Is my 3.5 GPA the death knell for t-14 hopes? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jeffreysfishtank

New

Is my 3.5 GPA the death knell for t-14 hopes?

Post by jeffreysfishtank » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:01 pm

TL:DR - Was dumb and withdrew from an entire semester of classes after the deadline. My college penalized me for it; did not even realize it until years later when thinking about law school. As a result, the withdrawal grades are considered all Fs. Was a straight A student otherwise--now ended up with a 3.5 GPA. Kicking myself for being a 19 year old idiot 9 years ago.

I'm attending another college online right now because my saving grace was I took off a few years without graduating (non-trad). Still pulling straight As and A+. I have estimated in the worst case scenario I spend 3 more years in school and get my GPA up to a 3.75-ish.

Is it worth it? Or should I just take my 3.5 and concentrate on the LSAT? I am gainfully employed so not losing income. I don't care about spending time doing this, but by the time I'm done and ready for law school I will potentially be a 31 year old woman and I feel like for hiring purposes I might as well be 90. :-(

DKM

New

Re: Is my 3.5 GPA the death knell for t-14 hopes?

Post by DKM » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:27 pm

I'm kind of confused by your question. Do you have a 3.5 now and already graduated? Because once you graduate your gpa is "locked in".

QabusNama

New

Post by QabusNama » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:28 pm

Not if you have a 172+ LSAT. Rule out HYS, but you have a good shot at other places depending on where you completed your undergrad.

JustWannaGraduate

New

Post by JustWannaGraduate » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:56 pm

jeffreysfishtank wrote:TL:DR - Was dumb and withdrew from an entire semester of classes after the deadline. My college penalized me for it; did not even realize it until years later when thinking about law school. As a result, the withdrawal grades are considered all Fs. Was a straight A student otherwise--now ended up with a 3.5 GPA. Kicking myself for being a 19 year old idiot 9 years ago.

I'm attending another college online right now because my saving grace was I took off a few years without graduating (non-trad). Still pulling straight As and A+. I have estimated in the worst case scenario I spend 3 more years in school and get my GPA up to a 3.75-ish.

Is it worth it? Or should I just take my 3.5 and concentrate on the LSAT? I am gainfully employed so not losing income. I don't care about spending time doing this, but by the time I'm done and ready for law school I will potentially be a 31 year old woman and I feel like for hiring purposes I might as well be 90. :-(
No. I had a 3.5 and am at an MVPD with a half scholarship. Get 170+ on your LSAT and you’ll be in for sure anywhere but T6, but money might vary. I ranged from 0 at Penn to 2/3 at Cornell

Jjbb938483

New

Post by Jjbb938483 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:49 pm

I am also a little confused by your question. Regardless of how we are supposed to interpret your post, a 3.5 is not going to lock you out of the T14 if your LSAT is high enough. With a lower GPA, the other parts of your application will be more important though. I know people say its all about the numbers but there's no doubt that the other things matter more when you're a splitter (low GPA/high LSAT).

Yulifus

New

Post by Yulifus » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:26 pm

If you have a high LSAT score and strong softs, you have a shot. If you a better chance at admission, then graduate from the other school with a higher GPA, and be a 31 y/o law school student. Being a nontraditional student also helps, because the admissions committee will see a trend in grades.

I'm 37 and going to law school. So what?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”