2nd Bachelors degree Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lawgiver1981

New

2nd Bachelors degree

Post by Lawgiver1981 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:21 am

I’m considering getting a second bachelors degree in Poli Sci or English Lit to raise my GPA. Would this help me get into a top 10 law school like Yale or Harvard?

BrainsyK

Bronze

Re: 2nd Bachelors degree

Post by BrainsyK » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:50 am

Your GPA is locked in once you complete your first Bachelors.

Law 202x

New

Post by Law 202x » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:31 am

Don't do it. They literally do not care, won't even look at it. I'd suggest doing your master's and that in itself might be a badge but still they only really care about the first bachelor's. I'd submit that meaningful work experience is more important at this point or you run the risk of looking like some kind of career student.

Lawgiver1981

New

Post by Lawgiver1981 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:36 am

Thank you

cuzzydunlop

New

Post by cuzzydunlop » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:16 pm

the only thing that matters is your final GPA for your first bachelors. nothing after that matters as far as your stats go and aren't going to move the needle much in the softs department. I've seen people with shitty UG GPA's put years of time between their UG and their grad work, dominate grad school, and still not out-perform their UG GPA.

at the end of the day, the vast overwhelming majority of applicants do not overperform their stats. law schools like to say they take a holistic approach -- we all know that's BS. all that matters are your numbers.* holistic approaches only take place when a top school is deciding which high-stat applicant they prefer.

* the only thing most of us care about is the law school's rank so we can't really complain about only caring about numbers

G_willy

New

Post by G_willy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:05 pm

As mentioned above, waste of time. Once you graduate your GPA is written in stone. I'm sure a second degree would add a little bit to the soft category but if you are doing it just to boost your GPA there is more to be gained from work exp.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”