Is my bachelor degree transferable to US? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
yeah

New

Is my bachelor degree transferable to US?

Post by yeah » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:24 pm

Somebody told me that since my bachelor degree in Europe is Law there is no way it will be transferred in a US bachelor degree and that’s because it’s Law and therefore will disqualify me from applying to Law School in US?

181plz

Bronze

Re: Is my bachelor degree transferable to US?

Post by 181plz » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:03 pm

Highly Highly doubt it. You can contact LSAC or some law schools to see if they would be open to receiving your application; I'm pretty confident that they will be.

MikkelVilla

New

Post by MikkelVilla » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:45 am

yeah wrote:Somebody told me that since my bachelor degree in Europe is Law there is no way it will be transferred in a US bachelor degree and that’s because it’s Law and therefore will disqualify me from applying to Law School in US?
I hold an LL.B. from Denmark. My degree was accepted by the LSAC and by all 16 schools I applied to. The process is a little bit longer and more convoluted but your degree counts. Even if it's a 3-year bachelor (as mine was). LSAC uses a US-based company that evaluates your bachelor degree and assigns it a score between 1-5 and that score is then basically your equivalent of a US GPA.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:39 pm

MikkelVilla wrote:
yeah wrote:Somebody told me that since my bachelor degree in Europe is Law there is no way it will be transferred in a US bachelor degree and that’s because it’s Law and therefore will disqualify me from applying to Law School in US?
I hold an LL.B. from Denmark. My degree was accepted by the LSAC and by all 16 schools I applied to. The process is a little bit longer and more convoluted but your degree counts. Even if it's a 3-year bachelor (as mine was). LSAC uses a US-based company that evaluates your bachelor degree and assigns it a score between 1-5 and that score is then basically your equivalent of a US GPA.
The Credentials Assembly Service is no longer categorizing as "Superior," "Above Average," "Average," and "Below Average"? Those used to be that categories.

Even if there is a comparison to GPA, it's not reportable as a GPA to the ABA or used in US News rankings. Therefore your cycle is likely to be different than, say a 3.0 or 4.0 would suggest.

MikkelVilla

New

Post by MikkelVilla » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:48 am

albanach wrote:
MikkelVilla wrote:
The Credentials Assembly Service is no longer categorizing as "Superior," "Above Average," "Average," and "Below Average"? Those used to be that categories.

Even if there is a comparison to GPA, it's not reportable as a GPA to the ABA or used in US News rankings. Therefore your cycle is likely to be different than, say a 3.0 or 4.0 would suggest.
They still use those terms, I meant to say 1-4 in my original post corresponding directly to those categories. My dean of admissions was the person who told me that they assign approximate GPA value to those categories after they have their own look at your foreign transcript. So if you are in Above Average and your grades "translate" in some way (like ECTS does) then they may assign it some GPA equivalent like 3.3 or 2.6 (who knows).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”