When is it worth it re-take the LSAT if you're getting into T-14 schools with little to no $$?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
abg591

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:24 pm

When is it worth it re-take the LSAT if you're getting into T-14 schools with little to no $$?

Postby abg591 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:05 pm

I'm in a tough situation. I've gotten into some great T-14 schools with a GPA that is well above most of the T-14 medians and some work experience in a top big-law firm, but unfortunately that work experience came at the expense of my LSAT score, which is below pretty much all the medians in the T-14. Which means I have been getting little to no merit aid, and even if I were to get max need-based aid at those schools, I'd still be looking at 6 figure debt.

Is it time to just bite the bullet, re-study and re-take the LSAT, and apply next cycle?

And if so, is it possible to defer my current admissions and have them re-evaluate my scholarship award with an updated LSAT score? Or will I have to start from scratch next cycle admissions-wise too?

Will these schools penalize me for denying admission one year to re-apply the following year with a better score?


I really wanted to start law school this fall, but I know that if I just gave myself more time to study for the LSAT without working 60-80 hour weeks, I'd end up with substantially less debt, so it'd be hard to accept these schools when it means I'll be in much more debt that I need to be in.

sparkytrainer

Silver
Posts: 805
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:32 am

Re: When is it worth it re-take the LSAT if you're getting into T-14 schools with little to no $$?

Postby sparkytrainer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:15 pm

Why not take the June test and use that as scholarship leverage?

abg591

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:24 pm

Re: When is it worth it re-take the LSAT if you're getting into T-14 schools with little to no $$?

Postby abg591 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:17 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:Why not take the June test and use that as scholarship leverage?


Wouldn't that be cutting it too close? The deadline for seat deposits are all in April or May :(

sparkytrainer

Silver
Posts: 805
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:32 am

Re: When is it worth it re-take the LSAT if you're getting into T-14 schools with little to no $$?

Postby sparkytrainer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:00 pm

abg591 wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:Why not take the June test and use that as scholarship leverage?


Wouldn't that be cutting it too close? The deadline for seat deposits are all in April or May :(


Yeah so deposit at the two schools you would attend and then retake the June test. You get a better score, you go back to the schools with the score and say pay up. If they dont, you just reapply in the fall.

I did this a few years ago to great success

User avatar
zhenders

Silver
Posts: 942
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: When is it worth it re-take the LSAT if you're getting into T-14 schools with little to no $$?

Postby zhenders » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:20 pm

It’s almost always worth it. The opportunity cost of sitting out a cycle is never/almost never worth the potential full ride that is available for many who study and retake. Additionally, you study for 100 hours and go from $0 to a full ride, you’re potentially paying yourself $2000/hour. You’ll simply never, ever make that kind of money again. Debt is very real. The less debt you have, the more you can invest as soon as you start working, which completely eliminates any opportunity cost arguments anyways.

Retake if you can emotionally handle it.

abg591

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:24 pm

Re: When is it worth it re-take the LSAT if you're getting into T-14 schools with little to no $$?

Postby abg591 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:54 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
abg591 wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:Why not take the June test and use that as scholarship leverage?


Wouldn't that be cutting it too close? The deadline for seat deposits are all in April or May :(


Yeah so deposit at the two schools you would attend and then retake the June test. You get a better score, you go back to the schools with the score and say pay up. If they dont, you just reapply in the fall.

I did this a few years ago to great success


Wow, had no idea this was even on the table - thank you! And congrats, I'm glad it worked well for you!



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ratperfect and 25 guests