Quitting job impact Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
181plz

Bronze

Quitting job impact

Post by 181plz » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:13 pm

I graduated in dec 2016 and took an independent contractor sales position, which I greatly enjoyed until recently. Toward the end of the year, the price of my product increased, my commission decreased, and my regional supervisor didn’t pay me my 1000$ bonus for being top sales rep of 2017. With all of these problems compounded, I pursued employment elsewhere in order to continue paying the bills.

I took a job that I don’t enjoy and that doesn’t pay as well as I’d prefer, because I needed to find something fast and I thought it was my best option to keep the lights on between now and the summer when I matriculate to law school. However, one of my old colleagues from the contracting position has found work which better suits my skillset, would be more enjoyable, and would pay a lot better. I’d like to leave my current job to work with him, but I’m nervous about the effect this may have on future employment as an attorney. Would it look bad for me to quit my current job after only 2 weeks? I’d offer to continue working for 2 additional weeks but I doubt they’d want me to.

Also, I worked a lot of different jobs throughout college so I’m scared that it’ll contribute to me looking flakey. I left all of them for legit reasons imo, which include relocation, finding better opportunities, and the fact that some of the work was intended to be seasonal.

Thanks for any insight.

icechicken

Bronze

Re: Quitting job impact

Post by icechicken » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:17 pm

As long as it doesn't create a big gap, why not simply omit the 2-week job from your resume?

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:23 pm

icechicken wrote:As long as it doesn't create a big gap, why not simply omit the 2-week job from your resume?
OP can omit it from his resume but he'll still have to do a background check at some employers that may require listing previous employers.

OP, omit it from your resume when you're interviewing, and when background check time happens, just say it wasn't a good fit if there are questions.

You're not the first and you won't be the last person to bail on a new job two weeks in. It's not great, but you gotta do you. They could fire you just as easily two weeks in if they didn't like you or decided to prioritize things differently.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magnum_law

Bronze

Post by magnum_law » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:53 pm

No big deal OP.

When bar time comes, don't forget to disclose this in the C&F section. Also try to leave on good terms b/c state bar will contact old employers and ask about you

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”