Does anyone have the admission index for Boston University? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Law 202x

New

Does anyone have the admission index for Boston University?

Post by Law 202x » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:59 pm

The numbers don't appear to be published in LSAC's Admissions Index page. Do some schools not report their index to LSAC?

coskigirl

Bronze

Re: Does anyone have the admission index for Boston University?

Post by coskigirl » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:34 pm

Not all schools use an index.

Jjbb938483

New

Post by Jjbb938483 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:55 pm

BU does not use an index anymore.

Law 202x

New

Post by Law 202x » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:04 pm

Fascinating. So how do they determine admissions? Is it a hard and fast rule, like nothing below x threshold?

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:27 am

Law 202x wrote:Fascinating. So how do they determine admissions? Is it a hard and fast rule, like nothing below x threshold?
I was waitlisted with a 156 and 2.69 GPA.... so I'd say no, but I was lucky.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Law 202x

New

Post by Law 202x » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:31 am

KPUSN07 wrote: I was waitlisted with a 156 and 2.69 GPA.... so I'd say no, but I was lucky.
That's very interesting and I'm sure there's a deep explanation for that. I used the LSAC calculator, entered my GPA of 2.93 and put LSAT as 180 and my odds didn't crack 15%. So one would think a 2.69/156 would result in a categorical rejection.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:37 am

Law 202x wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:
Law 202x wrote:Fascinating. So how do they determine admissions? Is it a hard and fast rule, like nothing below x threshold?
That's very interesting and I'm sure there's a deep explanation for that. I used the LSAC calculator, entered my GPA of 2.93 and put LSAT as 180 and my odds didn't crack 15%. So one would think a 2.69/156 would result in a categorical rejection.
There's your mistake. LSAC applies an archaic formula to suggest a percentage of admission, which is laughable since they are the gatherers of admissions materials.

There's no deep explanation for statistical modeling. Law schools drive their admissions for certain medians in LSAT/GPA currently. LSAC's formula doesn't calculate that way because they're applying a generic formula across every school, which isn't easily done because schools are handling statistical control individually.

Law 202x

New

Post by Law 202x » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:41 am

I didn't know that. I would have thought they had a more sophisticated method of establishing probabilities. I personally suspect BC and BU very closely mirror each other and so I could probably use thr BC formula and get highly accurate results. That's only a conjecture based off of studying the numbers for so long.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:49 am

Law 202x wrote:I didn't know that. I would have thought they had a more sophisticated method of establishing probabilities. I personally suspect BC and BU very closely mirror each other and so I could probably use thr BC formula and get highly accurate results. That's only a conjecture based off of studying the numbers for so long.
They aren't responsible for giving you chances of admission with any amount of accuracy. And LSAC's calculation is trash generally, even within direct peers like BU and BC. If BU needs a higher LSAT to meet their median goals, they might take a median LSAT with a sub-par GPA thinking they'll definitely get that student, while BC might need a higher GPA in order to maintain their GPA median. This can get somewhat precise because admissions are dealing with ~1000-1500 admissions to manage ~230-250 students that will match their goal LSAT/GPA profile. Statistical smoothing will happen where there is bunching around BU and BC's LSAT/GPA median, but that doesn't accurately predict whether someone near one of those bunches while far from the other bunch should/can/will get in.

And that does nothing to account for URM admissions and other outliers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:44 am

UVA2B wrote:
Law 202x wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:
There's your mistake. LSAC applies an archaic formula to suggest a percentage of admission, which is laughable since they are the gatherers of admissions materials.

There's no deep explanation for statistical modeling. Law schools drive their admissions for certain medians in LSAT/GPA currently. LSAC's formula doesn't calculate that way because they're applying a generic formula across every school, which isn't easily done because schools are handling statistical control individually.
Although to the OP - I'd say I'm a bit of an anomaly and not the norm.... I'm active duty military with 10.5 years of WE and attended a difficult UG.... For comparison I was rejected from BC - so I was shocked when this WL came in.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:02 am

Also, a waitlist isn't an acceptance. Getting waitlisted with those stats doesn't say anything about whether someone with different stats will get accepted - my impression is that a lot of schools will use the waitlist as a soft rejection for candidates who have great applications except their numbers.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:06 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Also, a waitlist isn't an acceptance. Getting waitlisted with those stats doesn't say anything about whether someone with different stats will get accepted - my impression is that a lot of schools will use the waitlist as a soft rejection for candidates who have great applications except their numbers.
You're probably right in that respect - to an extent - obviously it's not cut and dry as folks do get accepted (I don't what the acceptance rate is off the WL at BU), but for the most part a WL with numbers similar to mine is likely a soft denial.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:21 am

KPUSN07 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Also, a waitlist isn't an acceptance. Getting waitlisted with those stats doesn't say anything about whether someone with different stats will get accepted - my impression is that a lot of schools will use the waitlist as a soft rejection for candidates who have great applications except their numbers.
You're probably right in that respect - to an extent - obviously it's not cut and dry as folks do get accepted (I don't what the acceptance rate is off the WL at BU), but for the most part a WL with numbers similar to mine is likely a soft denial.
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that the school is saying they see something good in your application (I treasure my waitlist rather than outright rejection to one of my reach schools!). But in terms of assessing admissions chances I'd say at least it's too early to tell what your numbers add to the conversation.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:32 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that the school is saying they see something good in your application (I treasure my waitlist rather than outright rejection to one of my reach schools!). But in terms of assessing admissions chances I'd say at least it's too early to tell what your numbers add to the conversation.
Absolutely!

Was trying to provide a tangential data point to the OP - is you look at LSN, I'm not sure if anyone has been admitted with these number this early in the cycle....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”