Chicago-Kent, worth it? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mmart207

Bronze

Chicago-Kent, worth it?

Post by mmart207 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:58 pm

I just got into Chicago-Kent with a full tuition scholarship that has no GPA renewal stipulations. I live in Chicago, so I would be able to live at home while in law school. I want to eventually work in the criminal field, preferably a DA in the city. Is Kent worth it?

cavalier1138

Re: Chicago-Kent, worth it?

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:07 pm

I mean, it's worth going for free for that goal. There are probably better options (UIUC seems like the most bang for your buck with those goals), but as long as you hustle, local prosecution should be doable from Kent.

mmart207

Bronze

Post by mmart207 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:17 pm

Thank you for the insight! I definitely applied to UIUC just haven't heard back yet. I also applied to William and Mary ED since they give the full tuition scholarships too and I'll hear back by February 1st the latest. By hustle do you mean I'd have to be at the top of my class?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:29 pm

ADA jobs aren't usually hugely grades-conscious - it's more important to get as much real-world experience (ideally in the DA's office) and meet as many people in the DA's office as you can.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:48 pm

mmart207 wrote:Thank you for the insight! I definitely applied to UIUC just haven't heard back yet. I also applied to William and Mary ED since they give the full tuition scholarships too and I'll hear back by February 1st the latest. By hustle do you mean I'd have to be at the top of my class?
If you want to be a DA in Chicago, Chicago-Kent for free is probably a better option than W&M. Outside of the top schools, legal hiring is very localized and even more so for DA type jobs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mmart207

Bronze

Post by mmart207 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:56 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
mmart207 wrote:Thank you for the insight! I definitely applied to UIUC just haven't heard back yet. I also applied to William and Mary ED since they give the full tuition scholarships too and I'll hear back by February 1st the latest. By hustle do you mean I'd have to be at the top of my class?
If you want to be a DA in Chicago, Chicago-Kent for free is probably a better option than W&M. Outside of the top schools, legal hiring is very localized and even more so for DA type jobs.
Thank you Mr. Goodman. What would you suggest if I want to be a DA but not set in stone in terms of location?

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:01 pm

What is your GPA and LSAT?

This info will help us understand what options are available to you.

EDIT: took out URM question b/c it was answered elsewhere

mmart207

Bronze

Post by mmart207 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:03 pm

Yes I am a URM. 3.7 and 157. I am aware that retaking would be beneficial. I applied this cycle with the intentions of retaking if I did not like the offers I received.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:42 pm

Honestly with that GPA and as an URM you could do better than Chicago-Kent at full. I think you should retake, especially if you want any geographic flexibility at all or if you want to work for the feds.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mmart207

Bronze

Post by mmart207 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:45 pm

I applied to a bunch of schools so if I don't like the offers I'll just retake. Would W&M at full be worth it?

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:56 pm

Someone who knows more about W&M can chime in, but the big issue here is geographic flexibility. That's relatively tough to get from schools outside of the T-14, so if it's important to you, the impression I get is that neither Chicago-Kent nor W&M is going to give you what you want.

How likely is it that your score would improve on a retake? You don't have to tell me, but be honest with yourself. Did you prep as much as you'll ever be prepped, or did you (probably) leave some points on the table?

I know you don't want people to tell you to retake, but your question inherently requires an analysis of your alternatives, which include retaking. Whether it's "worth it" means whether the benefits outweigh the costs, including the opportunity costs you might incur by attending (eg) Chicago-Kent instead of waiting a year and retaking.

I mean, someone with your LSAT got into UChicago last year. If you can push it higher, who knows how well you could do? Chicago-Kent seems to me to be way undershooting your potential.

mmart207

Bronze

Post by mmart207 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:04 am

I prepped for a total of about 6-7 months. I actually retook already and only improved by a point. I started at a cold diagnostic of 140 so I don't think I can improve by much at this point.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:22 pm

mmart207 wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Thank you Mr. Goodman. What would you suggest if I want to be a DA but not set in stone in terms of location?
If you want national geographic reach, you'll need to apply to the T14 (or T20 if you've got a general region down but it doesn't look like you do yet). Chicago-Kent and W&M for free aren't bad options for your goals, but where you go will pretty much determine where you'll work afterwards (unless you have strong ties to the legal market elsewhere, but even then nothing is guaranteed). I wouldn't go to either at this point unless you are 100% comfortable choosing where to work now, which is what you'd do if you commit to either school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:42 pm

mmart207 wrote:Yes I am a URM. 3.7 and 157. I am aware that retaking would be beneficial. I applied this cycle with the intentions of retaking if I did not like the offers I received.
I mean Kent for free is fine for what you want, but you could go to Chicago for almost free with a better LSAT.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:13 pm

Winter is Coming wrote:
mmart207 wrote:Yes I am a URM. 3.7 and 157. I am aware that retaking would be beneficial. I applied this cycle with the intentions of retaking if I did not like the offers I received.
I mean Kent for free is fine for what you want, but you could go to Chicago for almost free with a better LSAT.
Yeah I work in Chicago and this is the way I feel. You don’t see many Kent grads in biglaw and you’re unlikely to be an AUSA here with a Kent degree but if you’re dedicated to being an ADA in Cook County then Kent for free is not a bad choice.

Also kinda feels like you’re leaving a full ride at a better school that could open more doors as a URM with a 3.7 but it’s not like Kent for free to be an ADA is an objectively bad choice here.

mmart207

Bronze

Post by mmart207 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:53 pm

Mullens wrote:
Winter is Coming wrote:
Yeah I work in Chicago and this is the way I feel. You don’t see many Kent grads in biglaw and you’re unlikely to be an AUSA here with a Kent degree but if you’re dedicated to being an ADA in Cook County then Kent for free is not a bad choice.

Also kinda feels like you’re leaving a full ride at a better school that could open more doors as a URM with a 3.7 but it’s not like Kent for free to be an ADA is an objectively bad choice here.
I see where you're coming from, but I'm not even the least bit interested in biglaw. I applied broadly and I'm still waiting to hear back at almost all of the schools.

TripleM

Bronze

Post by TripleM » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:17 pm

If you do decide to redo next year (and I think that's a good idea) Northwestern should definitely be in your mix. If it's true that you've applied broadly then this thread is a bit premature. Worth it? It depends on what your other options are. Is a free bike with a flat tire worth it? If that's your only option it may be. But you don't know, yet, if that's the only option. Maybe a limo is about to pull up. Your question isn't wrong, it's just the wrong time for us to be able to give you a meaningful answer. Any answer we give is only valid until your next acceptance/rejection email arrives, then must be re-calculated.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:14 pm

mmart207 wrote:
Mullens wrote:
Winter is Coming wrote:

I see where you're coming from, but I'm not even the least bit interested in biglaw. I applied broadly and I'm still waiting to hear back at almost all of the schools.
It's not just about biglaw though, for better or worse the people in this profession tend to be pretty pedigree obsessed. There are intangible advantages that a Chicago/NW degree will give you that Kent won't even in the public interest world. Some people have to make the choice between Kent for free and Chicago for sticker, which I'm saying you won't have to if you can just get that LSAT up a few points.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:08 pm

Great outcome for your goals. Hustle and network hard in law schooll and you’ll be fine.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”