How will you contribute to ___ Law School? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BigMoose

New

How will you contribute to ___ Law School?

Post by BigMoose » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:10 pm

Does anyone have any idea how to coherently answer the above question in an interview? I was asked that in an interview for one of the T14 and I almost completely blanked out. I have an interview with UChicago coming up and in their FAQ for interviews they write, "The interviewer will likely want to know more about...the type of contribution you can potentially make to our law school environment." What in the world are they looking for?

MonicaYoung_LOL

Bronze

Re: How will you contribute to ___ Law School?

Post by MonicaYoung_LOL » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:15 pm

BigMoose wrote:Does anyone have any idea how to coherently answer the above question in an interview? I was asked that in an interview for one of the T14 and I almost completely blanked out. I have an interview with UChicago coming up and in their FAQ for interviews they write, "The interviewer will likely want to know more about...the type of contribution you can potentially make to our law school environment." What in the world are they looking for?
They did ask me this on the interview. I don't know that they're looking for a specific answer as "correct": just be honest! What do you think makes you a cool person and someone that they would want on their campus? Think of maybe one or two adjectives that make you unique and just say those. Just don't pick, like, "diligent." Obviously if you're an applicant being afforded an interview, you're hardworking. But think about something that sets you apart.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:17 pm

Good things about you - your skills and characteristics. I will contribute strong training in writing acquired through ——. I will contribute experience with people from all kinds of backgrounds acquired through ——. I will contribute a great sense of humor. I will contribute a great work ethic. I will contribute an open mind and willingness to engage with people who disagree with me. Fill in whatever applies to you. Ideally have some specific examples supporting what you say about yourself.

(I agree that diligent isn’t exactly the most original/exciting, but it could allow you to talk about, say, working three jobs all through college, or whatever.)

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:18 pm

"Annually."

BigMoose

New

Post by BigMoose » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:24 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:"Annually."
Hahaha. I love that. I actually laughed out loud.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigMoose

New

Post by BigMoose » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:31 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Good things about you - your skills and characteristics. I will contribute strong training in writing acquired through ——. I will contribute experience with people from all kinds of backgrounds acquired through ——. I will contribute a great sense of humor. I will contribute a great work ethic. I will contribute an open mind and willingness to engage with people who disagree with me. Fill in whatever applies to you. Ideally have some specific examples supporting what you say about yourself.

(I agree that diligent isn’t exactly the most original/exciting, but it could allow you to talk about, say, working three jobs all through college, or whatever.)
I like the "great sense of humor" answer and the "willingness to engage." I feel like they would help me come off as very relaxed and chilled.

BigMoose

New

Post by BigMoose » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:33 pm

MonicaYoung_LOL wrote:
BigMoose wrote:Does anyone have any idea how to coherently answer the above question in an interview? I was asked that in an interview for one of the T14 and I almost completely blanked out. I have an interview with UChicago coming up and in their FAQ for interviews they write, "The interviewer will likely want to know more about...the type of contribution you can potentially make to our law school environment." What in the world are they looking for?
They did ask me this on the interview. I don't know that they're looking for a specific answer as "correct": just be honest! What do you think makes you a cool person and someone that they would want on their campus? Think of maybe one or two adjectives that make you unique and just say those. Just don't pick, like, "diligent." Obviously if you're an applicant being afforded an interview, you're hardworking. But think about something that sets you apart.
Thanks. Congrats on getting an interview also. Do you have any idea what the acceptance rate is for those granted an interview? I'd love to know.

MonicaYoung_LOL

Bronze

Post by MonicaYoung_LOL » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:38 pm

BigMoose wrote:
MonicaYoung_LOL wrote:
Thanks. Congrats on getting an interview also. Do you have any idea what the acceptance rate is for those granted an interview? I'd love to know.

From what I've seen, I think--and I could be wrong--but it tends to be like 75-80%? I could be incorrect though, so someone else might know the exact statistic.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”