NUSL($0) v. Suffolk($75k) v. NESL (full) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
himi bimi

New

NUSL($0) v. Suffolk($75k) v. NESL (full)

Post by himi bimi » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:22 pm

I have 7 years legal work experience (3.5 with private law firm and 2.5 with U.S. Attorney's Office) and an MPA. I want to work as an attorney for the federal government and thus am debt-adverse. I have conditional tenure with the federal government (good for three years) which is a decent fall back if I can't find a job. Any advice?

AaronCarter

Bronze

Re: NUSL($0) v. Suffolk($75k) v. NESL (full)

Post by AaronCarter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:24 pm

What is NESL

himi bimi

New

Post by himi bimi » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:25 pm

Sorry, New England School of Law

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:31 pm

I'd say absolutely take the full tuition scholarship.

Either that or retake and shoot for BU/BC

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:32 pm

The federal government is a big place. Which agencies are you targeting?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

himi bimi

New

Post by himi bimi » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:10 pm

Specifically in the Boston area. If I could get back in with the USAO as a law intern ( these can eventually be converted into SAUSAs), I'd be satisfied. I'm pretty tight with the admin here.

himi bimi

New

Post by himi bimi » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:19 pm

Also waiting to hear back from BU and BC but those are likely rejections.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:28 pm

himi bimi wrote:Specifically in the Boston area. If I could get back in with the USAO as a law intern ( these can eventually be converted into SAUSAs), I'd be satisfied. I'm pretty tight with the admin here.
Are you tight enough that you have a guaranteed offer? If not, I don't think any of these schools get you into a halfway-competitive USAO.

himi bimi

New

Post by himi bimi » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:19 pm

True

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hamshotfirst

New

Post by hamshotfirst » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:46 am

I've worked with Mass/Boston government agencies and legislators and have gained a pretty good insight into government operations in the area. None of these are likely to get you into federal government for a full time job. NU might get you a co-op, but it's not very good at placing full-time jobs, and those that they do place are often in state government (not sure how much this will change if Healy who's a NU grad leaves the AG office). Suffolk feeds pretty well into state government, but not federal. Hell, even BC/BU don't feed that well into federal. I also have family who went to NE and I can say with confidence...don't go to NE unless you want to do your own practice.

Given your background, it might be possible to get a federal job if you just hustle your butt of and network like crazy, but you won't get any help from the schools.

himi bimi

New

Post by himi bimi » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:50 am

hamshotfirst wrote:I've worked with Mass/Boston government agencies and legislators and have gained a pretty good insight into government operations in the area. None of these are likely to get you into federal government for a full time job. NU might get you a co-op, but it's not very good at placing full-time jobs, and those that they do place are often in state government (not sure how much this will change if Healy who's a NU grad leaves the AG office). Suffolk feeds pretty well into state government, but not federal. Hell, even BC/BU don't feed that well into federal. I also have family who went to NE and I can say with confidence...don't go to NE unless you want to do your own practice.

Given your background, it might be possible to get a federal job if you just hustle your butt of and network like crazy, but you won't get any help from the schools.

Thank you very much for this insight. That's frustrating that even BU/BC graduates have challenges facing placements.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:54 am

himi bimi wrote:If I could get back in with the USAO as a law intern ( these can eventually be converted into SAUSAs)
What do you mean by this? I don’t think it’s correct.

You probably want to look at relatively recent hires in the office and see what qualifications they’ve had. Connections are super helpful, of course, but an office has to justify being able to hire you. Frankly I’d be surprised if that office hired out of NESL.

himi bimi

New

Post by himi bimi » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:07 pm

I know someone who went to NESL at night while working as a contract paralegal for my office who was offered a contract law clerk position and now works as a special Assistant U.S. Attorney. This is indeed rare and it took a couple of years. The more I hear the more I'm leaning away from both New England (due to outcomes) and Northeastern (due to costs). If I get into BU/BC, I think it will be between Suffolk ($) or those or just skip law school altogether.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:12 pm

himi bimi wrote:I know someone who went to NESL at night while working as a contract paralegal for my office who was offered a contract law clerk position and now works as a special Assistant U.S. Attorney. This is indeed rare and it took a couple of years. The more I hear the more I'm leaning away from both New England (due to outcomes) and Northeastern (due to costs). If I get into BU/BC, I think it will be between Suffolk ($) or those or just skip law school altogether.
Bolded. This, or just wait until you have a better LSAT score to give you better options

himi bimi

New

Post by himi bimi » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:39 pm

No it's paid. I know for a time some of those SAUSAs positions were unpaid but of the few in our office, they are all paid.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”