Do I need an LSAT Addendum? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
macallan30

New

Do I need an LSAT Addendum?

Post by macallan30 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:37 am

Hello,

I took the LSAT 5 times. The first two were cancellations (took the test cold turkey and wasn't happy, then got sick before the test).

Then I scored a 169 and a 168 (which were below my PT average) and then a 176.

Should I write an addendum explaining these scores, particularly the cancellations? I am applying to the top tier schools.

Any and all feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

icechicken

Bronze

Re: Do I need an LSAT Addendum?

Post by icechicken » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:21 am

You probably do need one with that testing record.

Dean Asha touched on this topic once or twice in her blog, and I think her advice is solid:
Dean Asha wrote:You may include an addendum if you feel that there is something in your application that requires further explanation. Examples of issues that might require addenda are: an aberration in your grades in a course or semester; a significant score differential after taking the LSAT twice; or some period of time when you withdrew from school. There may be others, and you should make the call on whether you need to include an addendum. Remember that the purpose of an addendum is to clarify an issue that might otherwise be overlooked or misinterpreted, so you just need to flag it, give your clarification/explanation, and be done. Brief, to-the-point addenda are always more effective than lengthy narratives.
The above is echoed in most schools' FAQs:
UChicago wrote:Any large differences between LSAT scores should be explained in an addendum (uploaded through the LSAC electronic application). If you submit an addendum, we are looking for your honest assessment of why one score is a better predictor of your ability than another.
NYU wrote:If a candidate can point out specific reasons why the Committee should consider an LSAT score aberrant, they should detail those reasons in an addendum to the personal statement.
Harvard wrote:If you have concerns about sharing all test results from the last five years, then please consider submitting an addendum for your application explaining those concerns. We will still require all test scores from the last 5 years, but the committee will review those scores along with your addendum.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:43 am

I would only bother explaining the cancellations.

macallan30

New

Post by macallan30 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:15 pm

icechicken wrote:You probably do need one with that testing record.

Dean Asha touched on this topic once or twice in her blog, and I think her advice is solid:
Dean Asha wrote:You may include an addendum if you feel that there is something in your application that requires further explanation. Examples of issues that might require addenda are: an aberration in your grades in a course or semester; a significant score differential after taking the LSAT twice; or some period of time when you withdrew from school. There may be others, and you should make the call on whether you need to include an addendum. Remember that the purpose of an addendum is to clarify an issue that might otherwise be overlooked or misinterpreted, so you just need to flag it, give your clarification/explanation, and be done. Brief, to-the-point addenda are always more effective than lengthy narratives.
The above is echoed in most schools' FAQs:
UChicago wrote:Any large differences between LSAT scores should be explained in an addendum (uploaded through the LSAC electronic application). If you submit an addendum, we are looking for your honest assessment of why one score is a better predictor of your ability than another.
NYU wrote:If a candidate can point out specific reasons why the Committee should consider an LSAT score aberrant, they should detail those reasons in an addendum to the personal statement.
Harvard wrote:If you have concerns about sharing all test results from the last five years, then please consider submitting an addendum for your application explaining those concerns. We will still require all test scores from the last 5 years, but the committee will review those scores along with your addendum.
Thanks for this info. I was going to write one but I just saw this post where it seems like people were saying you should only write an addendum if there was a serious problem (medical condition, death in the family, etc) that resulted in a lower LSAT score, so I was unsure if I should write one as I didn't have a highly extenuating circumstance like that.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:12 pm

macallan30 wrote:Thanks for this info. I was going to write one but I just saw this post where it seems like people were saying you should only write an addendum if there was a serious problem (medical condition, death in the family, etc) that resulted in a lower LSAT score, so I was unsure if I should write one as I didn't have a highly extenuating circumstance like that.
The addenda you're referring to tend to be about justifying why someone got a low score (which is almost never a good idea). Your addendum isn't needed to excuse your numbers; it should just be 2-3 sentences explaining why you had those extra takes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cuzzydunlop

New

Post by cuzzydunlop » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:40 pm

my score went up 13 points from September to December. I was sick when I took it in September but decided not to cancel because I wanted the data for my December studying. I didn't write any LSAT addendums (all my apps were sent last week). Does it matter?

macallan30

New

Post by macallan30 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:55 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
macallan30 wrote:Thanks for this info. I was going to write one but I just saw this post where it seems like people were saying you should only write an addendum if there was a serious problem (medical condition, death in the family, etc) that resulted in a lower LSAT score, so I was unsure if I should write one as I didn't have a highly extenuating circumstance like that.
The addenda you're referring to tend to be about justifying why someone got a low score (which is almost never a good idea). Your addendum isn't needed to excuse your numbers; it should just be 2-3 sentences explaining why you had those extra takes.
Thanks, I appreciate the clarification. Would I need to explain the last three scores for schools like UChicago who say "any large differences between LSAT scores should be explained in an addendum"? Or is that for 10+ point increases, and explaining the cancellations would suffice.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:08 pm

macallan30 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Thanks, I appreciate the clarification. Would I need to explain the last three scores for schools like UChicago who say "any large differences between LSAT scores should be explained in an addendum"? Or is that for 10+ point increases, and explaining the cancellations would suffice.
I wouldn't bother. (same goes for the not-OP who asked)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”