Middle school grades/discipline?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BokoClubisBadlyDmgd

New

Middle school grades/discipline?

Postby BokoClubisBadlyDmgd » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:02 pm

So one of my LORs is from a middle school teacher that I know really well and helped me out through high school and college, and I did some pro-bono work with her class, etc. All that being said, I was an idiot in middle school and got bad (passable but bad) grades and got in plenty of not-too-serious disciplinary trouble (detentions, etc.). Should I disclose this in an addendum?? Will adcomms have any access to grades from before high school? Freaking out over here and trying to get into HYS

preamble

Bronze

Re: Middle school grades/discipline?

Postby preamble » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:05 pm

Yale's application actually asks you to list the number of primary school detentions you received. You should definitely consider an addendum.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:14 pm

You also fail at trolling.

This is just awful
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

invisibleone

New

Postby invisibleone » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:21 pm

No, schools will not have access to your middle school grades. Y&S also do not have C&F language that would require you to disclose.

I emailed Harvard about their broad C&F wording regarding "any educational institution" and was encouraged to disclose an incident from middle school. I checked my intended practice jurisdiction, and the bar requires one to report everything after the age of 13 - so it actually matters I get it right.

In the end, could I probably have not disclosed getting suspended in 8th grade? Probably. However, I got a JS1 so I don't think it mattered in the least that I reported. I played it safe and I'm glad.
Last edited by invisibleone on Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BokoClubisBadlyDmgd

New

Postby BokoClubisBadlyDmgd » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:21 pm

preamble wrote:Yale's application actually asks you to list the number of primary school detentions you received. You should definitely consider an addendum.

That's what I was thinking. People are telling me that it doesn't matter but I'm afraid if i don't say anything I'll be screwed.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Postby KissMyAxe » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:24 pm

preamble wrote:Yale's application actually asks you to list the number of primary school detentions you received. You should definitely consider an addendum.

I don't think an addendum is going to work here. Those are some serious C&F issues, and Yale definitely asks about primary school detentions. I've never heard of anyone getting into YLS when their record shows such lack of judgment. I'm going to guess Harvard and Stanford are the same way. OP, I think your only option is to find another middle school teacher to recommend you, retake the LSAT, and then apply early decision to UVA. Maybe contact a C&F attorney to make sure there won't be any issues with passing the bar. Best of luck to you.

mcmand

Silver

Postby mcmand » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:38 pm

OP, assuming you're not a troll, I'll bite. No, your middle school misbehavior doesn't matter one whit (assuming you never ended up in the state's juvenile justice system).

Use your head and don't over think stuff.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:54 pm

The addendum for this should be at least 5,000 words. Not including footnotes, which you should absolutely have.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�