Whether or not to apply when waiting is an option.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
binny12

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:09 pm

Whether or not to apply when waiting is an option.

Postby binny12 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I am trying to decide whether to apply to law schools this cycle or next year. I have been contemplating this for months and am still undecided, so of course I am turning to strangers on the internet for advice.

I have taken the LSAT twice after extensive self-study. My most recent score from December is a 164, and my GPA is 3.86. With this LSAT score, I know that I am around the 25th percentile for some top tier schools (Northwestern, Georgetown, etc.), so there is a chance that I can get accepted to top schools though I recognize it will be difficult. I have been looking on law school numbers and seeing some people accepted with the same stats.

I am, however, also working a comfortable job as a research associate that I can keep for another year, should I want to take the LSAT one last time (though I am not completely certain how to improve my score) and apply early decision to a school like Northwestern with scholarships. But a year is a significant amount of time to wait, and I am not sure if it will make a substantial difference for my application.

I am also not sure if applying earlier in the next cycle will make a difference for scholarships, even if I was accepted to schools either way.

So I would love to hear the opinions of people who have a better understanding of the admissions/scholarship process.

Thank you!

goldenbear2020

Silver
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: Whether or not to apply when waiting is an option.

Postby goldenbear2020 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:58 pm

Why not apply this cycle and then retake/reapply if necessary?

binny12

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:09 pm

Re: Whether or not to apply when waiting is an option.

Postby binny12 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:28 pm

My main concern is that I need to let my boss know that I want to keep my job an additional year, otherwise they will hire a replacement for me. I worry that I won't get into a high ranked law school and will lose my job in the process. I'm also not sure how different the offers would be if I got a higher LSAT score and/or applied earlier.



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kobesmith and 6 guests