Retake? 169, 3.94 (I'm sorry I didn't come up with a better name) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jci007

New

Retake? 169, 3.94 (I'm sorry I didn't come up with a better name)

Post by jci007 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:20 am

So I got a 169 in December which was a 4 point improvement from my September score and I have a 3.94 LSAC GPA. I would be happy with pretty much any mid-range T-14 school.

Is it worth retaking in February? My average PT score is about a 171 which is a pretty small deviation from my test day score. I'm also concerned about navigating a potential application hold with a pending score on my file. What do you guys think?

icechicken

Bronze

Re: Retake? 169, 3.94 (I'm sorry I didn't come up with a better name)

Post by icechicken » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:46 am

You'll probably get big money in the T13 and medium money at Chicago/NYU, so I'd just apply now and see how things shake out. You're right that you're not leaving a lot of points on the table with only a 2-point gap between your PT average and your actual score (not even statistically significant). And you've already got the numbers for your goals - well done! - so you can take a well-deserved breather while you wait for the application process to move forward.

If you miss the scholarships boat for some reason, or you wake up one day and realize you want to gun for HYSColumbia, you can always grind for a mid-170s score in June or September and apply early next cycle.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:12 am

There is anecdotal merit to using a Feb LSAT score in scholarship negotiations. While I agree with the above that there’s really no harm in applying given your goals I also don’t think there’s any harm outside the few hundred bucks it costs to take it again in FEB.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eleven

New

Post by Eleven » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:50 am

Keep your money. No need to retake. You have a 70% chance at getting over 100k scholly to a few of the bottom half of the T13. Very jealous!

http://mylsn.info/y5olv1/

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:56 am

OP I think you should retake February purely for scholarship purposes. Get 3-4 more questions right, and you are looking at a full ride. If you bomb feb, who cares? It won't make a difference.

There is literally nothing to lose but everything to gain with retaking here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jci007

New

Post by jci007 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:56 am

Thank you all for the responses! I do have a question about the ramifications of taking in February. I assume that I'll have to inform all of the schools I'm applying to that I will be taking it again & to review my app for admissions prior to that score coming out.

Is it really true that there aren't any consequences to a lower score? If I get lower than a 169, won't the schools I applied to automatically receive that score? I know it matters less for schools who don't average but there's always a little worry that a score drop could hurt my chances. Thoughts??

jci007

New

Post by jci007 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:23 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:OP I think you should retake February purely for scholarship purposes. Get 3-4 more questions right, and you are looking at a full ride. If you bomb feb, who cares? It won't make a difference.

Is there really nothing to lose though? Wouldn't a lower score in February reflect poorly on my application if it's still under review?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:53 pm

jci007 wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:OP I think you should retake February purely for scholarship purposes. Get 3-4 more questions right, and you are looking at a full ride. If you bomb feb, who cares? It won't make a difference.

Is there really nothing to lose though? Wouldn't a lower score in February reflect poorly on my application if it's still under review?
Nope!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”