I forgot to disclose a C&F issue...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MercW07

Bronze

I forgot to disclose a C&F issue...

Postby MercW07 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:54 pm

I just submitted my applications the other day and I disclosed one C&F issue that happened recently (DUI), but I forgot to disclose an MIP that I received a little over 6 years ago. I was just so concerned about the recent issue that I had that I completely forgot about the old issue. Also, Im not even entirely sure what the end result of my MIP was. I hired a lawyer for it, but we never met in person, and never really discussed the case at all. He was a friend of a family friend and he pretty much just told me he'd take care of it. A couple months later he called me back after my court date (which I was told I didn't even have to attend) and told I just had 2 years probation, which I completed. Im guessing some type of deal was made?, but I have no idea. When it comes to writing an addendum Im not even entirely sure what I would say, but I could come up with something. My main concern at this point is that this will look like Im trying to hide the MIP because my recent C&F issue is alcohol related as well. Do I just send the schools an email trying my best to explain what happened and attach a C&F addendum to it?

Also, in one of my applications I read that unless it was a felony offense, I did not have to disclose anything that happened more that 5 years ago. Could that just be a school specific thing, or are C&F addendum's not necessary for more minor incidents that happened 5+ years ago?

Pneumonia

Gold

Re: I forgot to disclose a C&F issue...

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:03 pm

MercW07 wrote:I just submitted my applications the other day and I disclosed one C&F issue that happened recently (DUI), but I forgot to disclose an MIP that I received a little over 6 years ago. I was just so concerned about the recent issue that I had that I completely forgot about the old issue. Also, Im not even entirely sure what the end result of my MIP was. I hired a lawyer for it, but we never met in person, and never really discussed the case at all. He was a friend of a family friend and he pretty much just told me he'd take care of it. A couple months later he called me back after my court date (which I was told I didn't even have to attend) and told I just had 2 years probation, which I completed. Im guessing some type of deal was made?, but I have no idea. When it comes to writing an addendum Im not even entirely sure what I would say, but I could come up with something. My main concern at this point is that this will look like Im trying to hide the MIP because my recent C&F issue is alcohol related as well. Do I just send the schools an email trying my best to explain what happened and attach a C&F addendum to it?

Also, in one of my applications I read that unless it was a felony offense, I did not have to disclose anything that happened more that 5 years ago. Could that just be a school specific thing, or are C&F addendum's not necessary for more minor incidents that happened 5+ years ago?

You do need to update your applications. You should write a short addendum and convert it to PDF. Submit through LSAC if possible, but if not you can attach the PDF to an even shorter email explaining the omission. The individual schools won't necessarily realize that this was a global error on your part, and there's no need to make them aware of that. You can just say something like "I notice that my application to XLS inadvertently omitted an addendum related to C&F."

The answer is probably more complicated if you checked the wrong boxes on LSAC. It's been a while, so I don't remember if that's even a possibility. But I read your post as saying that you failed to mention something rather than saying that you affirmatively gave a wrong answer to something. If the latter, please clarify.

The 5-years-or-less thing is school-specific. You should very carefully read what each school asks for. Err on the side of disclosure.

FN-2187

Bronze

Postby FN-2187 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:05 pm

MercW07 wrote:Also, in one of my applications I read that unless it was a felony offense, I did not have to disclose anything that happened more that 5 years ago. Could that just be a school specific thing, or are C&F addendum's not necessary for more minor incidents that happened 5+ years ago?

That's school specific—school's policies vary. I'd call you lawyer family friend ASAP to get all the information you need and quickly send schools your updated C&F answers. It won't be held against you if you say you forgot about it and amend it ASAP.
Last edited by FN-2187 on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

mcmand

Silver

Postby mcmand » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:12 pm

Provide the addendum as soon as possible, and while you're working on it, put out requests for any court records regarding the matter in the jurisdiction it occurred in. You'll have your answers about what happened if you can get a court clerk to send you a print out of the docket sheet for the matter.

This will also save you a lot of trouble when you get ready to take the bar exam, because dockets and charging instruments are some of the documents they like to have when evaluating your application for C&F issues.

Make sure you are candid in your addendum. The bar will ask your law school for your application to compare the disclosures you made to them and to your law school, and inconsistencies will be noted.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blair.waldorf

Bronze

Postby blair.waldorf » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:13 pm

Something similar happened to me (but my offense was more minor). Had an MIP and was so worried about it I forgot to disclose a couple speeding tickets. Emailed my school, let them know what happened, and it was no big deal. People forget things - it happens. Just be upfront and update them ASAP.

And for the bar, you'll wanna find out what happened with your MIP.

MercW07

Bronze

Postby MercW07 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:11 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
MercW07 wrote:I just submitted my applications the other day and I disclosed one C&F issue that happened recently (DUI), but I forgot to disclose an MIP that I received a little over 6 years ago. I was just so concerned about the recent issue that I had that I completely forgot about the old issue. Also, Im not even entirely sure what the end result of my MIP was. I hired a lawyer for it, but we never met in person, and never really discussed the case at all. He was a friend of a family friend and he pretty much just told me he'd take care of it. A couple months later he called me back after my court date (which I was told I didn't even have to attend) and told I just had 2 years probation, which I completed. Im guessing some type of deal was made?, but I have no idea. When it comes to writing an addendum Im not even entirely sure what I would say, but I could come up with something. My main concern at this point is that this will look like Im trying to hide the MIP because my recent C&F issue is alcohol related as well. Do I just send the schools an email trying my best to explain what happened and attach a C&F addendum to it?

You do need to update your applications. You should write a short addendum and convert it to PDF. Submit through LSAC if possible, but if not you can attach the PDF to an even shorter email explaining the omission. The individual schools won't necessarily realize that this was a global error on your part, and there's no need to make them aware of that. You can just say something like "I notice that my application to XLS inadvertently omitted an addendum related to C&F."

The answer is probably more complicated if you checked the wrong boxes on LSAC. It's been a while, so I don't remember if that's even a possibility. But I read your post as saying that you failed to mention something rather than saying that you affirmatively gave a wrong answer to something. If the latter, please clarify.

The 5-years-or-less thing is school-specific. You should very carefully read what each school asks for. Err on the side of disclosure.

Nope, the box I checked for DUI would be the same box to check for MIP so that shouldn’t be an issue.

MercW07

Bronze

Postby MercW07 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:17 pm

Really appreciate all of the responses from everyone. I’m going to type up a short addendum tomorrow and try and get in constact with the court from the county I got my MIP in. After I hear back from them I’ll send out an email to the schools I’ve applied too. It seems as though most schools are not even open right now so I doubt my applications have even been seen at this point (I sent my apps on dec 24th).

I guess the only thing I’m worried about at this point is how bad my applications are going to look with a MIP and a DUI on them even if they were 6 years apart. I applied to some schools I should be a lock for, but I’m just so nervous about everything right now.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:29 pm

MercW07 wrote:Really appreciate all of the responses from everyone. I’m going to type up a short addendum tomorrow and try and get in constact with the court from the county I got my MIP in. After I hear back from them I’ll send out an email to the schools I’ve applied too. It seems as though most schools are not even open right now so I doubt my applications have even been seen at this point (I sent my apps on dec 24th).

I guess the only thing I’m worried about at this point is how bad my applications are going to look with a MIP and a DUI on them even if they were 6 years apart. I applied to some schools I should be a lock for, but I’m just so nervous about everything right now.

You're looking at C&F from the wrong perspective, even if it's the most common one. Law schools are doing C&F to ensure your particular moral turpitude to a point, but it's more about establishing your record for eventual admission to a bar association through their C&F. If you update your record promptly, it'll be included in your law school application, and provided your application is accurate and won't preclude eventual bar passage, you'll be good. And a single DUI and MIP is really unlikely to bar C&F passage if your record is otherwise clean.

The goal of C&F parts of law school admissions is transparency (assuming you don't have offenses that would prevent passing the bar). Even if you miss something in the initial application, you can amend the application to include it without much issue.

FN-2187

Bronze

Postby FN-2187 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:29 pm

MercW07 wrote:I guess the only thing I’m worried about at this point is how bad my applications are going to look with a MIP and a DUI on them even if they were 6 years apart. I applied to some schools I should be a lock for, but I’m just so nervous about everything right now.

It's out of your control after you submit the addendum so try not to worry too much. It's hard no to think about it, of course, but it will be fine. If you search the site, people with MIPs and DUI (and worse) get into top law schools every year.
Last edited by FN-2187 on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

MercW07

Bronze

Postby MercW07 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:48 pm

FN-2187 wrote:
MercW07 wrote:I guess the only thing I’m worried about at this point is how bad my applications are going to look with a MIP and a DUI on them even if they were 6 years apart. I applied to some schools I should be a lock for, but I’m just so nervous about everything right now.

It's out of your control after you submit the addendum so try not to worry too much. It's hard no to think about it, of course, but it will be fine. If you search the site, people with MIPs and DUI (and worse) get into top law schools every year.

I know, and you’re totally right. I’ve read through most of the posts about DUIs on here so I know it doesn’t hurt my app as much as it may initially seem. But I think one aspect of mine that worries me is that it happened recently. In my mind at least a single DUI that happened 10 years ago doesn’t look nearly as bad as one that happened a couple months ago, but I really don’t know to be honest. Like you said though, it’s out of my control once I send my additional addendum so I’ll just have to wait and see.

FN-2187

Bronze

Removed post. Find me at www.top-law-schools.com[img]http://mylsn.info/replaced_post.png[/img]

Postby FN-2187 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:57 pm

Removed post. Find me at www.top-law-schools.comImage

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?