Is it possible to negotiate more money from Iowa?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lchi

New

Is it possible to negotiate more money from Iowa?

Postby Lchi » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:07 pm

I recently received a scholarship from Iowa that was $44,000 for the first year, then $24,000 the second and third years with a research assistant position that would give me in-state tuition, essentially making it a full-ride scholarship. After looking through LSN, it appears that this is the largest scholarship that they give, and they give it to a large percentage of applicants, many of whom have numbers below mine. My numbers are 165/3.77, which is quite a bit above their medians, and was wondering if it might be possible to negotiate a stipend on top of my current offer. I am confused because their 509 report shows that 36 percent of students received full tuition scholarships, and 15 percent receive more than full tuition (I tried to insert a picture and could not figure out how to do it), but no one on LSN reports receiving more than full tuition, not even the 170+/3.8+ crowd. I am receiving full tuition plus stipends to other large public T30 Midwestern schools, as well as large scholarships to T20 schools, and was wondering if it would be possible to get more money from Iowa. I would love to end up at Iowa and a couple thousand dollar stipend would definitely influence my decision. Thank you for any information that you can give me.

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: Is it possible to negotiate more money from Iowa?

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:21 pm

If the 509 says that students get more than full tuition, then you can get more than full tuition. You likely need a full ride from a school like WashU to force their hand on negotiations, but it sounds like it's possible.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�