Duke ED; Advice Needed

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
brick city

New

Duke ED; Advice Needed

Postby brick city » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:07 pm

Merry Christmas everyone! I need some advice about applying ED, Round 2 to Duke. Softs, PS, and LORs are all average at best, my GPA is .03 under their median and my LSAT is median. Perhaps my biggest qualm is that I've taken the LSAT four times between December '16 to December '17. First three tries were all in the low 160's, but scored a 169 on the December '17 test. I I have no real compelling reason for the increase besides that I dedicated more time to studying exclusively for the LSAT, whereas during my first three attempts I was studying concurrently with other post-grad admission tests.

What I'd like to get some advice on is if you think the four LSAT takes and average softs would have such a negative impact on my application that the only shot I'd have at Duke is to apply ED and your opinion on if it would be better to apply ED or apply RD to Duke, as well as the other mid to lower T-14 schools. Hoping for NY biglaw after graduation, but not dead set on it. I'd say Duke is one of my top 2 schools, but I'd also be pretty happy with the other mid-lower T-14 schools like Mich, UVA, Northwestern, etc. as well.

Thanks in advance for your help!

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Re: Duke ED; Advice Needed

Postby OakBrook2021 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:09 pm

Don't ED

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:15 pm

Absolutely do not ED.
Write a Why Duke supplemental essay and you'll be good.

mcmand

Silver

Postby mcmand » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:35 pm

Never ED.

Rigo wrote:Write a Why Duke supplemental essay and you'll be good.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mullens

Silver

Postby Mullens » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:04 am

Yeah don’t do this unless you’re super wealthy or have 529 money to burn

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:15 am

OakBrook2021 wrote:Don't ED

brick city

New

Postby brick city » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:49 am

Thanks for all of your responses! Quick question, would your opinions change if I were to consider applying ED, Round 2 to UPenn instead of Duke? The LSAT median is the same, but GPA median at Penn is much higher, so I'm wondering if the ED would be enough of a "boost" for me to be realistically considered for admission.

Thanks, again!

mcmand

Silver

Postby mcmand » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:54 am

brick city wrote:Thanks for all of your responses! Quick question, would your opinions change if I were to consider applying ED, Round 2 to UPenn instead of Duke? The LSAT median is the same, but GPA median at Penn is much higher, so I'm wondering if the ED would be enough of a "boost" for me to be realistically considered for admission.

Thanks, again!

You're not going to like this, but the answer is still

mcmand wrote:Never ED.

This applies to any school. Its pros are far outweighed by the cons of you giving up any leverage for scholarships.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:19 am

mcmand wrote:
brick city wrote:Thanks for all of your responses! Quick question, would your opinions change if I were to consider applying ED, Round 2 to UPenn instead of Duke? The LSAT median is the same, but GPA median at Penn is much higher, so I'm wondering if the ED would be enough of a "boost" for me to be realistically considered for admission.

Thanks, again!

You're not going to like this, but the answer is still

mcmand wrote:Never ED.

This applies to any school. Its pros are far outweighed by the cons of you giving up any leverage for scholarships.

With the exception for Northwestern with the 150k scholarship

AJordan

Bronze

Postby AJordan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:13 am

I would prefer my advice, good or bad, not be associated with this site. Thus, removed.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?