Dropping Out

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Conflicted 1L

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:35 pm

Dropping Out

Postby Conflicted 1L » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:48 pm

I just finished my first semester of 1L year with solid grades but have been conflicted ever since enrolling about a lifelong pursuit of mine; to serve my country as a Marine. I am under pressure because if I finish out school on my current track I will be outside the age limit for officer enrollment and will be locked out for good. The question facing me now is whether or not to drop out to pursue the corps and return to school in a later cycle.

I have some practical questions about reapplying to law school in the future:
-What (if any) impact will my 1L grades have on admissions? Units completed? Will I have to retake all my 1L classes? (Very ok doing this)
-Am I locked into my LSAT score from before since I already gained admission? The score I had will be outside the time window where it would be normally be usable, so would I have to retake? (Same goes for my LoRs)
-How do law schools look upon drop-out and reapply cases more generally? I admit this would probably be a more unique situation but any insight from other situations (medical withdrawals etc) would be appreciated.

Any knowledge or guidance on my particulars or dropping out in general would be appreciated.

LalSoHard

New
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:35 pm

Re: Dropping Out

Postby LalSoHard » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:36 pm

Have you looked at working with the marine JAG? If you're interested in being a marine the JAG offers a pretty solid way to use your degree to serve your country.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze
Posts: 388
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:16 am

Re: Dropping Out

Postby foregetaboutdre » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:38 pm

Conflicted 1L wrote:I just finished my first semester of 1L year with solid grades but have been conflicted ever since enrolling about a lifelong pursuit of mine; to serve my country as a Marine. I am under pressure because if I finish out school on my current track I will be outside the age limit for officer enrollment and will be locked out for good. The question facing me now is whether or not to drop out to pursue the corps and return to school in a later cycle.

I have some practical questions about reapplying to law school in the future:
-What (if any) impact will my 1L grades have on admissions? Units completed? Will I have to retake all my 1L classes? (Very ok doing this)
-Am I locked into my LSAT score from before since I already gained admission? The score I had will be outside the time window where it would be normally be usable, so would I have to retake? (Same goes for my LoRs)
-How do law schools look upon drop-out and reapply cases more generally? I admit this would probably be a more unique situation but any insight from other situations (medical withdrawals etc) would be appreciated.

Any knowledge or guidance on my particulars or dropping out in general would be appreciated.


Talk to a Marine JAG recruiter ASAP. It sometimes isn't as desired because you have to do basically everything a Marine Officer has to do (including OCS (not a watered down version) and the Basic School. It honestly sounds like a great option for you.

Conflicted 1L

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:35 pm

Re: Dropping Out

Postby Conflicted 1L » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:32 am

Probably should've put this in the op, but JAG is not something I am particularly interested in pursuing, as I want to be an infantry officer. In addition, my age precludes me from serving on active duty for the Marines, so I will be a reserve.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Dropping Out

Postby Rigo » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:37 am

You won’t be locked into your current LSAT score, and can retake.

mcmand

Silver
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Re: Dropping Out

Postby mcmand » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:25 am

Wait I'm confused. You can only be reserve? So why drop out? Couldn't you balance being a reservist with law school? I had classmates who were in the reserves.

Actually, you should PM me. You should talk to my partner. He will have a lot of advice for you, since he did almost the exact same thing you did (but after 2L year, to become an army officer).
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RCSOB657

Gold
Posts: 3330
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:50 am

Re: Dropping Out

Postby RCSOB657 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:01 pm

If you will be above the age of 35 when you commission, which can be anywhere from 6 months to a year out of law school, and you want to be a Marine officer, then go do that.

Conflicted 1L

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:35 pm

Re: Dropping Out

Postby Conflicted 1L » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:44 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:If you will be above the age of 35 when you commission, which can be anywhere from 6 months to a year out of law school, and you want to be a Marine officer, then go do that.

I'm old enough that I cannot be active duty for the Corps, and frankly I believe I could serve better as a reservist than a career soldier. I still want to pursue law, but I've had an unshakeable feeling this semester that I had unfinished business before enrolling.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Dropping Out

Postby Rigo » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:45 pm

How much is east semester/year costing you and what caliber school are you at?

User avatar
sublime

Diamond
Posts: 17386
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Dropping Out

Postby sublime » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:06 pm

You want to drop out of school to be in the marine reserves?

You couldn’t have figured this out 5 months ago?

Conflicted 1L

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:35 pm

Re: Dropping Out

Postby Conflicted 1L » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:23 pm

Rigo wrote:How much is east semester/year costing you and what caliber school are you at?

Full scholarship to a TTT regional, enjoyed the first semester but wouldn't close the door on applying elsewhere.

Conflicted 1L

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:35 pm

Re: Dropping Out

Postby Conflicted 1L » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:26 pm

sublime wrote:You want to drop out of school to be in the marine reserves?

You couldn’t have figured this out 5 months ago?

Yea.

I had been contemplating active duty for awhile but ultimately decided against it when I got some good school acceptances and a number of scholarship offers. Think I made a mistake in enrolling and want to hit a reset button of sorts if I can.



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 13 guests