Take a year off?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawschoolhopeful143

New

Take a year off?

Postby lawschoolhopeful143 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:20 pm

Hi. I took my LSAT in December and September and they're both 149. I'm an African American female (don't know if that really makes a difference with such a low score). I work two jobs and I'm a full time student with a GPA of 3.8. I know I didn't study enough for the lsat and I'll be graduating in May 2017. My question is whether or not I should apply to law schools or should I wait a year and study and retake the lsat again? I know my scores are really low but would I be able to get into any tier 2 schools or any schools at all? Thanks for any advice!

Yugihoe

Silver

Re: Take a year off?

Postby Yugihoe » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:25 pm

It would be a shame to waste that 3.8 gpa on this lsat, which you probably already know. Don't apply until you get it up to the 160s, and you'd probably see lots of $$$ at top schools. Better off even working 2-3 years for that kind of outcome, than jumping the gun.

landshoes

Silver

Postby landshoes » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:29 pm

You can get into some law schools. But you really don't want to go to the schools you could get into with that score. You should definitely retake and if you don't do better, you probably shouldn't apply at all.

I'm not saying that because I don't think you'd be a good lawyer --- I'm sure you'd be a fantastic lawyer. But you have the work ethic and intelligence to work two jobs and get a 3.8. You don't need a JD to do okay for yourself. The kind of JD that you could get from the kind of school that would let you in with a 149 would be expensive and wouldn't really help you get a job.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:35 am

Yes take a year off, take a good LSAT course and/or solidly self study with the time you'll have freed up by not being a student.
You're doing yourself a real disservice by not retaking.
Good luck.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:37 am

landshoes wrote:You can get into some law schools. But you really don't want to go to the schools you could get into with that score. You should definitely retake and if you don't do better, you probably shouldn't apply at all.

I'm not saying that because I don't think you'd be a good lawyer --- I'm sure you'd be a fantastic lawyer. But you have the work ethic and intelligence to work two jobs and get a 3.8. You don't need a JD to do okay for yourself. The kind of JD that you could get from the kind of school that would let you in with a 149 would be expensive and wouldn't really help you get a job.

Solid advice, OP. Listen to this man!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Postby KENYADIGG1T » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:14 am

Definitely take a year or two off. I took the LSAT twice in undergrad and I was not happy with either score. I waited until I was a few years out of undergrad to take the law school plunge and it's the best decision I ever made.

lawschoolhopeful143

New

Postby lawschoolhopeful143 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:03 pm

Thank you all for your advice, I really appreciate it! I'll be taking a year off and studying to improve my score. The law school I'm interested in is CUNY School of Law school....anyone heard of it?

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Postby KENYADIGG1T » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:09 pm

lawschoolhopeful143 wrote:Thank you all for your advice, I really appreciate it! I'll be taking a year off and studying to improve my score. The law school I'm interested in is CUNY School of Law school....anyone heard of it?

I went to a CUNY undergrad and I know a lot of friends who are now at CUNY law. Are you looking into PI? Regardless, follow the advice above and take the time you need to increase your score.

lawschoolhopeful143

New

Postby lawschoolhopeful143 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:36 am

KENYADIGG1T wrote:
lawschoolhopeful143 wrote:Thank you all for your advice, I really appreciate it! I'll be taking a year off and studying to improve my score. The law school I'm interested in is CUNY School of Law school....anyone heard of it?

I went to a CUNY undergrad and I know a lot of friends who are now at CUNY law. Are you looking into PI? Regardless, follow the advice above and take the time you need to increase your score.

Yeah and I'll be visiting the school in a few weeks!

landshoes

Silver

Postby landshoes » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:02 pm

CUNY isn’t a terrible option but you could do much better. I know a lot of people coming out of there with no jobs.

What kind of law do you want to practice? What salary are you looking for?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?