Retake a 173?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
super12345chess

New

Retake a 173?

Postby super12345chess » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:05 pm

I received a 173 on the most recent LSAT, and I’m wondering if it’d be worth retaking.

Here is some relevant information-

This was my second LSAT (the first one was in mid 160’s). My gpa is above last year’s medians at all schools. Mediocre softs, one year’s work experience.
Non-urm

173 was on the low end of my practice tests. I probably would do better, but I might not.

Based on last year’s numbers, I’d be confident at all schools with a 173. However, applications are up and schools like Harvard will try to raise their medians, which would be bad for my admissions chances.

My dream scenario is HYS, or full scholarship at another t-13 (I’m sure I’m unique in that). I’m concerned a 173 could leave me out at HYS but without full scholarship elsewhere in the T-13.

I’m looking to do public interest work, so I’d either be relying on LRAP or scholarship money.

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Re: Retake a 173?

Postby Anon-e-miss » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:39 pm

Are you applying this cycle?

Assuming you have above a 3.91, you will have good options regardless of your decision. Individuals with similar GPAs and worse LSATs than you have already been awarded Dillards this cycle, so I wouldn't psych yourself out about not having great options due to the MS9 blog post.

Nevertheless, if you think you have a good shot at improving your LSAT, it could be worth a retake. However, you're already at or above every school's 75th except Harvard and Yale, and your numbers are competitive at YHS. YS are black boxes, and you're most likely going to be accepted at Harvard, so I'm not sure how much more a 174 or 176 will help your application. It could give you a better shot at a Ruby/Hamilton/Vandy scholarship at CCN, but that's about it in terms of non-YHS schools.

tl;dr: It depends on how much you value an added chance at a CCN full, since you've already put yourself in a position for acceptances at Harvard on down (with a great shot at a non-CCN full-ride)
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

super12345chess

New

Postby super12345chess » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:40 pm

I'm applying this year, and have above a 3.91

That's helpful. I think I would like to be more in play for a full ride at CCN, which even a modest improvement would probably do.

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Postby Anon-e-miss » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:56 pm

super12345chess wrote:I'm applying this year, and have above a 3.91

That's helpful. I think I would like to be more in play for a full ride at CCN, which even a modest improvement would probably do.

If you're already mid-cycle, then your best option might be to see how this cycle plays out, then decide what you want to do. There's no guarantee that a 175 will yield a CCN full ride, so I would just sit tight and see how things shake out this cycle. If you want better options, then you can always reapply
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:28 am

If you don't get Harvard it's a problem with you, not your numbers.

edcat

New

Postby edcat » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:47 am

super12345chess wrote:I received a 173 on the most recent LSAT, and I’m wondering if it’d be worth retaking.

Here is some relevant information-

This was my second LSAT (the first one was in mid 160’s). My gpa is above last year’s medians at all schools. Mediocre softs, one year’s work experience.
Non-urm

173 was on the low end of my practice tests. I probably would do better, but I might not.

Based on last year’s numbers, I’d be confident at all schools with a 173. However, applications are up and schools like Harvard will try to raise their medians, which would be bad for my admissions chances.

My dream scenario is HYS, or full scholarship at another t-13 (I’m sure I’m unique in that). I’m concerned a 173 could leave me out at HYS but without full scholarship elsewhere in the T-13.

I’m looking to do public interest work, so I’d either be relying on LRAP or scholarship money.

I have similar goals to you, but a worse GPA and retook a 172 for a 180 in September. I'm not sure how it will play out yet, but I didn't have to wait a cycle so there wasn't a downside.

Why not retake in February? Let your apps go forward no matter what because you might get a really good outcome. If you get a great February score then you might get a boost for scholarships this cycle. If you don't think the outcome is fair to whatever numbers you have after February, then you can always wait and apply at the start of next cycle with the nice February score.

There is virtually no downside to the February retake. You are already averaging above the 173 so you could not study much more and do better. Alternatively, you could study again and hopefully do even better. If you do worse there is not much harm done and you are unlikely to do much worse. No one is going to pull your acceptance because you have a mid 160's LSAT a 173 and a 170 instead of just the mid 160's score and the 173. Even though noone averages anymore and only Yale really looks at your non-highest scores, a slightly below 173 score would probably bring your average score up helping you a smidge.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?