Can I ask a professor to see my LOR? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
futureJDstudent

New

Can I ask a professor to see my LOR?

Post by futureJDstudent » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:16 pm

It seems like a student has no right knowing what kind of recommendation he/she is getting because the recommenders are expected to send their LORs directly to LSAC.
Is it okay to ask the professor to see the letter prior to its submission? What is the best way to ask about it?

lobsicle

New

Re: Can I ask a professor to see my LOR?

Post by lobsicle » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:23 pm

You have to decide wether to waive your right to see a letter when you assign recommenders on LSAC. You should probably waive this right, it’s usually weird if you don’t. If you do indeed waive it, it would be weird to ask your letter writer to see it.

Do you have a special circumstance or something?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:30 pm

If you're not sure what kind of letter a professor will write for you, don't use that professor.

futureJDstudent

New

Post by futureJDstudent » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:36 pm

Even if I don't waive my right to see it, I still will not be able to see them (according to LSAC).

Have the rules recently changed? A few years back people were posting their LORs and asking for the advice whether to use them..

lobsicle

New

Post by lobsicle » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:39 pm

futureJDstudent wrote:Even if I don't waive my right to see it, I still will not be able to see them (according to LSAC).

Have the rules recently changed? A few years back people were posting their LORs and asking for the advice whether to use them..
If you don't waive them, that doesn't mean you can download them from LSAC or something. It just means you can't contact the schools you apply to and ask for copies of them.

Some letter writers let applicants look over letters. Most don't.

Why do you want to look at it?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

futureJDstudent

New

Post by futureJDstudent » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:13 pm

lobsicle wrote:
So that I'd know if it's a general praise or lukewarm type of letter or the one that really highlights something important about me and makes me more desirable applicant.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:40 pm

futureJDstudent wrote:
lobsicle wrote:
So that I'd know if it's a general praise or lukewarm type of letter or the one that really highlights something important about me and makes me more desirable applicant.
I think the point is more that you should already know this without reading it. Most professors really prefer it if you waive your right to read the letter, and you shouldn't be requesting a letter unless you know the professor well enough to know that you won't have these issues.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:12 pm

You shouldn't ask. If a prof wants you to have access to it they'll offer (or probably just give it to you).

And yes, you should have an idea of what a prof will say before you ask. But generally speaking, no, students have no right to see their recommendations.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:16 pm

futureJDstudent wrote:A few years back people were posting their LORs and asking for the advice whether to use them..
Also, no, this is pretty unusual. A few people have done this, very occasionally. And in those cases the recommender voluntarily gave the LOR to the applicant.

Bronze

Post by 239840 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:47 am

You need to think back to the classes you took with the professors you're considering and think about who seemed to be friendlier to you, who complimented you, and so on. Of course, think about the grades you got in their classes as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”