3.2 170 LSAT AA male priority WL at DUKE. Advice Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HUalumni93

New

3.2 170 LSAT AA male priority WL at DUKE. Advice

Post by HUalumni93 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:46 am

Duke sent a priority track application. I applied early November. Is this a reflection of the strong applicant pool? Or should I send a LOCI

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: 3.2 170 LSAT AA male priority WL at DUKE. Advice

Post by sparkytrainer » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:56 am

Did you write a compelling why duke? Do you have a c&f problem? Do you have something wrong in your app, like some spelling mistakes?

Just fyi, you have a great LSAT and you are a URM, but don't feel entitled to the t13. People have been totally rejected with better numbers.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:41 am

I'm leaning YP tbh.
170 AA male puts you in a crazy echelon.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:00 pm

Rigo wrote:I'm leaning YP tbh.
Duke doesn't have a tendency to purely YP. They really look closely at someone like OP, who should be close to an auto-admit, and look strongly at how specifically interested OP is through why duke, etc. Duke will admit people whose numbers dont make it clear they should be because of a strong why duke essay and either WL or straight up deny strong applicants because they don't write a why duke.

Remember, Duke is the 3rd smallest t13 clocking in just over 200 students per class. So they can afford to care a little more about specifics.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:15 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
Rigo wrote:I'm leaning YP tbh.
Duke doesn't have a tendency to purely YP. They really look closely at someone like OP, who should be close to an auto-admit, and look strongly at how specifically interested OP is through why duke, etc. Duke will admit people whose numbers dont make it clear they should be because of a strong why duke essay and either WL or straight up deny strong applicants because they don't write a why duke.

Remember, Duke is the 3rd smallest t13 clocking in just over 200 students per class. So they can afford to care a little more about specifics.
What you just described is...wait for it...

Yield protect.

Schools admit those they think will likely attend, while shying away from those who seem uncommitted applicants who seem likely to go elsewhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HUalumni93

New

Post by HUalumni93 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:34 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:Did you write a compelling why duke? Do you have a c&f problem? Do you have something wrong in your app, like some spelling mistakes?

Just fyi, you have a great LSAT and you are a URM, but don't feel entitled to the t13. People have been totally rejected with better numbers.

I have other acceptances in the t13. I'd rather not go into specifics this early.

That's the main reason why I was confused at the outcome

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:38 pm

HUalumni93 wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:Did you write a compelling why duke? Do you have a c&f problem? Do you have something wrong in your app, like some spelling mistakes?

I have other acceptances in the t13. I'd rather not go into specifics this early.

That's the main reason why I was confused at the outcome
And what I am telling you is that you probably didn't sell your interest in Duke hard enough. But congrats on the other acceptances, I'm sure you will have great options.

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:59 pm

As an URM applicant two cycles ago, my advice is to not expect to get into every school. You have good stats but are still a splitter (some schools have GPA floors that they usually don't go under even for URM's with great LSATS). I got waitlisted at every school from 10th to 4th on US news and was rejected from Michigan, but then got directly into Harvard and Stanford. Law school admissions can be a lot more unpredictable than we sometimes paint on tls, especially for URM applicants.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:39 pm

cdotson2 wrote:As an URM applicant two cycles ago, my advice is to not expect to get into every school. You have good stats but are still a splitter (some schools have GPA floors that they usually don't go under even for URM's with great LSATS). I got waitlisted at every school from 10th to 4th on US news and was rejected from Michigan, but then got directly into Harvard and Stanford. Law school admissions can be a lot more unpredictable than we sometimes paint on tls, especially for URM applicants.

Why do you think you were rejected from Mich? Your numbers were obviously amazing...
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HUalumni93

New

Post by HUalumni93 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:09 pm

cdotson2 wrote:As an URM applicant two cycles ago, my advice is to not expect to get into every school. You have good stats but are still a splitter (some schools have GPA floors that they usually don't go under even for URM's with great LSATS). I got waitlisted at every school from 10th to 4th on US news and was rejected from Michigan, but then got directly into Harvard and Stanford. Law school admissions can be a lot more unpredictable than we sometimes paint on tls, especially for URM applicants.
Would you mind sharing your stats in a PM?

LSlyfe

Bronze

Post by LSlyfe » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:58 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:

Why do you think you were rejected from Mich? Your numbers were obviously amazing...
Only they know, but it’s possible Prop 2 had something to do with the Michigan rejection since that can be a game changer for URMs depending on how they convey their diversity and experience.

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:38 pm

HUalumni93 wrote:
Would you mind sharing your stats in a PM?
my stats are in my profile if you click on my name. I had a 3.76 and a 170, which makes the Michigan rejection even stranger because I had decent numbers for an admission regardless of an URM boost. however, I am PR/Cuban/white not AA so your boost will be stronger.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:02 am

TLS wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

Only they know, but it’s possible Prop 2 had something to do with the Michigan rejection since that can be a game changer for URMs depending on how they convey their diversity and experience.
yeah, that makes sense. Well, either way, it turned out working out for ya
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eman1994

New

Post by Eman1994 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:53 pm

HUalumni93 wrote:Duke sent a priority track application. I applied early November. Is this a reflection of the strong applicant pool? Or should I send a LOCI
I am an AA Male with a 3.1 167 and I got WL too via Priority Track and was honestly pretty surprised as well. Hopefully this isn't an indication of how the rest of my T14 applications will go. I wasn't super high on Duke anyway so it wasn't a huge deal to me but I would really love to go to Columbia NYU Harvard Georgetown or Penn.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”