A complicated question for the next circle Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Olesya_

New

A complicated question for the next circle

Post by Olesya_ » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:10 pm

Hello guys, I have a complicated situation and I would be very appreciated if anyone can help me:

I'm currently a senior at college (fourth year), and I will be applying for law school next October (apply in fall 2018; matriculate in fall 2019). I have two general requirement courses yet to accomplish and I decide to leave them to 2019.
So my plan is:
finish everything except for the two GERs by spring 2018
leave college and work until December 2018/April 2019
enroll in spring 2019/summer 2019 to finish the two courses, and receive my degree
matriculate in law school in August (September?) 2019

therefore, when the law school receives my transcript, I will have four-year grades and not graduated.

My question is, will it make my transcript "wired" (not graduating in four years) or will it have a negative impact on my admission?

(why I postpone this two courses instead of graduating in four years: 1) I initially decided to finish them in summer 2018 since they run conflict with my major courses in spring 2018, but I got a summer work placement so I choose to work. 2) I'm a hummanity person and the two courses are math and physics, I think they will certainly drag my GPA down)

My number: GPA 3.92; predicted December 2017 LSAT 160-162 (first attempt); planning to take another two LSATs next year.

THANK YOU!

Rigo

Diamond

Re: A complicated question for the next circle

Post by Rigo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:09 pm

Why are you leaving the classes until 2019?

Olesya_

New

Post by Olesya_ » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:39 pm

Rigo wrote:Why are you leaving the classes until 2019?
Hi.
Because I can't fit the general requirement classes into my schedule in spring 2018, I've had a full workload.
The other consideration is that I'm terrible at math/science related thing. I will probably end up earning Bs or Cs and they will jeopardize my GPA. (current 3.92; major GPA 4.0. I'm good at history and literature though. but we have to take math/science classes despite majors in order to graduate)

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:45 pm

Olesya_ wrote:
Rigo wrote:Why are you leaving the classes until 2019?
Hi.
Because I can't fit the general requirement classes into my schedule in spring 2018, I've had a full workload.
The other consideration is that I'm terrible at math/science related thing. I will probably end up earning Bs or Cs and they will jeopardize my GPA. (current 3.92; major GPA 4.0. I'm good at history and literature though. but we have to take math/science classes despite majors in order to graduate)
I'm still really confused by your explanation. Why can't you drop some non-required classes to make room for the required ones?

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:52 pm

I'm a little confused as to what you're trying to figure out. Are you asking if leaving the math and physics classes for last will make your application weird or hurt you? then the answer is no. If not, correct me since I'm still kind of confused.

If you're that worried about those classes, do you have the option to pass/fail (or pass/no credit) these classes? if so maybe look into that, schools will not care if you do that tbh, and your GPA is really good as it is so some P/F classes won't do anything if you're able to do so.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Olesya_

New

Post by Olesya_ » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:01 pm

Mikey wrote:I'm a little confused as to what you're trying to figure out. Are you asking if leaving the math and physics classes for last will make your application weird or hurt you? then the answer is no. If not, correct me since I'm still kind of confused.

If you're that worried about those classes, do you have the option to pass/fail (or pass/no credit) these classes? if so maybe look into that, schools will not care if you do that tbh, and your GPA is really good as it is so some P/F classes won't do anything if you're able to do so.
thank you for your reply!
the problem is: if I do as I planned, I will finish my undergraduate study in 5 years instead of 4 years, with one gap year in between to work. By the time when the law schools receive my transcript, I won't have earned my bachelor's degree. I'm not sure if that's okay.

P.S.sadly my college doesn't allow Pass/Fail for this type of class :(

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:47 pm

Both of those things are okay. People regularly apply before they've graduated, and schools don't care how long it takes you to earn the degree (if it's really outside the norm you should provide an explanation, but an extra year is no issue).

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:10 pm

I'm still not clear on the timing. You're definitely earning your bachelor's degree before you would potentially matriculate, right?

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:11 pm

Olesya_ wrote:
Mikey wrote:I'm a little confused as to what you're trying to figure out. Are you asking if leaving the math and physics classes for last will make your application weird or hurt you? then the answer is no. If not, correct me since I'm still kind of confused.

thank you for your reply!
the problem is: if I do as I planned, I will finish my undergraduate study in 5 years instead of 4 years, with one gap year in between to work. By the time when the law schools receive my transcript, I won't have earned my bachelor's degree. I'm not sure if that's okay.

P.S.sadly my college doesn't allow Pass/Fail for this type of class :(
As A. nony mentioned, it's not a big deal at all and if anything you can just give an explanation on the applications (there's a section that asks about academic disruptions) and you'll be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:16 pm

Seems like a lot of work to keep schools from seeing 2 mediocre grades when you first apply.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:29 pm

And honestly 6 credits isn’t going to tank your stellar GPA.
I got mostly B’s and A-‘s my last semester (after nearly straight A’s prior 6-7 semesters) and it only knocked my cumulative down about .03 or so, which doesn’t mean that much in the scheme of things.
You not receiving your degree on time seems like a bigger headache than a 3.87 or whatever.

captainplanet

Bronze

Post by captainplanet » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:09 am

Are the math and science classes lower division general education courses? If so, see if you can take them at a community college and apply/transfer them to your degree. The classes may be easier at the community college and will preserve your GPA.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:05 am

Am I the only one concerned that OP is actively trying to deceive law schools by unnecessarily postponing graduation to take classes he or she thinks will be bad at?

No it's not an obvious lie like a faked transcript or altering your grades in your school's records. But it just rubs me the wrong way that you're doing this. Take the classes on time and prepare in advance to make your math/science learning curve shorter.

Besides, having your BA awarded will make finding a job in the interim easier and raise fewer questions with those employers.

Edit: I like the idea of doing it at CC (if that's allowed by the university). But going through an elaborate con game and waiting a year to take them to preserve your GPA is too far.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:54 am

mcmand wrote: Am I the only one concerned that OP is actively trying to deceive law schools by unnecessarily postponing graduation to take classes he or she thinks will be bad at?
Yes, you are the only one concerned about this. How is it any different from someone applying during senior year of college while they still have two semesters of grades left to receive?
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:07 am

mcmand wrote:Am I the only one concerned that OP is actively trying to deceive law schools by unnecessarily postponing graduation to take classes he or she thinks will be bad at?

No it's not an obvious lie like a faked transcript or altering your grades in your school's records. But it just rubs me the wrong way that you're doing this. Take the classes on time and prepare in advance to make your math/science learning curve shorter.

Besides, having your BA awarded will make finding a job in the interim easier and raise fewer questions with those employers.

Edit: I like the idea of doing it at CC (if that's allowed by the university). But going through an elaborate con game and waiting a year to take them to preserve your GPA is too far.
It’s unnecessary and ultimately not a good use of time (if that’s the driving reason) but lol it’s not unethical or anything like that. Nothing wrong with figuring out the rules of the game and then pushing them to your advantage. That is, after all, a lawyer’s calling.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:19 pm

BlendedUnicorn wrote:It’s unnecessary and ultimately not a good use of time (if that’s the driving reason) but lol it’s not unethical or anything like that. Nothing wrong with figuring out the rules of the game and then pushing them to your advantage. That is, after all, a lawyer’s calling.
I think it's weird. And if I had reviewed an application like that when I was on my law school's admissions committee, I would have considered an unexplained gap on the transcript where there's no BA but no enrolled classes at the time of review to be a red flag worth inquiring about.

OP has a strong GPA regardless of what happens in those classes, and will probably get a decent LSAT. She should not be making her application more interesting to give adcoms pause from stamping "admit" on it and moving along.

To your point of pushing rules to your advantage, trying to create a false impression of your GPA through an elaborate ruse of delaying applying while delaying taking the classes sounds less like a brilliant legal mind in the making and more like an attorney refusing to turn over non-privileged documents and using every delay tactic available. It may not be unethical per se, but it sure rubs me the wrong way.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:42 pm

Do whatever will lead to the highest GPA, as long as that course of action will give you a Bachelors prior to law school matriculation.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”