Feeling ghosted by most top law schools Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NeneLeakesss_409

Bronze

Feeling ghosted by most top law schools

Post by NeneLeakesss_409 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:08 pm

Hi everyone!

I submitted all of my applications in early September and I still haven't really heard back from any of my top choices. I just found out I was dinged at Georgetown (wasn't a top choice, but still a bummer!) and I have stress that the rest of my cycle may go poorly. I have a 164/3.7 and a strong PS, resume and letters of rec. I planned on retaking the LSAT in September, but Hurricane Harvey really messed up my ability to study (I live in Houston).
I haven't heard back from Vandy or Texas Law yet and they are both my top choices (I applied ED to Texas and went there for undergrad). I thought my interview with Vandy went well but I haven't heard anything and I went complete 9/18! Anyone have any positive experiences despite a long wait? Please let me know!!

cdotson2

Silver

Re: Feeling ghosted by most top law schools

Post by cdotson2 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:21 pm

Most schools are going to just start to give out acceptances on a large scale in the coming weeks. Schools that I had as safeties didn't get back to me until late December, and some of my target schools got back to me in march. just be patient.

also, boarder line candidates usually have to wait longer to hear from schools, and your stats for UT and Vandy are borderline. In this situation a longer wait might be a better sign than a quick response -- because the quick response might be a ding.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:56 pm

Chill, it's early for someone with your numbers.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:20 pm

Lets be honest here, your numbers aren't great, even for t20 schools.

NeneLeakesss_409

Bronze

Post by NeneLeakesss_409 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:52 pm

cdotson2 wrote:Most schools are going to just start to give out acceptances on a large scale in the coming weeks. Schools that I had as safeties didn't get back to me until late December, and some of my target schools got back to me in march. just be patient.

also, boarder line candidates usually have to wait longer to hear from schools, and your stats for UT and Vandy are borderline. In this situation a longer wait might be a better sign than a quick response -- because the quick response might be a ding.
Thanks for this!! Definitely made me feel a lot better!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NeneLeakesss_409

Bronze

Post by NeneLeakesss_409 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:05 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:Lets be honest here, your numbers aren't great, even for t20 schools.
I know, but I worked really hard for my numbers and I think other aspects of my app are strong! Thank you for your feedback though!

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:20 pm

NeneLeakesss_409 wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:Lets be honest here, your numbers aren't great, even for t20 schools.
I know, but I worked really hard for my numbers and I think other aspects of my app are strong! Thank you for your feedback though!
Thats great, but you shouldn't be expecting any top 20 acceptances. You might get one or two, but if you want to go to a good school, you are gonna need to improve the LSAT. And who cares about the other aspects? They will make no difference in your case. What matters is your numbers. Your LSAT is low, so if you want these schools, improve that number. That will make the difference in your apps.

leoCane

New

Post by leoCane » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:38 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
NeneLeakesss_409 wrote:
Thats great, but you shouldn't be expecting any top 20 acceptances. You might get one or two, but if you want to go to a good school, you are gonna need to improve the LSAT. And who cares about the other aspects? They will make no difference in your case. What matters is your numbers. Your LSAT is low, so if you want these schools, improve that number. That will make the difference in your apps.
Gonna have to disagree with you sparky. Despite OP having slightly better stats than me, I have already gotten admitted into a t14 this cycle thanks in large part to the other aspects of my app. Don't worry and don't lose hope OP! Give it time; you'll start seeing movement most likely end of December/January.

NeneLeakesss_409

Bronze

Post by NeneLeakesss_409 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:41 pm

leoCane wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
NeneLeakesss_409 wrote:
Gonna have to disagree with you sparky. Despite OP having slightly better stats than me, I have already gotten admitted into a t14 this cycle thanks in large part to the other aspects of my app. Don't worry and don't lose hope OP! Give it time; you'll start seeing movement most likely end of December/January.
Thanks so much leoCane!! :) congrats on your acceptances! Your response makes me feel a lot better!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:03 pm

leoCane wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
NeneLeakesss_409 wrote:
Do you happen to be a URM?

NeneLeakesss_409

Bronze

Post by NeneLeakesss_409 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:13 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
leoCane wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
NeneLeakesss_409 wrote:
Last edited by NeneLeakesss_409 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

leoCane

New

Post by leoCane » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:13 pm

Platopus wrote:
leoCane wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
NeneLeakesss_409 wrote:
Congratulations, but your anecdote doesn't say anything about OP's chance. Everyone thinks they have a good PS and strong letters of rec; these things are not going to change the calculus unless OP has something truly extraordinary that we don't know about. Right now, OP has fairly weak chances at T15-20 schools. Sparky's advice is accurate. OP needs to retake if he/she wants to have a reasonable shot at the T20

[
Thanks Platopus! Just want to make clear that my anecdote had nothing to do with OP's chances. Rather, I wanted to say that one should never lose hope. Again, have to disagree that his assessment was accurate since other parts of the app are very important and do contribute to acceptance, like in my case. Have had more than one interview with deans of t14 and can guarantee they do not think "who cares about other aspects of app". I do agree with you that OP's chances are low, just as mine were, but people with her score have been able to get in to Vandy and Texas; nothing bad being optimistic!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:38 pm

NeneLeakesss_409 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
leoCane wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
NeneLeakesss_409 wrote:
Yes and no--my parents are political asylum refugees from the middle East, but middle easterners are supposed to check white which is weird. I typically decline to respond my race and discuss my experiences with xenophobia and racism as a Muslim/Arab post 9/11 in my Diversity Statement
I was asking Leo, because their results sound like extreme outliers. But your history might give you a bit of a boost.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:19 pm

No but seriously though all that really matters is grades/LSAT

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:44 pm

I applied in October of last year. I heard back from most schools in January and February, but over a quarter of my applications weren't answered till April and May (this included acceptances).

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:58 pm

leoCane wrote:Thanks Platopus! Just want to make clear that my anecdote had nothing to do with OP's chances. Rather, I wanted to say that one should never lose hope. Again, have to disagree that his assessment was accurate since other parts of the app are very important and do contribute to acceptance, like in my case. Have had more than one interview with deans of t14 and can guarantee they do not think "who cares about other aspects of app". I do agree with you that OP's chances are low, just as mine were, but people with her score have been able to get in to Vandy and Texas; nothing bad being optimistic!
Are you a URM? If so, your admissions experience isn't relevant or helpful for OP. If not, feel free to let us know which aspects of your application you felt contributed to your acceptance. You can be general about it, such as prior work experience, etc.

As for OP, the LST chart will tell you more about your chances than any anecdote can. UT, Vanderbilt, Wash U, and Notre Dame are certainly within the realm of possibility for admission. That's the best anyone can tell you, honestly. I think you being a Texas resident would help for UT--not sure though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

leoCane

New

Post by leoCane » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:44 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
leoCane wrote:Thanks Platopus! Just want to make clear that my anecdote had nothing to do with OP's chances. Rather, I wanted to say that one should never lose hope. Again, have to disagree that his assessment was accurate since other parts of the app are very important and do contribute to acceptance, like in my case. Have had more than one interview with deans of t14 and can guarantee they do not think "who cares about other aspects of app". I do agree with you that OP's chances are low, just as mine were, but people with her score have been able to get in to Vandy and Texas; nothing bad being optimistic!
Are you a URM? If so, your admissions experience isn't relevant or helpful for OP. If not, feel free to let us know which aspects of your application you felt contributed to your acceptance. You can be general about it, such as prior work experience, etc.

As for OP, the LST chart will tell you more about your chances than any anecdote can. UT, Vanderbilt, Wash U, and Notre Dame are certainly within the realm of possibility for admission. That's the best anyone can tell you, honestly. I think you being a Texas resident would help for UT--not sure though.
Never said my admissions experience would be relevant for OP; everyone's experience is going to be different. All I was saying is that I disagreed with Sparky's comment that all other aspects of OP's app will make no difference to OP's case. The point in sharing my experience was to show that despite OP having slightly better score, I was able to get into a t14 because of many other aspects of my app, thus showing that LSAT/GPA is not always everything. With OP's stats, Vandy and Texas is a possibility if other aspects of app is above average in relation to others.

Don't want to divulge too much because of my irrational fear of adcoms reading this, so I will be general. I am a URM, but I also have highly unique PS, highly unique/above average LoRs, highly unique extracurricular activities, and highly unique work experience.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:59 pm

leoCane wrote:Never said my admissions experience would be relevant for OP; everyone's experience is going to be different. All I was saying is that I disagreed with Sparky's comment that all other aspects of OP's app will make no difference to OP's case. The point in sharing my experience was to show that despite OP having slightly better score, I was able to get into a t14 because of many other aspects of my app, thus showing that LSAT/GPA is not always everything. With OP's stats, Vandy and Texas is a possibility if other aspects of app is above average in relation to others.

Don't want to divulge too much because of my irrational fear of adcoms reading this, so I will be general. I am a URM, but I also have highly unique PS, highly unique/above average LoRs, highly unique extracurricular activities, and highly unique work experience.
Your anecdote is actively harmful, do you realize that? You left off a critical point in saying that the other stuff matters in admissions. I'm sure you're proud of your application materials, but the URM component looms incredibly large in whether it was the URM or the other components made any difference.

0Ls regularly read these boards looking for assurance that a certain outcome will happen, and that's completely understandable. But without mentioning you were a similar number profile and a URM invalidates whether that anecdote should be even remotely helpful in reassuring that 0L. Your admissions calculus is fundamentally different than a non-URM doing that calculus.

The other admissions materials matter. You will not be seen as two numbers and nothing else. But you'll be seen as two numbers, then read to understand whether those numbers invalidate you or make you qualified for the admissions calculus. You actually have no idea whether your other admissions materials had any material impact other than being mentioned by admissions people who are trained to make admits feel good about that other stuff. Admissions isn't going to tell you how great your GPA or LSAT are directly, but they may see your GPA and/or LSAT, see you check other important boxes (URM, diverse, more employable due to work experience, likable, higher likelihood of committing due to a sincere demonstrated interest in the particular school or ED, etc.). All of those things definitely matter, but what they do is color the first analysis, not contradict it.

Every year admissions has a number of admits in mind, and they control that number as well as the LSAT/GPA medians closely. As long as they're acting within those confines, they'll love when they check off additional boxes. That's why some people with stellar numbers aren't auto admits (because they seem likely to accept a position at a higher ranked school), and that's why it's not a two-dimensional analysis.

The OP doesn't benefit from your pride in getting accepted to a few T14s because they don't carry a huge X factor that could move them from WL to accept. Think of it this way: admissions can set number gates in CRS that they more actively want to consider. It won't be necessarily at their medians, but it'll be below those medians so they make sure they capture the candidates they think are competitive. So if admissions wants to control for a 168 LSAT and 3.8 GPA, they might set those gates at 165 and 3.4. That way they can try to get as many people who might meet their other criteria as possible. They might/likely will reach below those two numbers depending on the other criteria, but it's a valuable starting point in their considerations. So a 164/3.6 URM might be really desirable because they know that profile will be more valuable because of its relative rarity, while a 164/3.6 non-URM doesn't even bat an eye. That can be the nature of admissions, cold and difficult as it might be.

Congrats on your success in admissions so far, but it won't help the OP in assessing what's happening in their own cycle.

leoCane

New

Post by leoCane » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:20 am

UVA2B wrote:
leoCane wrote:Never said my admissions experience would be relevant for OP; everyone's experience is going to be different. All I was saying is that I disagreed with Sparky's comment that all other aspects of OP's app will make no difference to OP's case. The point in sharing my experience was to show that despite OP having slightly better score, I was able to get into a t14 because of many other aspects of my app, thus showing that LSAT/GPA is not always everything. With OP's stats, Vandy and Texas is a possibility if other aspects of app is above average in relation to others.

Your anecdote is actively harmful, do you realize that? You left off a critical point in saying that the other stuff matters in admissions. I'm sure you're proud of your application materials, but the URM component looms incredibly large in whether it was the URM or the other components made any difference.

0Ls regularly read these boards looking for assurance that a certain outcome will happen, and that's completely understandable. But without mentioning you were a similar number profile and a URM invalidates whether that anecdote should be even remotely helpful in reassuring that 0L. Your admissions calculus is fundamentally different than a non-URM doing that calculus.

The other admissions materials matter. You will not be seen as two numbers and nothing else. But you'll be seen as two numbers, then read to understand whether those numbers invalidate you or make you qualified for the admissions calculus. You actually have no idea whether your other admissions materials had any material impact other than being mentioned by admissions people who are trained to make admits feel good about that other stuff. Admissions isn't going to tell you how great your GPA or LSAT are directly, but they may see your GPA and/or LSAT, see you check other important boxes (URM, diverse, more employable due to work experience, likable, higher likelihood of committing due to a sincere demonstrated interest in the particular school or ED, etc.). All of those things definitely matter, but what they do is color the first analysis, not contradict it.

Every year admissions has a number of admits in mind, and they control that number as well as the LSAT/GPA medians closely. As long as they're acting within those confines, they'll love when they check off additional boxes. That's why some people with stellar numbers aren't auto admits (because they seem likely to accept a position at a higher ranked school), and that's why it's not a two-dimensional analysis.

The OP doesn't benefit from your pride in getting accepted to a few T14s because they don't carry a huge X factor that could move them from WL to accept. Think of it this way: admissions can set number gates in CRS that they more actively want to consider. It won't be necessarily at their medians, but it'll be below those medians so they make sure they capture the candidates they think are competitive. So if admissions wants to control for a 168 LSAT and 3.8 GPA, they might set those gates at 165 and 3.4. That way they can try to get as many people who might meet their other criteria as possible. They might/likely will reach below those two numbers depending on the other criteria, but it's a valuable starting point in their considerations. So a 164/3.6 URM might be really desirable because they know that profile will be more valuable because of its relative rarity, while a 164/3.6 non-URM doesn't even bat an eye. That can be the nature of admissions, cold and difficult as it might be.

Congrats on your success in admissions so far, but it won't help the OP in assessing what's happening in their own cycle.
Relax. I agree with most of what you said, but you are mischaracterizing what my point was in providing my own case, which was to illustrate that LSAT/GPA is not everything. I'm sure that most can agree with that. As for OP's case, I do not think it is unreasonable to assume that OP has a possibility with Vandy and UT (no matter how slight) given the stats and if other components of app are above average compared to others. Like I said, my case is to illustrate that to say the rest of your app does not matter is just not true. Never assessed OP's chances of getting in either, just wished OP luck and having optimism for their sake; don't see anything wrong with that.
Last edited by leoCane on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:30 am

leoCane wrote:
Relax. I agree with most of what you said, but you are mischaracterizing what my point was in providing my own case, which was to illustrate that LSAT/GPA is not everything. I'm sure that most can agree with that. As for OP's case, I do not think it is unreasonable to assume that OP has a possibility with Vandy and UT (no matter how slight) given the stats and if other components of app are above average compared to others. Like I said, my case is to illustrate that to say the rest of your app does not matter is just not true. Never assessed OP's chances of getting in either, just wished OP luck and having optimism for their sake; don't see anything wrong with that.
the problem with your argument is that you are an URM, everyone on TLS agrees being an URM affects your outcomes outside just the numbers. You experience cannot be extrapolated to the OP because they are not an URM. Therefore your experience adds little value for the OP or the statement that things in general other than numbers have that big of an affect on outcomes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:32 am

leoCane wrote:Relax. I agree with most of what you said, but you are mischaracterizing what my point was in providing my own case, which was to illustrate that LSAT/GPA is not everything. I'm sure that most can agree with that. As for OP's case, I do not think it is unreasonable to assume that OP has a possibility with Vandy and UT (no matter how slight) given the stats and if other components of app are above average compared to others. Like I said, my case is to illustrate that to say the rest of your app does not matter is just not true. Never assessed OP's chances of getting in either, just wished OP luck and having optimism for their sake; don't see anything wrong with that.
I try not to actively argue with 0Ls about why they're mistaken, so I'll hold off here. I appreciate you wanting to give the OP hope, and you want them to remain optimistic, even if it's terribly misguided. Your contextless point is a good one, which is that other things will be considered in determining their admissions chances. I provided that context that needs to be understood for any 0L reading it.

Best of luck with the rest of your admissions cycle.

leoCane

New

Post by leoCane » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:44 am

UVA2B wrote:
leoCane wrote:Relax. I agree with most of what you said, but you are mischaracterizing what my point was in providing my own case, which was to illustrate that LSAT/GPA is not everything. I'm sure that most can agree with that. As for OP's case, I do not think it is unreasonable to assume that OP has a possibility with Vandy and UT (no matter how slight) given the stats and if other components of app are above average compared to others. Like I said, my case is to illustrate that to say the rest of your app does not matter is just not true. Never assessed OP's chances of getting in either, just wished OP luck and having optimism for their sake; don't see anything wrong with that.
I try not to actively argue with 0Ls about why they're mistaken, so I'll hold off here. I appreciate you wanting to give the OP hope, and you want them to remain optimistic, even if it's terribly misguided. Your contextless point is a good one, which is that other things will be considered in determining their admissions chances. I provided that context that needs to be understood for any 0L reading it.

Best of luck with the rest of your admissions cycle.
Why is remaining optimistic in their case misguided? The chart provided by Platopus shows OP having 46% at UT and 22% at Vandy; it's not completely unreasonable to have a little hope. Also, my contextless point was a response to someone saying before that other aspects of the app don't matter. While obvious, I felt obligated to say otherwise.

Regardless, thanks for wishing me luck. Wish you luck with your endeavors as well.
Last edited by leoCane on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

leoCane

New

Post by leoCane » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:47 am

cdotson2 wrote:
leoCane wrote:
the problem with your argument is that you are an URM, everyone on TLS agrees being an URM affects your outcomes outside just the numbers. You experience cannot be extrapolated to the OP because they are not an URM. Therefore your experience adds little value for the OP or the statement that things in general other than numbers have that big of an affect on outcomes.
Like I've said before, not comparing my case to OP, but was responding to a previous post. I used my case to point the obvious; other aspects of app matter.

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:50 am

leoCane wrote:
cdotson2 wrote:
leoCane wrote:
Like I've said before, not comparing my case to OP, but was responding to a previous post. I used my case to point the obvious; other aspects of app matter.
As I said in my reply your case does not show the point you are trying to prove. URM is an accepted caveat to the general rule. your case does not tell us about other parts of the application.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”