John Marshall Law School Discussing Merger with UIC Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BL2017

New

John Marshall Law School Discussing Merger with UIC

Post by BL2017 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:40 pm

Less than a month after Valpo Law suspended admissions, JMLS in merger discussions.

Email to students:
"Dear members of the UIC Community,

We are writing to inform you that we have been in preliminary discussions with the leadership of The John Marshall Law School (JMLS) to explore the benefits of JMLS becoming a part of UIC – creating the first and only public law school in Chicago.

The discussions about this association have focused on the advantages such a relationship would offer both institutions and future students. The natural alignment of UIC’s public mission and JMLS’s commitment to provide access and opportunity and to fill Chicago’s justice gap, presents many opportunities. These include a wide range of interdisciplinary programs for students, as well as research opportunities for faculty at both institutions that bridge the discipline of law with the disciplinary strengths of UIC, including the health sciences, engineering and technology, urban planning, public administration, the social sciences and business.

We have also examined carefully the financial feasibility of such an initiative, as well as the immediate and future impact on the operation and strength of the new School. The initial reports we have received from an external consulting group and from our own internal analysis are positive and have led us to the decision to broaden these discussions to the full constituencies of UIC and JMLS, including faculty, staff, students, alumni, and donors, as well as members of the wider community. These discussions still remain exploratory at this point and any final arrangement would require approvals by the University of Illinois Board of Trustees and The John Marshall Law School Board of Trustees, as well as the Illinois Board of Higher Education, the American Bar Association and the Higher Learning Commission.

Please visit jmls.uic.edu for FAQs that we have created. This website will be updated as discussions proceed and as we seek your input through the next steps in this process. We are looking forward to your contributions over the coming months.

Michael Amiridis
Chancellor"

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: John Marshall Law School Discussing Merger with UIC

Post by sparkytrainer » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:54 pm

Lol

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:27 pm

this would be beyond the pale if it's binding

https://www.las.uic.edu/students/curren ... -admission

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:54 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:54 pm

Platopus wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:this would be beyond the pale if it's binding

I know a guy w/ a 36 on his ACT that did this for UIC med school and it totally screwed up his life
Why/how?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:08 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:10 pm

Platopus wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Platopus wrote:

I know a guy w/ a 36 on his ACT that did this for UIC med school and it totally screwed up his life
Why/how?
The "Why" I couldn't tell you. I only knew him in high school. But both my roommates are in med school and generally run in the same circles, and apparently he's not in med school and is currently working for like 12/hr. (mind you, I'm out of school close to 3 years now). Toward the end of college he decided to pump the brakes on the whole med school thing, which meant he suddenly had to figure out how to make ends meet w/ a BA in biology from a so-so school. Pretty sure he turned down some pretty decent undergrads (Chicago, NU, Rice, UCLA, etc.) for this promise of med school, and he didn't even end up using it. Totally squandered his talent.
Gotcha, I thought you meant attending UIC for med school through the program ruined his life, which sounded incredibly off to me. Falling off of the program prior to med school is a whole other can of worms not worth going into here.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:13 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snowball2

Bronze

Post by snowball2 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:21 am

Platopus wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Platopus wrote:

Why/how?
The "Why" I couldn't tell you. I only knew him in high school. But both my roommates are in med school and generally run in the same circles, and apparently he's not in med school and is currently working for like 12/hr. (mind you, I'm out of school close to 3 years now). Toward the end of college he decided to pump the brakes on the whole med school thing, which meant he suddenly had to figure out how to make ends meet w/ a BA in biology from a so-so school. Pretty sure he turned down some pretty decent undergrads (Chicago, NU, Rice, UCLA, etc.) for this promise of med school, and he didn't even end up using it. Totally squandered his talent.

edit: My point being, he fell for the trap, and when he realized medicine wasn't for him, he was stuck with a degree far below his potential..
There's no "trap" in this story. The person had a number of options other than med school. A BA in biology from anywhere isn't going to build a career these days. He was free to get a graduate degree from a "better" school or even explore law school (have a close friend who does plant genetics patent work with a bio undergrad). There's more to this apocryphal story than meets the eye.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

icechicken

Bronze

Post by icechicken » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:52 am

snowball2 wrote:There's no "trap" in this story. The person had a number of options other than med school. A BA in biology from anywhere isn't going to build a career these days. He was free to get a graduate degree from a "better" school or even explore law school (have a close friend who does plant genetics patent work with a bio undergrad). There's more to this apocryphal story than meets the eye.
Agree with this take. Some people just burn out, especially in an intense program like pre-med biology. At least he wasn't paying private-school tuition to do it.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:55 am

i wonder if he can still go to to med school or other grad programs or if it's use-it-or-lose-it.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:05 pm

icechicken wrote:
snowball2 wrote:There's no "trap" in this story. The person had a number of options other than med school. A BA in biology from anywhere isn't going to build a career these days. He was free to get a graduate degree from a "better" school or even explore law school (have a close friend who does plant genetics patent work with a bio undergrad). There's more to this apocryphal story than meets the eye.
Agree with this take. Some people just burn out, especially in an intense program like pre-med biology. At least he wasn't paying private-school tuition to do it.
Plenty of Pre-Meds flame out. They get bad grades and never recover. A BS in Bio from NW or UoC with bad grades isn't worth shit.

I'd rather take UIC guaranteed admission to med school than a general NW or UoC admission. Especially if you are instate.

Fuck, I'd trade my biglaw job for UIC guaranteed admission even if I had to do UG all over again.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:08 pm

Dr. DF, esq gunning for 7 figure debt.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”