Part-time terminations affect admission??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
m16532

New

Part-time terminations affect admission??

Postby m16532 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:37 am

So I've expressed my concern in the past about previous terminations due to frequent "young mistakes" such as tardiness. My past worries concerned the Character and Fitness process. Now I'm a little concerned about the impact my meaningless summer jobs will have on the JD admission process. My most serious offense was opening a box of some snack before paying for it. Would say Harvard or whoever, decide they like the rest of my application, however feel skeptical to an extent to accept me because of a flawed employment history years ago. (Box of crackers or whatever was around seven years ago)

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Part-time terminations affect admission??

Postby UVA2B » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:42 am

Harvard, et. al. won't care that you were late for a summer job occasionally. Even if you were terminated, you can explain it away pretty easily. Harvard isn't going to deny you because you were dismissed from a minimal high school or college job unless you did something egregious relating to that job.

Stop worrying.

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: Part-time terminations affect admission??

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:47 am

This actually sounds like the same issue as your last thread on the subject.

You're framing it as "opening a box" before paying for it. But when you were fired, what was the cause listed? And as mentioned before, a single incident with a summer job isn't an issue. But multiple for-cause firings, especially if they start to paint a specific picture, are going to be a problem. So instead of trying to minimize here, try being honest. How many times have you been fired for cause? Over how many years? And what were the reported causes?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?