Character and Fitness impact

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
superjoseth333

Character and Fitness impact

Postby superjoseth333 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:05 pm

This is a kind of last minute but that's how I operate best. I'm 30 and have a non-traditional career background, applying now for next fall.

I struggled with alcohol as an undergraduate and had several incidents that resulted in punishments from my college and the legal system. I was taken to the hospital twice (although one time it had no legal consequences and my school didn't know about it because I was home at the time). I was suspended for a semester (I also was accused of trying to harm someone but was "innocent" of that allegation) and placed on probation 2 or 3 times. I also was arrested twice for underage possession - a violation level offense (no DUIs). There were 4 total incidents, although one had no ramifications with my school or the law. I also withdrew for a term to deal with things (incl alcohol). The most recent incident occurred over 10 years ago. I received extensive one-on-one alcohol counseling at the time. I have had no issues since the beginning of my junior year. I still drink, but do so moderately - working with my counselor it was always clear that I did not have a problem with alcohol addiction, just responsible consumption.

GPA: 3.57 (Ivy league school). LSAT: 174

Thoughts on how this will impact my application? I'm looking at a mix of T14 and top-30 schools as well as a couple lower-ranked options. Does that seem right?

Also do I disclose the incident the incident in which I was hospitalized but which my college didn't know about and had no legal ramifications? I don't think I'm required to the way most questions are phrased. I want to be totally honest but I don't want to go overboard.

Thanks!

icechicken

Re: Character and Fitness impact

Postby icechicken » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:57 pm

10 years of no legal trouble should help a lot. Disclose thoroughly and (briefly) explain the steps you took to take control of your drinking, but if you are certain that that one hospitalization did not result in disciplinary action from your school you can probably omit that. With your numbers you'll have some great options in the T14. Northwestern especially likes profiles like yours.

I don't think you need to apply outside of the top 20 except for the best regional school in your desired area (e.g. U Alabama for Alabama).

Congrats on getting past that phase in your life and good luck!

superjoseth333

Re: Character and Fitness impact

Postby superjoseth333 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:59 am

Thanks for the feedback!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”