Am I done? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
181plz

Bronze

Am I done?

Post by 181plz » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:20 am

I’d like to attend a t13 and work in biglaw. I’ve sent apps to all the t13 except hys and chi. Also applied to wustl.

I’m considering sending apps to H and Chi (on the off chance I get lucky I guess), although it seems like a waste based on mylsn. I’m also considering sending apps to Georgetown, UCLA, and USC for potential negotiation purposes.

I received fee waivers from UCLA and USC. Denied by Georgetown. Should I apply to any of these five schools?

LSAT: 172
GPA: 3.4x
2 years WE

poptart123

Silver

Re: Am I done?

Post by poptart123 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:26 am

if you have the funds go ahead and apply to USC and UCLA. GULC if you really want

181plz

Bronze

Post by 181plz » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:36 am

poptart123 wrote:if you have the funds go ahead and apply to USC and UCLA. GULC if you really want

Can it prove helpful in obtaining $ from a t13?
Edit: the application fees are negligible to me if there’s a slight chance of it being useful

icechicken

Bronze

Post by icechicken » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:01 am

You're close to an auto-deny at H and probably an auto-waitlist at Chicago; I wouldn't bother. A big scholarship from a T20 school might be useful in negotiating with the lower T13 so go ahead and roll the dice if you have the cash. I'd also add Vanderbilt, Texas and especially WUSTL (which frequently shells out close to full tuition for a 172) to that list, even if you don't think you'd actually go to any of those places, for the same reason.

181plz

Bronze

Post by 181plz » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:55 am

icechicken wrote:You're close to an auto-deny at H and probably an auto-waitlist at Chicago; I wouldn't bother. A big scholarship from a T20 school might be useful in negotiating with the lower T13 so go ahead and roll the dice if you have the cash. I'd also add Vanderbilt, Texas and especially WUSTL (which frequently shells out close to full tuition for a 172) to that list, even if you don't think you'd actually go to any of those places, for the same reason.
I did apply to Texas and vandy. Sorry forgot to mention in op

icechicken

Bronze

Post by icechicken » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:38 am

181plz wrote:I did apply to Texas and vandy. Sorry forgot to mention in op
Ah, and I missed that you've already applied to WashU.

Personally I'd apply to USC/UCLA and forgo GULC (no waiver, and they're not likely to beat their peers in terms of scholarships), but it's hard to go wrong here. Many people find it better to err on the side of buying these $35 lottery tickets so that they never have to wonder what might have been. The ROI works out because even a 1% chance of getting an extra $10k is worth a bit more than the money you're spending, but you're really paying for that peace of mind.

It's also conceivable that USC/UCLA with money ends up being your best option once all the dust settles, although you'll probably do a fair bit better than that, so keeping those options on the table seems prudent. Good luck with your cycle!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”