Old Fart Support Group please Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Old Fart Support Group please

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:04 pm

Is anyone else feeling a bit paranoid that their age may be resulting in slower results than others with similar numbers who submitted at a similar time? Based on my research, LSN, etc. etc. I know age isn't the kiss of death, but I sense that schools are maybe hesitant to admit me and I'm getting put on a lot of 'wait and see' piles which possibly a younger person with similar stats and softs may avoid. Seems like it's happening at enough schools that it's a trend for me. Or maybe I'm totally dreaming...or maybe screwed up my apps somehow? Is anyone else in this boat? Thought maybe we could support each other. You know, tell each other everything will be ok, then eat dinner at 4:30, watch Jeopardy, and head to bed at 8ish.

icechicken

Bronze

Re: Old Fart Support Group please

Post by icechicken » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:18 pm

1) It's November. You're relying on the tiny proportion of people who have gotten results by now and also post about it on the Internet to fuel your freakout engine.

2) Unless you're nearing retirement, age seriously isn't a negative. You'd have great options with your numbers even if you were 80.

3) If you're stressed about the JS1 specifically, it probably has more to do with being a non-UR reverse splitter than anything else.

You're stressing out a lot about things that aren't very important. If you've submitted all your apps, I think you should take a break from the internet and enjoy one of the many things you won't have time to do anymore once law school starts.

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:38 pm

Everything will be okay. Especially for you, who doesn't have to count on a decade of work experience for distance from a bad GPA.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:03 pm

I love you guys. I think honestly the slap upside the head is what I need. Farewell internet. Off to yell at the kids on my lawn.

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:17 pm

I was really hoping we could continue this thread so I wouldn't have to keep pretending to understand youth slang to participate in off topic discussions .

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:20 pm

I'm fine continuing this as a thread for those of us who will bring up the average age of our law school classes.

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:19 pm

Maybe we can continue it in the vein of 'I'm old like a fine wine' and not 'I'm old like someone who got shelved by the NYU admissions committee'.

Seriously though, it would be helpful for me (as this thread already has been) to get a Batman style slap now and then when I lose perspective thanks to the TLS Acceptances/Denials/WLs forum and my jealousy of the high achieving youth.

I'm 36, have a few graduate degrees (was confused) and work in legal research. Applied to most of T-15 plus Vanderbilt, GW, and Minnesota. Only heard back from Duke so far, plus have a GULC interview next week.

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:22 pm

(It felt like we should introduce ourselves. Like AA.)

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:30 pm

Hey, at least you've heard back from somewhere top-notch. I finished putting in my applications yesterday. A few T13, plus Texas, Vandy, WUSTL, and a selection of the better-outcomes schools in the South and Midwest, plus my in-state flagship. I did a wave the middle of last month, then another wave this week. I've only heard back from my in-state flagship, but I'm a super-splitter, so I'm not expecting quick results. I'm 34 and spent a decade in the insurance industry.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

coskigirl

Bronze

Post by coskigirl » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:34 pm

Yep, old fart here. From what I know I'm one of the oldest on TLS applying this cycle. Hello fuckit forties.

My numbers aren't what some of yours are but I've got a lot going for me. Not the least of which is my company will pay a portion of my costs and write in higher than market raises while I'm in school to account for the additional knowledge and skills gained through school. Oh, and an all but guaranteed position as an attorney upon graduation and bar passage. But I really just want to see that acceptance and scholly info from my #1. I'm convinced that it will come in while I'm on an 11 hour flight from London to San Francisco tomorrow.

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:51 pm

Hello. My name is Dorkothy and I am an Old Fart and a Late Bloomer. I'm 34, will be 35 at the start of the school year. URM (MA), currently Asst. Manager at a community bank. I was careless in UG so I hope the passage of time as well as my much improved graduate school grades help me out a bit.
I'm looking at Pacific NW regional schools to settle in with my family. (Although my husband is very back and forth on coastal CA). Tiny Terror (my offspring) is starting kindergarten when I start law school. I hope we can study together.

I'm applying very slowly as I am very poor. (Application fees waived, but $35 is like 1/2 week of grocery money) LSAC didn't think I was poor enough, nonetheless. Anyway, hello! :)

Piggy11

New

Post by Piggy11 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:19 pm

coskigirl wrote:Yep, old fart here. From what I know I'm one of the oldest on TLS applying this cycle. Hello fuckit forties.

My numbers aren't what some of yours are but I've got a lot going for me. Not the least of which is my company will pay a portion of my costs and write in higher than market raises while I'm in school to account for the additional knowledge and skills gained through school. Oh, and an all but guaranteed position as an attorney upon graduation and bar passage. But I really just want to see that acceptance and scholly info from my #1. I'm convinced that it will come in while I'm on an 11 hour flight from London to San Francisco tomorrow.
I'm in my forties too :D

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:01 pm

Guys, I love this thread! While I’m sure we’re all ready to take on law school with full 23-year-old-esque zeal, still nice to have a place to discuss with those in the same boat.

I also have a kid - she’ll be 3 next year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NavyNuke

Bronze

Post by NavyNuke » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:11 pm

Hey everyone! Transitioning out of the military in the spring after 9+ yrs. I have 3 kids, and I will be 30 next fall when we start. May I join the club? :D

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:30 pm

30 with kids sure sounds like you belong here, to me.

NavyNuke

Bronze

Post by NavyNuke » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:42 pm

Woohoo! Best of luck everyone!

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:53 pm

I notice a lot of the young folk are really widespread in how they are choosing to apply. Do you think having a spouse/child has impacted your decision at all on where to apply?
I'm definitely limiting to regions where I would want my child to grow up. Although, I moved a lot as a child, having siblings softened the blow and I don't want Terror to have to move to a new school right before 3rd grade. It's a tough enough age. I am definitely planning to work in the city where I study for this reason.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Piggy11

New

Post by Piggy11 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:01 pm

DorkothyParker wrote:I notice a lot of the young folk are really widespread in how they are choosing to apply. Do you think having a spouse/child has impacted your decision at all on where to apply?
I'm definitely limiting to regions where I would want my child to grow up. Although, I moved a lot as a child, having siblings softened the blow and I don't want Terror to have to move to a new school right before 3rd grade. It's a tough enough age. I am definitely planning to work in the city where I study for this reason.
Yes. I'm only applying to schools within commuting distance from where I live. My family situation is such that I can't leave town for the next few years at least.

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:03 pm

My applications are definitely guided by my wife's career. When I started applying, I was limiting my approach to schools likely to be able to get me back here, at least in public service, since she was pretty solidly settled. Things have changed a bit, and now I've opened up the process to include places we'd both like to live and work, which mostly means the more populous bits of the South and Midwest.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:27 pm

I'm pretty fortunate in that my husband has a job that is fairly portable. Like you guys I'm thinking ahead to jurisdictions where I'd want to work - so not applying to schools that are more limiting (or that limit to places I wouldn't particularly love to live long-term). We pretty much plan on moving for law school, and then moving again afterwards, and if that doesn't turn out to be necessary, bonus. Also applied to two schools here in DC which I'd be really overjoyed to attend.

I think for me a big focus is hoping for aid, so I recognize that sometimes requires flexibility and an open mind....mostly pulling it off. Mostly.

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:35 pm

Bush v. Gorgeous wrote:I think for me a big focus is hoping for aid, so I recognize that sometimes requires flexibility and an open mind....mostly pulling it off. Mostly.
+180.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

coskigirl

Bronze

Post by coskigirl » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:26 pm

Still waiting. LSN shows nobody has received a decision from my #1 yet so that is reassuring but I really hope to see something before Thanksgiving. Mylsn shows that first acceptances have been sent out the day before Thanksgiving a few times in the last several cycles.

CapnTeal

New

Post by CapnTeal » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:05 pm

36 here. Will be 37 when I start school next fall. Just sending out a Hello and support!

coskigirl

Bronze

Post by coskigirl » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:09 pm

In at my #1 school with a full scholarship.

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:20 pm

coskigirl wrote:In at my #1 school with a full scholarship.
Way to go coskigirl! You rock, Rock.

Please let me know what I need to sacrifice to have that level of favor with the gods!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”