Old Fart Support Group please Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DorkothyParker

Bronze

Re: Old Fart Support Group please

Post by DorkothyParker » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:08 pm

coskigirl wrote:
wmbuff wrote:Ah, another acceptance with $$. The goal of a 5-figure COA at a top-40 is within sight! (The goal of choosing between that and a T14, not yet.)
Excellent!

I'm still waiting for my other 2 applications. I had a phone interview with one last Monday and she said typically 4 weeks from then. Her tone during the end of the interview was extremely positive, almost like she was selling me on the school rather than the other way around. We'll see. The other one states they start sending decisions in December but looking at LSN it doesn't look like anyone has gotten one from them yet this cycle. (Wow, that's a horrible sentence but I'm too tired to re-construct.) Then I'll start scholarship negotiation as I have since been informed that my original email was incorrect and listed the amount for a full-time student.

Hey Coski, I don't mean to stalk you, but we actually had several schools overlap and ran into you on Law School Numbers. :)

I had a phone interview with a school on Nov 13(might be same), and then my app completion date was reset to the new date (original completion was 10/16). Then it was reset to last Monday (12/5) for no apparent reason. Much optimism that they send out acceptances soon.
And the school that starts sending acceptances in December used to have a note on the checker that it could take up to six weeks. They must have removed that once they realized there were an awful lot of folks who applied more than six weeks out from December.

I'm just totes stressin' over here. I have a bit of an obsessive type.

coskigirl

Bronze

Post by coskigirl » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:50 pm

DorkothyParker wrote:
coskigirl wrote:
wmbuff wrote:Ah, another acceptance with $$. The goal of a 5-figure COA at a top-40 is within sight! (The goal of choosing between that and a T14, not yet.)
Excellent!

I'm still waiting for my other 2 applications. I had a phone interview with one last Monday and she said typically 4 weeks from then. Her tone during the end of the interview was extremely positive, almost like she was selling me on the school rather than the other way around. We'll see. The other one states they start sending decisions in December but looking at LSN it doesn't look like anyone has gotten one from them yet this cycle. (Wow, that's a horrible sentence but I'm too tired to re-construct.) Then I'll start scholarship negotiation as I have since been informed that my original email was incorrect and listed the amount for a full-time student.

Hey Coski, I don't mean to stalk you, but we actually had several schools overlap and ran into you on Law School Numbers. :)

I had a phone interview with a school on Nov 13(might be same), and then my app completion date was reset to the new date (original completion was 10/16). Then it was reset to last Monday (12/5) for no apparent reason. Much optimism that they send out acceptances soon.
And the school that starts sending acceptances in December used to have a note on the checker that it could take up to six weeks. They must have removed that once they realized there were an awful lot of folks who applied more than six weeks out from December.

I'm just totes stressin' over here. I have a bit of an obsessive type.
I tend to be obsessive as well but certainly have been able to back off given that I got into my #1. It's a good thing because end of the year pressures are high right now. That being said, just to give you a data point, for the interview school mine had said complete on 11/28 but I now see they changed it to 12/7. I wonder if that all has to do with when the interview uploaded their notes regarding the interview into the system? I vaguely remember the 6 week note as well.

Piggy11

New

Post by Piggy11 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:23 pm

Hey, congrats. I have trouble finding this tread if it's not on the front page, so apologies for the delayed high-five!

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:09 pm

Well, Alabama finally got around to telling me I'm on the waitlist (I'd kinda figured it since the status changed to something that traditionally indicates it's coming back at the beginning of the month). I'll get them a LOCI this weekend, but first, I'm flying out to Arizona State for their admitted students day. The waitlists from traditionally splitter-friendly schools are a let-down, but make sense in light of the increase in high-LSAT applicants. For the time being, I've got a great pair of offers in hand, a couple more admissions I hope will get $ at some point, and plenty of unanswered applications.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:31 pm

wmbuff wrote:Well, Alabama finally got around to telling me I'm on the waitlist (I'd kinda figured it since the status changed to something that traditionally indicates it's coming back at the beginning of the month). I'll get them a LOCI this weekend, but first, I'm flying out to Arizona State for their admitted students day. The waitlists from traditionally splitter-friendly schools are a let-down, but make sense in light of the increase in high-LSAT applicants. For the time being, I've got a great pair of offers in hand, a couple more admissions I hope will get $ at some point, and plenty of unanswered applications.
You 110% have great offers! Sorry about the waitlist but it's their loss (and frankly bizarre).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:33 pm

Checking in a bit late. I just entered submitting apps the last two weeks because I choked on my June LSAT and couldn't retake til December. Should be done with apps by the end of the week. Been out of school for 11 years...

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:11 pm

Bush v. Gorgeous wrote:
wmbuff wrote:Well, Alabama finally got around to telling me I'm on the waitlist (I'd kinda figured it since the status changed to something that traditionally indicates it's coming back at the beginning of the month). I'll get them a LOCI this weekend, but first, I'm flying out to Arizona State for their admitted students day. The waitlists from traditionally splitter-friendly schools are a let-down, but make sense in light of the increase in high-LSAT applicants. For the time being, I've got a great pair of offers in hand, a couple more admissions I hope will get $ at some point, and plenty of unanswered applications.
You 110% have great offers! Sorry about the waitlist but it's their loss (and frankly bizarre).
I won't be at all surprised if this turns out to be a year where folks can get $$$ off the waitlist some places. I mean, I'm not expecting to see scholarships with my GPA out of the t13, but you never know, especially if we see an LSAT score arms race. It's still early, and I doubt my mind will be made up before April. Who knows, this could drag into the summer - and a long game can benefit old farts who've learned patience.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:54 pm

Still no movement for me. My first application was accepted and went complete back in September. :o

I can afford to be patient (through to spring, as expected), but not *that* patient as I will ultimately need to give notice at my job and get my house on the market by early summer. Oh, and make sure I get kiddo enrolled at whatever school she will end up attending in August.

I realize that is still a very long time from now, but it would be nice to at least have some indication that this is happening at all. I can tussle with the scholarship stuff later.

I did finally get my October and November mediation money so I can do my holiday shopping this weekend! Target, here I come!

coskigirl

Bronze

Post by coskigirl » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:07 pm

DorkothyParker wrote:Still no movement for me. My first application was accepted and went complete back in September. :o

I can afford to be patient (through to spring, as expected), but not *that* patient as I will ultimately need to give notice at my job and get my house on the market by early summer. Oh, and make sure I get kiddo enrolled at whatever school she will end up attending in August.

I realize that is still a very long time from now, but it would be nice to at least have some indication that this is happening at all. I can tussle with the scholarship stuff later.

I did finally get my October and November mediation money so I can do my holiday shopping this weekend! Target, here I come!
I'm holding out hope that there will be a sweep of notices before Christmas.

So, I had a bit of a surprise thrown into my plans yesterday. I was driving and listening to NPR when I heard a sponsorship message message from my #1 school. Then it started saying "now offering an online hybrid part-time JD program". Uh, wait WHAT?!?!?!? The program I've been accepted to? When did that change? Sure enough, I check out their website and they are no longer listing an "evening" program but rather a "part-time" program which has on-campus classes every other weekend and then online classes the alternate weekends. I called the admissions office for more details today and while they guy who answered was able to confirm that it was changing he wasn't able to answer many other questions. I'm waiting for a call or email from the dean with more details. I have mixed feelings about this change right now so I need to settle in and really think about it once I understand the details.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

coskigirl

Bronze

Post by coskigirl » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:53 pm

DorkothyParker wrote:Still no movement for me. My first application was accepted and went complete back in September. :o

I got accepted at the December notice school today (via status checker, no email yet). Hope you see some movement soon!

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:07 pm

coskigirl wrote:

I got accepted at the December notice school today (via status checker, no email yet). Hope you see some movement soon!

Saw the checker, received email later. In with 30K/year scholarship offer.
It's a relief to have some motion.

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:09 pm

DorkothyParker wrote: Saw the checker, received email later. In with 30K/year scholarship offer.
Congratulations! It's a real relief to get that first scholarship offer. Whatever else happens, there's an option.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coskigirl

Bronze

Post by coskigirl » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:28 pm

DorkothyParker wrote:
coskigirl wrote:

Saw the checker, received email later. In with 30K/year scholarship offer.
YAYAYAY! I'm in with a $20k/year scholarship.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:53 pm

coskigirl wrote:YAYAYAY! I'm in with a $20k/year scholarship.
Congratulations to you, as well!

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:52 pm

Congrats to you both!!

I'm feeling jazzed this week - got interviews at two of my top choices. Hopefully some waves tomorrow too??

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:54 pm

I've had very little movement, though my state school sent me an email saying a scholarship letter will be mailed out tomorrow. It could be hard for them to remain competitive in the end game, with really low in-state tuition, and me already living within commuting distance from the school, I could consider a good enough offer there. Other than that, it's just been going under review at one of my extreme reaches.

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:28 pm

Got another acceptance today! No scholarship info listed, I'll need to wait for snail mail packet for details. Still happy!

It's a good week.

I am waiting on one school, my most competitive school, but I submitted later so I know it'll take some time. It's not even in review yet. :oops:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:30 pm

DorkothyParker wrote:Got another acceptance today! No scholarship info listed, I'll need to wait for snail mail packet for details. Still happy!

It's a good week.

I am waiting on one school, my most competitive school, but I submitted later so I know it'll take some time. It's not even in review yet. :oops:
Yes!!! 2 acceptances today - so good. Finally working toward the long shots...

coskigirl

Bronze

Post by coskigirl » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:46 pm

DorkothyParker wrote:Got another acceptance today! No scholarship info listed, I'll need to wait for snail mail packet for details. Still happy!

It's a good week.
Me too! Glad to hear that you didn’t have scholarship info as well.

coskigirl

Bronze

Post by coskigirl » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:47 pm

Bush v. Gorgeous wrote:

It's a good week.

Congrats!

Piggy11

New

Post by Piggy11 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:00 pm

Bush v. Gorgeous wrote:
Awesome and long overdue!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

speedwagon

New

Post by speedwagon » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:46 am

I am very happy to find this thread! Very in need of this community.

I am nearly 35, doing apps, was going like gangbusters but then work came up and now I'm behind. I am hoping to hit submit on everything once and for all by Friday or at worst by the 25th (taking advantage of the I'm-a-Jew free day off!) - I just have a last few that had extra writing attached or needed something specific (UCLA, Yale, CUNY.) This whole process is mind-bending. My partner and I are in active talks about what moving would mean - luckily she's in technology and can work remotely and/or get a job anywhere. I just got my first acceptance - to a safety that I only went complete on a week ago - and suddenly have lost 100% of my ability to remain chill and not refresh admissions portals.

Cheering for everyone and very glad to have some others to drink my weak tea and shake my cane with.

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:39 am

speedwagon wrote:I am very happy to find this thread! Very in need of this community.

I am nearly 35, doing apps, was going like gangbusters but then work came up and now I'm behind. I am hoping to hit submit on everything once and for all by Friday or at worst by the 25th (taking advantage of the I'm-a-Jew free day off!) - I just have a last few that had extra writing attached or needed something specific (UCLA, Yale, CUNY.) This whole process is mind-bending. My partner and I are in active talks about what moving would mean - luckily she's in technology and can work remotely and/or get a job anywhere. I just got my first acceptance - to a safety that I only went complete on a week ago - and suddenly have lost 100% of my ability to remain chill and not refresh admissions portals.

Cheering for everyone and very glad to have some others to drink my weak tea and shake my cane with.
Get off my lawn! And welcome and congrats on the first acceptance! The good news is that, as a real adult, you will be roughly 200-300% calmer about this process than the rest of the applicants (if you want evidence of people going round ALL THE BENDS just visit the Harvard admissions forum).

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:13 pm

coskigirl wrote:

It's a good week.
I spoke with Dean Johnson when she was visiting Boise. The school is definitely on a course to do great things.

Not that rankings are everything, and regardless they are the best in the state, but it does seem like they are on a positive upswing. Bar passage rates are up this year and they are slowly but surely working toward enrolling fewer students each year so as not to flood the local job market.

coskigirl

Bronze

Post by coskigirl » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:43 am

DorkothyParker wrote:
coskigirl wrote:

It's a good week.
I spoke with Dean Johnson when she was visiting Boise. The school is definitely on a course to do great things.

Not that rankings are everything, and regardless they are the best in the state, but it does seem like they are on a positive upswing. Bar passage rates are up this year and they are slowly but surely working toward enrolling fewer students each year so as not to flood the local job market.
Interesting. They'll have to offer me a lot of $ to swing me their direction but we shall see. Do you live in Boise? I grew up there until I was 14. Was just back in October for the first time to go to my ski team's 50th anniversary gala. My dad was the head coach back then so he came over from PDX as well. The city really has changed for the better!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”