High School Detention

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vuleaxsup
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:03 pm

High School Detention

Postby vuleaxsup » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:50 am

Harvard and NYU ask about "any" educational institute for character and fitness. I received a high school detention. I asked my high school, and they said disciplinary records are destroyed. Should I disclose?

cavalier1138
Posts: 4486
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: High School Detention

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:59 am

The fact that you remember a detention in high school is pretty impressive.

But no. Unless your high school used detentions as punishment for serious issues, I think you're safe not disclosing your detention.

User avatar
bmathers
Posts: 878
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: High School Detention

Postby bmathers » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:37 pm

Lol, it's pretty awesome that you are being this honest. I wouldn't worry about anything from HS, maybe short of academic dishonesty. A HS detention is nothing.

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2921
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: High School Detention

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:53 pm

We call those infractions like high school detention "auto dings" in admissions















(just kidding it's the least offensive infraction I have heard of since someone got written up for reading Harry Potter in a cemetery)

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1811
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: High School Detention

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:54 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:just kidding it's the least offensive infraction I have heard of since someone got written up for reading Harry Potter in a cemetery

"This incident happened a long time ago, and I learned from my mistake. I hope the committee will consider the steps I've taken to better myself. Please see attached pictures of me reading other books in other places."

***continues on for 1400 words***

preamble
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:18 pm

Re: High School Detention

Postby preamble » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:14 pm

You're probably fine. Saturday detentions, on the other hand...

User avatar
sweets91
Posts: 757
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:22 am

Re: High School Detention

Postby sweets91 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:15 pm

preamble wrote:You're probably fine. Saturday detentions, on the other hand...


Is this a joke? Because I got Saturday detentions religiously lol
No, you don't need to disclose anything unless you were..expelled or something

preamble
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:18 pm

Re: High School Detention

Postby preamble » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:17 pm

sweets91 wrote:
preamble wrote:You're probably fine. Saturday detentions, on the other hand...


Is this a joke? Because I got Saturday detentions religiously lol
No, you don't need to disclose anything unless you were..expelled or something


Time to start looking for a new career path.

User avatar
sweets91
Posts: 757
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:22 am

Re: High School Detention

Postby sweets91 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:25 pm

preamble wrote:
sweets91 wrote:
preamble wrote:You're probably fine. Saturday detentions, on the other hand...


Is this a joke? Because I got Saturday detentions religiously lol
No, you don't need to disclose anything unless you were..expelled or something


Time to start looking for a new career path.


kid I'm a 3L with a job lined up, so....

preamble
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:18 pm

Re: High School Detention

Postby preamble » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:31 pm

sweets91 wrote:
preamble wrote:
sweets91 wrote:
preamble wrote:You're probably fine. Saturday detentions, on the other hand...


Is this a joke? Because I got Saturday detentions religiously lol
No, you don't need to disclose anything unless you were..expelled or something


Time to start looking for a new career path.


kid I'm a 3L with a job lined up, so....


Doesn't change anything. You can't sit for the bar with a record tarnished with Saturday detentions.

User avatar
sweets91
Posts: 757
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:22 am

Re: High School Detention

Postby sweets91 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:32 pm

preamble wrote:
sweets91 wrote:
preamble wrote:
sweets91 wrote:
preamble wrote:You're probably fine. Saturday detentions, on the other hand...


Is this a joke? Because I got Saturday detentions religiously lol
No, you don't need to disclose anything unless you were..expelled or something


Time to start looking for a new career path.


kid I'm a 3L with a job lined up, so....


Doesn't change anything. You can't sit for the bar with a record tarnished with Saturday detentions.


ah..you were joking
can't read tone online lol

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2921
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: High School Detention

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:21 am

Pneumonia wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:just kidding it's the least offensive infraction I have heard of since someone got written up for reading Harry Potter in a cemetery

"This incident happened a long time ago, and I learned from my mistake. I hope the committee will consider the steps I've taken to better myself. Please see attached pictures of me reading other books in other places."

***continues on for 1400 words***


So. Utterly. True.

****also calls my cellphone 600 times to make sure this won't make them ineligible for The Bar***

vuleaxsup
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:03 pm

Re: High School Detention

Postby vuleaxsup » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:15 pm

bmathers wrote:Lol, it's pretty awesome that you are being this honest. I wouldn't worry about anything from HS, maybe short of academic dishonesty. A HS detention is nothing.


Thank you for all the comments. As sweets commented, tone is hard to read on the internet. So, just to make certain, it is okay if I omit high school detentions?

User avatar
bmathers
Posts: 878
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: High School Detention

Postby bmathers » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:00 pm

vuleaxsup wrote:
bmathers wrote:Lol, it's pretty awesome that you are being this honest. I wouldn't worry about anything from HS, maybe short of academic dishonesty. A HS detention is nothing.


Thank you for all the comments. As sweets commented, tone is hard to read on the internet. So, just to make certain, it is okay if I omit high school detentions?

Yes, you are fine




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests