Addendum Advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
msgorm11

Addendum Advice

Postby msgorm11 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:07 pm

My transcript includes 9 Ws and 5 Fs due to a struggle with mental health issues (several years ago, no recurrence). LSAT is 176, GPA is ~3.15.

Obviously, I need to include an addendum. My question is, what level of disclosure is most beneficial to me? An explanation of the issues/steps taken to overcome? A simple, "Academic issues arose due to medical issues. Since xx date, I have had no medical issues. Further information is available upon request."

Any advice is appreciated.

cavalier1138

Re: Addendum Advice

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:24 pm

I generally like short addenda, but this goes a little too far in that direction. You need to disclose something more along the lines of "My academic performance during [semesters] suffered due to mental health issues. I was subsequently diagnosed with [condition] and underwent treatment. Since then, I have had no further issues and have maintained a [X] GPA."

icechicken

Postby icechicken » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:40 pm

Agree with cavalier that you should define exactly what academic issues you're trying to explain and also what specific medical problem you had. You don't want to sound cagey. The above template is great.

ls18orbust

Postby ls18orbust » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:31 am

I'm in a similar situation, and am writing an addendum. What would I say though if the medical issues was never actually diagnosed? I had a period of about 6 months where I was in and out of the hospital and we couldn't figure out exactly what was wrong and I kept having to take different prescriptions, eventually I got better though. What would you suggest for this?

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:43 am

ls18orbust wrote:I'm in a similar situation, and am writing an addendum. What would I say though if the medical issues was never actually diagnosed? I had a period of about 6 months where I was in and out of the hospital and we couldn't figure out exactly what was wrong and I kept having to take different prescriptions, eventually I got better though. What would you suggest for this?

Pretty much the same thing you just wrote.

But just to clarify, you said you were in a "similar situation" to the OP, who had mental health issues. It sounds like you were talking about physical symptoms, but just to be sure: you do not want to write an addendum for undiagnosed and untreated mental health issues.

ls18orbust

Postby ls18orbust » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:40 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Pretty much the same thing you just wrote.

But just to clarify, you said you were in a "similar situation" to the OP, who had mental health issues. It sounds like you were talking about physical symptoms, but just to be sure: you do not want to write an addendum for undiagnosed and untreated mental health issues.

Ya, physical not mental health related!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”