is it worth it for me to apply for penn ed?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sherwood6
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:47 am

is it worth it for me to apply for penn ed?

Postby sherwood6 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:08 am

i know how bad ED is but here me out:

i have a 3.1 and 171 coming from a big10 state school majoring in philosophy/history. i have a gpa addendum, with my first 3 semester gpa being a 2.6 and the average of the rest being close to 4.0.throughout the last 3 years in college i've made close to 50k playing poker/investing in cryptocurrency. i intend to use all of that towards paying for law school.

i want to do biglaw when i graduate. being that i want to do biglaw, it seems logical to aim for t14. but, with my stats, i don't think i will get a scholarship ANYWHERE in the t14. so, if it makes sense for me to go to a t14, it seems like i should do what i can to get into the best t14 i can.

with 50k, i feel i can take on more debt. with my career goals and stats, it feels like it would be best for me to go for a t14, and the best t14 i can get into could be through applying ed.

does it then make sense to apply to penn ed? or another school is better for ed/ i shouldnt apply ed regardless?

i'm aware of the sites that aggregate admissions outcomes, but there arent that many applicants with these stats, and i think my financial bump makes this harder to decide.

any help greatly appreciated! not posting just to find someone to agree with me, i promise :P

sifn32
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:03 am

Re: is it worth it for me to apply for penn ed?

Postby sifn32 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:53 am

I don't think you have much of a chance at getting into Penn, as they really don't like splitters (higher LSAT than median, lower GPA than median).

cavalier1138
Posts: 4486
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: is it worth it for me to apply for penn ed?

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:56 am

No. ED doesn't always increase you chances of getting in, and money at the lower T13 isn't completely out of the question with your numbers.

sherwood6
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:47 am

Re: is it worth it for me to apply for penn ed?

Postby sherwood6 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:18 pm

sifn32 wrote:I don't think you have much of a chance at getting into Penn, as they really don't like splitters (higher LSAT than median, lower GPA than median).


is there another school that would accept me ED that normally wouldn't. i thought penn would fall under that but i didnt know they dont like splitters.

cavalier1138 wrote:No. ED doesn't always increase you chances of getting in, and money at the lower T13 isn't completely out of the question with your numbers.


where/how could i get money in the t13? i assumed $ with my stats is an anomaly for those schools

cavalier1138
Posts: 4486
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: is it worth it for me to apply for penn ed?

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:37 pm

sherwood6 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:No. ED doesn't always increase you chances of getting in, and money at the lower T13 isn't completely out of the question with your numbers.


where/how could i get money in the t13? i assumed $ with my stats is an anomaly for those schools


It's not very predictable, but MyLSN shows candidates with similar numbers (171/3.0-3.2) getting some money at Michigan and Northwestern. Splitter scholarships are even less predictable than splitter admissions, so your best bet is to apply as broadly as possible.

sifn32
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:03 am

Re: is it worth it for me to apply for penn ed?

Postby sifn32 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:09 pm

I stand corrected, it does seem (at least on LSN) that some people got into Penn in past years with your stats. I'm not sure if ED is the right option for you, still. 300k is a lot to pay for law school even if you get in. My advice would be to apply broadly in the lower T14, you're probably get some money somewhere, even if it's off the waitlist.

User avatar
Tape Dog
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:19 pm

Re: is it worth it for me to apply for penn ed?

Postby Tape Dog » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:05 am

I know someone who did Penn ed. He was accepted. His lsat was 160's, but 4.0 gpa...

sherwood6 wrote:i know how bad ED is but here me out:

i have a 3.1 and 171 coming from a big10 state school majoring in philosophy/history. i have a gpa addendum, with my first 3 semester gpa being a 2.6 and the average of the rest being close to 4.0.throughout the last 3 years in college i've made close to 50k playing poker/investing in cryptocurrency. i intend to use all of that towards paying for law school.

i want to do biglaw when i graduate. being that i want to do biglaw, it seems logical to aim for t14. but, with my stats, i don't think i will get a scholarship ANYWHERE in the t14. so, if it makes sense for me to go to a t14, it seems like i should do what i can to get into the best t14 i can.

with 50k, i feel i can take on more debt. with my career goals and stats, it feels like it would be best for me to go for a t14, and the best t14 i can get into could be through applying ed.

does it then make sense to apply to penn ed? or another school is better for ed/ i shouldnt apply ed regardless?

i'm aware of the sites that aggregate admissions outcomes, but there arent that many applicants with these stats, and i think my financial bump makes this harder to decide.

any help greatly appreciated! not posting just to find someone to agree with me, i promise :P




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hamilton&burr, SwanFielding and 4 guests