Harvard Junior Deferral Program Chances

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GreeneGumby

Harvard Junior Deferral Program Chances

Postby GreeneGumby » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:56 pm

I'm a current sophomore and I'm looking at the junior deferral program and wondering if it's worth my time to apply. So, first, some current info about me. By the end of this semester I'll hopefully have a 3.83 cumulative GPA (currently a 3.79 but on an upward trend and I'm taking 20 credits this semester). I'm hopeful that by the time I'd apply I'd have at least a 3.86-89. I'm a philosophy and classical languages double major. In terms of softs, not tons of clubs or things but some interesting extracurriculars. I spent a month as an 18-year-old living on my own and woking construction in the Himalayas of Northern India for example. But I'm not editor of the school paper or president of any clubs or anything. Also, if it matters, I was a National Merit Scholar Finalist (didn't get the scholly b/c my high school GPA wasn't amazing. 3.6something IIRC).

The program interests me because I really would love to get a graduate degree in philosophy but I have no desire to be a professor. Ideally, I would spend the year after undergrad doing Oxford's Mst (masters of ancient philosophy), spend a year working, and then go to law school.

My real question is, assuming I can score a 170+ (ideally a 173+) on the LSAT, is it worth the time to apply? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth studying for the LSAT now as a sophomore or if it wouldn't be worth the time. The mylsn info is a little limited because the sample size is so small (and not JDP specific). Any advice about the program in general is welcome too.

Also, since I wouldn't apply until next year (technically Feb. 2019 I think), how does the recent ABA testing news affect me?

cavalier1138

Re: Harvard Junior Deferral Program Chances

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:13 pm

Stop thinking about law school admissions, and just focus on school. Come back when you have an LSAT score.

GreeneGumby

Postby GreeneGumby » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:28 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Stop thinking about law school admissions, and just focus on school. Come back when you have an LSAT score.

My point is that if I don't apply to this program, I won't take the LSAT until at least Sept. 2019 but probably Sept. 2020. I'd love to do the junior deferral program, but I can't tell if I have a legit shot (even with a good LSAT score). If I don't have a real chance at admission, I'm not going to study for the LSAT right now. So all I'm trying to figure out is if I have say a 3.85 and a 173, is that worth application? I realize it would be for normal application when I'd apply to like 10 schools, but if I do JDP, I'm only applying to the one program, so I don't want to apply on an off chance or something.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:45 pm

If you have a 3.85 and 173, you probably have a shot at admission. But since you don't have an LSAT score, you have no chance at admission. There's literally nothing anyone can tell you about your chances from a GPA alone.

icechicken

Postby icechicken » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:53 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Stop thinking about law school admissions, and just focus on school. Come back when you have an LSAT score.

+1

A 3.8ish GPA basically reveals nothing about one's chances at Harvard, since that's firmly in their middle 50%. LSAT will be decisive, and just guesstimating how you'll do on the exam isn't very helpful because the gap between 172 and 174 is massive.

GreeneGumby

Postby GreeneGumby » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:10 pm

icechicken wrote:

+1

A 3.8ish GPA basically reveals nothing about one's chances at Harvard, since that's firmly in their middle 50%. LSAT will be decisive, and just guesstimating how you'll do on the exam isn't very helpful because the gap between 172 and 174 is massive.

Okay that's what I wanted to know. It seems that it's at least worth my time to study for and take the LSAT sooner rather than later. Sounds good.

Delano

Postby Delano » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:38 pm

+1 to everything that's been said wrt your chances.

I think you should think about whether it's worth it to apply to the Junior Deferral program at all. If I were you, I'd graduate, get some life experience, get the masters, etc, and then evaluate whether you still want to apply to law school. There's really no advantage to the Junior Deferral program over than the ordinary route, it forces you to apply before you've had the life experience to know if law school is right for you, and the binding aspect means you're missing out on other options. Just something to consider.

goingnutslawschool

Postby goingnutslawschool » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:57 pm

Basically, the program states that if you are competitive as a junior you can apply being held to the same standards as the other applicants. Are you competitive? Who knows especially since you haven’t taken the LSAT. The other problem with the program is that since HLS gives no merit, you cannot apply to other law schools then compare financial aid packages that may include scholarship offers. Can you financially handle the cost? The way I see it, it’s attracts those highly competitive students who are sure about law school, have researched their fit for HLS have studied for the LSAT/GRE and have no need for scholarships. Is that you? Only you can decide that. Good luck with your decision.

namnguyen01

Postby namnguyen01 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:35 am

Mod edit: spam

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”