Wait for Letter?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vuleaxsup

Wait for Letter?

Postby vuleaxsup » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:16 pm

Everything is good to go (Essay, Optional Essays, etc...) except one letter. I currently have two letters: one from a professor I did research and published with for several years but who never taught me in a real class and another from an internship employer who I worked closely with (lots of one-to-one) as a research assistant (probably worked 5 mo full time in total). I also have a letter from a professor (A) I had two classes with, but I expect it to be a "did well in class" essay. I'm waiting for another letter from a professor (B) who I had one class with, but whose letter is definitely better than letter A.

I'm torn between waiting for letter B, submitting now and adding B later, and submitting with A, etc... I'm a K-JD so is my lack of true academic letters going to sink me? For reference, I'm aiming for T14.

OakBrook2021

Re: Wait for Letter?

Postby OakBrook2021 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:34 pm

You should really try to have 2 academic letters of recommendation

UVA2B

Postby UVA2B » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:42 pm

This is a pretty minor concern. If you're an otherwise strong candidate, your LORs won't matter. If you're a stretch, your LORs aren't going to save you. If you're borderline for the schools you want, the LORs are really unlikely to sway admissions one way or another.

That said, take the time to get your best LORs. Because you have no professional WE, that means you need academic LORs.

Obligatory "don't be a K-JD" advice. Work for a few years. Come back to law school when you've better figured out adulthood.

vuleaxsup

Postby vuleaxsup » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:25 pm

OakBrook2021 wrote:You should really try to have 2 academic letters of recommendation

What's the consensus about profs you've done research with? Isn't research simply academia?

goldenbear2020

Postby goldenbear2020 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:56 am

LORs are about quality, not quantity. I would go with the first two + B, and leave out A. That would be two academic letters + one employer letter.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”