PSU Dickinson vs. PSU University Park

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BU2014

PSU Dickinson vs. PSU University Park

Postby BU2014 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:43 pm

I know both are only worth it unless you are okay with central PA and are almost going for free.

My question is, with that aside...which is seen as better in the Central PA/Southern MD region?

I keep seeing that Dickinson used to have a good reputation before Penn State bought them?

bmathers

Re: PSU Dickinson vs. PSU University Park

Postby bmathers » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:33 am

BU2014 wrote:I know both are only worth it unless you are okay with central PA and are almost going for free.

My question is, with that aside...which is seen as better in the Central PA/Southern MD I keep seeing that Dickinson used to have a good reputation before Penn State bought them?

Dickinson still has a very good reputation in the area and a very strong alumni base - the curriculum is more hands-on and practice-ready than what I have gathered from friends at some other law schools (in your first semester, you are interviewing clients, preparing for and conducting depositions, etc). As long as you can live with living in Carlisle during law school, and attending such a tiny school, it's not a bad choice (especially if you want to stay in the PA region/area).

If you want any semblence of a social life, PS Law would be the more enjoyable route. However, for strictly professional reasons, with your career in mind, Dickinson seems to be better situated for that.

Blue52

Re: PSU Dickinson vs. PSU University Park

Postby Blue52 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:01 pm

I attended Dickinson School of Law and am now a government attorney in DC. You will find a lot more Dickinson grads in the DC area since Dickinson has been in operation much longer. The school at Penn State Law has only existed since 2006, so just for sheer numbers of graduates Dickinson Law still has the stronger base in DC. I have seen my classmates walking down the street and even ran into one of my professors walking in downtown DC. I do not associate with Penn State law alumni since I feel no connection to Penn State or State College. My loyalty is with Dickinson/Carlisle.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”