Submit apps while signed up for LSAT retake?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gmerch15

Submit apps while signed up for LSAT retake?

Postby gmerch15 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:42 pm

I've taken the LSAT in both June and September, and in both I scored just below my target score. Ideally I would've secured that score in one of those sessions in order to capitalize on submitting apps early in September/October, but now I'm registered to take the December 2nd LSAT and won't be hearing back my score until at earliest December 23rd, which is obviously dicey because the holidays. Right now my apps are about 50% complete, I'm nearing a final draft on my PS and should have my LORs in-hand shortly, but I'm wondering if there will be any reason to submit applications mid-November while also being registered for December LSAT?

-I read on a PowerScore post from 2012 that admissions officers cannot see if an applicant is registered for LSAT retake, does this still hold true?
-If I do note than I am retaking are the officers going to put a hold on my application?
-I've done enough research to know that a higher LSAT score (rather than applying early) is much more beneficial to an applicant, but given my situation is there a way to reconcile these two; to benefit from applying mid-November rather than January while also using a potentially higher December score?

Thanks all, any feedback would be much appreciated!

hamshotfirst

Re: Submit apps while signed up for LSAT retake?

Postby hamshotfirst » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:35 pm

gmerch15 wrote:I've taken the LSAT in both June and September, and in both I scored just below my target score. Ideally I would've secured that score in one of those sessions in order to capitalize on submitting apps early in September/October, but now I'm registered to take the December 2nd LSAT and won't be hearing back my score until at earliest December 23rd, which is obviously dicey because the holidays. Right now my apps are about 50% complete, I'm nearing a final draft on my PS and should have my LORs in-hand shortly, but I'm wondering if there will be any reason to submit applications mid-November while also being registered for December LSAT?

-I read on a PowerScore post from 2012 that admissions officers cannot see if an applicant is registered for LSAT retake, does this still hold true?
-If I do note than I am retaking are the officers going to put a hold on my application?
-I've done enough research to know that a higher LSAT score (rather than applying early) is much more beneficial to an applicant, but given my situation is there a way to reconcile these two; to benefit from applying mid-November rather than January while also using a potentially higher December score?

Thanks all, any feedback would be much appreciated!

If you submit an app while registered for another LSAT, most of the time schools will put your app on hold unless you specifically state that you want them to consider your app with your current score. Some people say that if you do this it means that you're at the top of the pile when your score does come in, but I have no idea if this is true or not.

But you are correct that a higher LSAT score is much more beneficial than applying earlier.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”