dumb question about why essays

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hihelpme
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:21 pm

dumb question about why essays

Postby hihelpme » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:46 am

should I title these or just use the essay prompt as a header? Thanks. Also, in regard to Duke and UVA, would it be appropriate to discuss the last year's civil rights events, or would that be too controversial?

Laewgbi
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:25 am

Re: dumb question about why essays

Postby Laewgbi » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:51 am

I titled my Duke essay Optional Essay I in the header.

User avatar
Hennessy
Posts: 1805
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: dumb question about why essays

Postby Hennessy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:31 am

hihelpme wrote:last year's civil rights events


what does this refer to
there were a lot of these

User avatar
pancakes3
Posts: 5928
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: dumb question about why essays

Postby pancakes3 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:34 am

don't talk about cville.

hihelpme
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:21 pm

Re: dumb question about why essays

Postby hihelpme » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:37 am

HennessyVSOP wrote:
hihelpme wrote:last year's civil rights events


what does this refer to
there were a lot of these



alt right conflict in Charlottesville
robert lee statue in durham

User avatar
Hennessy
Posts: 1805
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: dumb question about why essays

Postby Hennessy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:49 am

pancakes3 wrote:don't talk about cville.


*unless you are a URM

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 15925
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: dumb question about why essays

Postby Rigo » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:29 pm

I'd stay clear of that topic. I can't really imagine a way to talk about it that isn't either hallow or offputting.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 15925
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: dumb question about why essays

Postby Rigo » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:30 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:don't talk about cville.

*unless you are a URM

idk i still don't see how this would be a good idea

User avatar
blackmamba8
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:53 pm

Re: dumb question about why essays

Postby blackmamba8 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:47 pm

Just don't talk about Cville in regards to the alt-right stuff, right? Because I talked about it being a similar town as the one my undergrad was in.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 15925
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: dumb question about why essays

Postby Rigo » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:54 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:Just don't talk about Cville in regards to the alt-right stuff, right? Because I talked about it being a similar town as the one my undergrad was in.

Yeah of course that's fine.

181plz
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:23 am

Re: dumb question about why essays

Postby 181plz » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:17 am

How about writing my opinions about the war on terror? This would be in regard to duke’s Guantanamo defense clinic

User avatar
pancakes3
Posts: 5928
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: dumb question about why essays

Postby pancakes3 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:20 am

in terms of what makes an essay good, the essay topic takes a back seat to the actual writing. i think you're picking some really difficult subjects to write about but if you're a good writer, and you've got really good things to say, then yes - the essay will turn out fine.

however, given that there are easier (more generic) topics out there, that a bland "why" essay doesn't hurt your application any, and the fact that a bad "why" essay could potentially hurt your application, i don't know why you would want to do this.

cavalier1138
Posts: 4448
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: dumb question about why essays

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:35 am

181plz wrote:How about writing my opinions about the war on terror? This would be in regard to duke’s Guantanamo defense clinic


Unless you have a specific background that would lend itself to a clinic, it's probably not a good idea to structure your "Why [School]" essay around a single clinic.

These statements aren't going to make or break an application, and they aren't really a space to get "creative". Just keep it simple, and move on to the more important parts of the app.

181plz
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:23 am

Re: dumb question about why essays

Postby 181plz » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:06 pm

pancakes3 wrote:in terms of what makes an essay good, the essay topic takes a back seat to the actual writing. i think you're picking some really difficult subjects to write about but if you're a good writer, and you've got really good things to say, then yes - the essay will turn out fine.

however, given that there are easier (more generic) topics out there, that a bland "why" essay doesn't hurt your application any, and the fact that a bad "why" essay could potentially hurt your application, i don't know why you would want to do this.



I guess I’m having trouble figuring out what a bland essay entails.

sparkytrainer
Posts: 279
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:32 am

Re: dumb question about why essays

Postby sparkytrainer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:37 pm

181plz wrote:How about writing my opinions about the war on terror? This would be in regard to duke’s Guantanamo defense clinic


Im a 3L at Duke and I didn't even know we had a Guantanamo clinic. You should probably pass talking about it, given that no one is in it.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests