Why X - financial/scholarship mentions?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sunniebunnie

Why X - financial/scholarship mentions?

Postby sunniebunnie » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:17 pm

I'm writing Why X essays for pretty much all of the T14 because I have read about people with similar/lower numbers than mine being YP'd from several schools. I want to address in the essays that I am serious about attending lower-T14s because financial considerations are a huge deal for me, so I would rather attend a school that gives me significant money - how do I explain that scholarships are more important to me and make sure they don't assume I'm only gunning for HYSCCN, etc.? Without sounding like I'm degrading their school for being "lower ranked" or sounding arrogrant by assuming I'll get $$$?

UVA2B

Re: Why X - financial/scholarship mentions?

Postby UVA2B » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:22 pm

Don't address wanting tuition discounts overtly in a Why X, even if that's your primary reason for wanting that lower T14 school. The Why X should revolve around the things about the school that you want such as particular professors, culture, student body vibe, opportunities, location, etc. Even if it's not the whole truth for why you want to go to UVA or Duke, it should be persuasive reasons why you'd want to go there that are totally believable.

Once you're admitted, and if your numbers are commensurate with tuition discounts, you'll get them. And if you don't get as much as you'd like, bring back the T6 offers you hopefully get to negotiate more scholarships with those schools.

The Why X is not the place to advocate for a fire sale on your competitive numbers.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”