Reporting UGPA on my application

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
VasiliTyomny
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:41 pm

Reporting UGPA on my application

Postby VasiliTyomny » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:30 pm

How should I report my UGPA on my applications? I have my school's official transcript of 3.20 and LSAC's CAS stating a 3.09. I included a GPA addendum explaining the discrepancy, so would it reflect poorly on my application if I report the GPA from my official transcript rather than LSAC's calculated GPA?

User avatar
icechicken
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:09 pm

Re: Reporting UGPA on my application

Postby icechicken » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:40 pm

LSAC GPA everywhere. Your transcript will have your school's version on it, so the person reviewing your app will see it, but it basically doesn't matter.

cavalier1138
Posts: 4450
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Reporting UGPA on my application

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:46 pm

LSAC GPA is the only one that counts, and get rid of that addendum.

User avatar
VasiliTyomny
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:41 pm

Re: Reporting UGPA on my application

Postby VasiliTyomny » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:34 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:LSAC GPA is the only one that counts, and get rid of that addendum.


Can you explain your reasoning?

User avatar
VasiliTyomny
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:41 pm

Re: Reporting UGPA on my application

Postby VasiliTyomny » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:35 pm

icechicken wrote:LSAC GPA everywhere. Your transcript will have your school's version on it, so the person reviewing your app will see it, but it basically doesn't matter.


Thanks. I only realized this may be an issue after I sent in two applications with my official transcript GPA. Do you think it would significantly hinder my application?

cavalier1138
Posts: 4450
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Reporting UGPA on my application

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:51 pm

VasiliTyomny wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:LSAC GPA is the only one that counts, and get rid of that addendum.


Can you explain your reasoning?


LSAC GPA is literally the only thing that counts, so I'm not sure what reasoning you need me to provide there. And a GPA addendum is only useful (and barely so) if you're using it to explain something like a medical condition that isn't apparent from the rest of your application. It's not useful as a tool to point out the injustice of LSAC's system or to highlight that you fucked up in a bunch of community college courses. It can only be a negative in those situations.

User avatar
VasiliTyomny
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:41 pm

Re: Reporting UGPA on my application

Postby VasiliTyomny » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:00 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
VasiliTyomny wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:LSAC GPA is the only one that counts, and get rid of that addendum.


Can you explain your reasoning?


LSAC GPA is literally the only thing that counts, so I'm not sure what reasoning you need me to provide there. And a GPA addendum is only useful (and barely so) if you're using it to explain something like a medical condition that isn't apparent from the rest of your application. It's not useful as a tool to point out the injustice of LSAC's system or to highlight that you fucked up in a bunch of community college courses. It can only be a negative in those situations.


Well, if you'd like me to get into specifics my addendum was based on me having a diagnosed medical condition, and I mentioned my divergent GPA as a reflection of that fact. I didn't bring it up in the thread because I did not feel it was relevant to my question in general.

User avatar
icechicken
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:09 pm

Re: Reporting UGPA on my application

Postby icechicken » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:16 pm

VasiliTyomny wrote:Well, if you'd like me to get into specifics my addendum was based on me having a diagnosed medical condition, and I mentioned my divergent GPA as a reflection of that fact. I didn't bring it up in the thread because I did not feel it was relevant to my question in general.


In your OP you said the addendum was meant to explain the discrepancy between your LSDAS GPA and your degree GPA. cavalier is correct that that is useless at best.

If your addendum explains how your medical issues negatively affected your grades, that's a totally different story, but you implied otherwise earlier.

User avatar
VasiliTyomny
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:41 pm

Re: Reporting UGPA on my application

Postby VasiliTyomny » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:22 pm

icechicken wrote:
VasiliTyomny wrote:Well, if you'd like me to get into specifics my addendum was based on me having a diagnosed medical condition, and I mentioned my divergent GPA as a reflection of that fact. I didn't bring it up in the thread because I did not feel it was relevant to my question in general.


In your OP you said the addendum was meant to explain the discrepancy between your LSDAS GPA and your degree GPA. cavalier is correct that that is useless at best.

If your addendum explains how your medical issues negatively affected your grades, that's a totally different story, but you implied otherwise earlier.


I can see how it can be interpreted as such, even though when I wrote it that wasn't my intent. Regardless of the semantics, would you say that accidentally including my official transcript GPA on two applications I've sent in warrants clarification?

User avatar
icechicken
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:09 pm

Re: Reporting UGPA on my application

Postby icechicken » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:29 pm

VasiliTyomny wrote:would you say that accidentally including my official transcript GPA on two applications I've sent in warrants clarification?


Definitely. Appearing to have misrepresented your GPA to your advantage is a Bad Thing. Email the appropriate admissions offices, explain your mistake, and provide the correct number. This sort of thing happens often enough that it shouldn't be a big deal.

cavalier1138
Posts: 4450
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Reporting UGPA on my application

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:37 am

VasiliTyomny wrote:
icechicken wrote:
VasiliTyomny wrote:Well, if you'd like me to get into specifics my addendum was based on me having a diagnosed medical condition, and I mentioned my divergent GPA as a reflection of that fact. I didn't bring it up in the thread because I did not feel it was relevant to my question in general.


In your OP you said the addendum was meant to explain the discrepancy between your LSDAS GPA and your degree GPA. cavalier is correct that that is useless at best.

If your addendum explains how your medical issues negatively affected your grades, that's a totally different story, but you implied otherwise earlier.


I can see how it can be interpreted as such, even though when I wrote it that wasn't my intent. Regardless of the semantics, would you say that accidentally including my official transcript GPA on two applications I've sent in warrants clarification?


Yes, 100%. And it's not an issue of semantics: a medical condition and your college giving you a better GPA than LSAC are two radically different things. It's absolutely relevant, and it totally changes the question of how and why you should write an addendum.

User avatar
VasiliTyomny
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:41 pm

Re: Reporting UGPA on my application

Postby VasiliTyomny » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:05 pm

icechicken wrote:
VasiliTyomny wrote:would you say that accidentally including my official transcript GPA on two applications I've sent in warrants clarification?


Definitely. Appearing to have misrepresented your GPA to your advantage is a Bad Thing. Email the appropriate admissions offices, explain your mistake, and provide the correct number. This sort of thing happens often enough that it shouldn't be a big deal.


Thanks for the advice, I'll certainly contact those schools correcting my mistake

User avatar
VasiliTyomny
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:41 pm

Re: Reporting UGPA on my application

Postby VasiliTyomny » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:08 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
VasiliTyomny wrote:
icechicken wrote:
VasiliTyomny wrote:Well, if you'd like me to get into specifics my addendum was based on me having a diagnosed medical condition, and I mentioned my divergent GPA as a reflection of that fact. I didn't bring it up in the thread because I did not feel it was relevant to my question in general.


In your OP you said the addendum was meant to explain the discrepancy between your LSDAS GPA and your degree GPA. cavalier is correct that that is useless at best.

If your addendum explains how your medical issues negatively affected your grades, that's a totally different story, but you implied otherwise earlier.


I can see how it can be interpreted as such, even though when I wrote it that wasn't my intent. Regardless of the semantics, would you say that accidentally including my official transcript GPA on two applications I've sent in warrants clarification?


Yes, 100%. And it's not an issue of semantics: a medical condition and your college giving you a better GPA than LSAC are two radically different things. It's absolutely relevant, and it totally changes the question of how and why you should write an addendum.


When I said "I have included an addendum explaining this discrepancy" that does not in and of itself mean that the addendum is solely based around such a discrepancy. Your interpretation of that is regrettable, but since I wasn't asking about the addendum in my question, anything related to it is not relevant to what I wanted to know.

cavalier1138
Posts: 4450
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Reporting UGPA on my application

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:29 pm

I think your best path forward is to be unnecessarily hostile to everyone who can't read your mind. It's going great so far.

Lexigator
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:19 pm

Re: Reporting UGPA on my application

Postby Lexigator » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:21 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I think your best path forward is to be unnecessarily hostile to everyone who can't read your mind. It's going great so far.

I'm going to start saying this to people whenever I can. It's wonderful and I thank you for it.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 5557
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Reporting UGPA on my application

Postby rpupkin » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:12 pm

VasiliTyomny wrote:When I said "I have included an addendum explaining this discrepancy" that does not in and of itself mean that the addendum is solely based around such a discrepancy. Your interpretation of that is regrettable,

In addition to correcting your GPA, you should amend your Interests section on your resume to include: "Using the passive voice when blaming others for misinterpreting my sloppy writing and reasoning."

User avatar
VasiliTyomny
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:41 pm

Re: Reporting UGPA on my application

Postby VasiliTyomny » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:59 am

cavalier1138 wrote:I think your best path forward is to be unnecessarily hostile to everyone who can't read your mind. It's going great so far.


How exactly am I hostile? I asked a question, you answered in a way I didn't expect, you clarified and then I clarified. The only person who I see being hostile is you telling me what is and isn't relevant to a question I asked.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests