February Retake?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ToTakeOrNotToTake
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:47 am

February Retake?

Postby ToTakeOrNotToTake » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:53 am

I am wondering how a February retake would affect my application. I have not yet signed up, but I plan to submit my applications soon and sign up around December.

I was wondering if schools are immediately notified when I sign up for the LSAT and how this would affect my application.

My dream schools are Stanford and Harvard (would like to go into IP with STEM undergrad), and right now I am a 4.1X/172 (from June). I heavily expect a waitlist at these schools, and I was hoping to use a possibly good February LSAT to push me off a possible waitlist. Is this a good plan or is it absolutely terrible?

As a K-JD, I am amenable to a gap year, but that means I have the added stress of job applications...

User avatar
icechicken
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:09 pm

Re: February Retake?

Postby icechicken » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:14 am

Harvard won't take a February LSAT, so, yeah.

Just apply. Your chances are solid at both schools with your current numbers If you have to wait out a cycle to eke out that 173 it's really no big deal. Non-legal work experience using your STEM background will look great on your resume for the IP jobs you're interested in.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 15940
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: February Retake?

Postby Rigo » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:45 am

icechicken wrote:Harvard won't take a February LSAT, so, yeah.

I think when they say that they just mean that February shouldn't be your FIRST LSAT. It can definitely be used for waitlists and such.

User avatar
icechicken
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:09 pm

Re: February Retake?

Postby icechicken » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:22 am

Rigo wrote:
icechicken wrote:Harvard won't take a February LSAT, so, yeah.

I think when they say that they just mean that February shouldn't be your FIRST LSAT. It can definitely be used for waitlists and such.


That makes more sense. I don't think it matters, though. OP is a presumptive admit at Harvard anyway. And they're above both of Stanford's medians already, so if they don't get accepted there it's probably not going to be fixed by a marginally better LSAT; SLS seems to waitlist plenty of 4.1/175 applicants too.

I suppose that if OP slams a 178 or something it might help them turn the corner but (probability of getting waitlisted at S)*(probability that "only" having a 172 was decisive)*(probability that OP can bust into the top half of the 99th percentile in February) has to be a tiny number. Any time they spend prepping for the February LSAT would probably be better spent applying to shiny research jobs or checking out apartment listings in Cambridge.

ETA: I guess what I'm saying, OP, is that the operative difference is whether you're confident you can improve substantially on your retake by February, taking into account classwork and the holidays and all that. If you're confident you can bump yourself into the top half of the 170s by then it might be worthwhile (although, again, I think the marginal case where it matters is unlikely). If you're not so confident I'd just chill out, wait for some decisions to come back, and evaluate your options next year.

ToTakeOrNotToTake
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:47 am

Re: February Retake?

Postby ToTakeOrNotToTake » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:13 pm

icechicken wrote:
Rigo wrote:
icechicken wrote:Harvard won't take a February LSAT, so, yeah.

I think when they say that they just mean that February shouldn't be your FIRST LSAT. It can definitely be used for waitlists and such.


That makes more sense. I don't think it matters, though. OP is a presumptive admit at Harvard anyway. And they're above both of Stanford's medians already, so if they don't get accepted there it's probably not going to be fixed by a marginally better LSAT; SLS seems to waitlist plenty of 4.1/175 applicants too.

I suppose that if OP slams a 178 or something it might help them turn the corner but (probability of getting waitlisted at S)*(probability that "only" having a 172 was decisive)*(probability that OP can bust into the top half of the 99th percentile in February) has to be a tiny number. Any time they spend prepping for the February LSAT would probably be better spent applying to shiny research jobs or checking out apartment listings in Cambridge.

ETA: I guess what I'm saying, OP, is that the operative difference is whether you're confident you can improve substantially on your retake by February, taking into account classwork and the holidays and all that. If you're confident you can bump yourself into the top half of the 170s by then it might be worthwhile (although, again, I think the marginal case where it matters is unlikely). If you're not so confident I'd just chill out, wait for some decisions to come back, and evaluate your options next year.


Thank you for the advice. Yes my 172 was from the June test.

I am moderately confident I can score ~175 with a retake and rigorous studying. My PT scores were all ~173, but looking back my studying was very haphazard. I pretty much did all the published practiced tests, but didn't really track any of my weaknesses. For the June test, I think of could have eked out a few points with a -1 on LG and another stupid mistake *sigh*. While I appreciate the encouragement about Harvard, I feel mylsn overestimates my chances as I am under their median still. As for Stanford, who knows how their black box works...

I guess is their any downside to registering for the Feb. test come Dec.? I guess the only downside would be the cost, which is admittedly a drop in the bucket compared to tuition. I've seen a lot of posts about submitting apps with a pending Dec. test. But in the case of a Feb. test, schools will not know I plan to retake in Feb. Will they be notified?

I was also curious how a retake could affect scholarship negotiations. Would a 175 put me in the running for a named T6 scholarship? Would they be willing to reconsider scholarships with a new score?

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 15940
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: February Retake?

Postby Rigo » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:16 pm

ToTakeOrNotToTake wrote:I was also curious how a retake could affect scholarship negotiations. Would a 175 put me in the running for a named T6 scholarship? Would they be willing to reconsider scholarships with a new score?

For sure & yes.
You're probably looking at a T13 full ride somewhere currently too, which is good. Write Why X essays to avoid YP.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: coskigirl, usaorbust and 6 guests