Does every top school (outside HYSCCN) yield protect?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Does every top school (outside HYSCCN) yield protect?

Postby 38981928 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:48 pm

I'm trying to figure out if I should be writing a "Why" essay for all of them. I didn't do one for Cornell (first app sent) and now I'm kind of getting nervous because I just discovered this whole "yield protection" concept on this forum. I am customizing all my personal statements and diversity statements for each school, with a specific program/clinic/[other specific thing] mentioned on the personal statement.

HenryHankPalmer

Re: Does every top school (outside HYSCCN) yield protect?

Postby HenryHankPalmer » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:32 am

MVPD really, really seem to care about Why Xs.

sparkytrainer

Postby sparkytrainer » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:42 am

I know for certain Duke cares a lot about a legitimate, well-thought out Why essay.

Jack_Kelly

Postby Jack_Kelly » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:47 am

I don't think either Vanderbilt or WUSTL do but most of the lower T13 seem to. Pretty sure UVA is the biggest culprit.
http://mylsn.info/s2kcj5/

HenryHankPalmer

Postby HenryHankPalmer » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:08 am

Jack_Kelly wrote:I don't think either Vanderbilt or WUSTL do but most of the lower T13 seem to. Pretty sure UVA is the biggest culprit.

Yeah, because of their emphasis on interviews you can get away without doing Whys for Vanderbilt and WUSTL. If you are OOS, Texas really, really wants you to do one.

Postby 38981928 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:36 pm

HenryHankPalmer wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:I don't think either Vanderbilt or WUSTL do but most of the lower T13 seem to. Pretty sure UVA is the biggest culprit.

Yeah, because of their emphasis on interviews you can get away without doing Whys for Vanderbilt and WUSTL. If you are OOS, Texas really, really wants you to do one.

Good to know! My numbers are above both of Texas's 75th percentiles and they didn't seem like the biggest culprits of YP so I thought I would be fine not writing one for them, but I actually really, really love Texas and I'm out of state. I have thought about moving to Austin for years for a number of personal reasons so I guess I should write one for them too :D
Last edited by 38981928 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cdotson2

Postby cdotson2 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:41 pm

I think yield protect is overblown on this site, but the phenomenon of getting into better schools and waitlisted or rejected at lower ranking schools happens for cnn too. I think only HYS would be completly devoid of this practice. -speaking from personal experience of being waitlisted at all of CNN and getting into H and S

Postby 38981928 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:52 pm

cdotson2 wrote:I think yield protect is overblown on this site, but the phenomenon of getting into better schools and waitlisted or rejected at lower ranking schools happens for cnn too. I think only HYS would be completly devoid of this practice. -speaking from personal experience of being waitlisted at all of CNN and getting into H and S

Oh wow that's crazy! So would you recommend writing "Why" essays for CCN too? It's not like my numbers are so high that I would be YP-ed from those three (I think?), but I want to help my case as much as possible.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”