Is taking a semester off frowned upon if I use it productively? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Legally-blonde

New

Is taking a semester off frowned upon if I use it productively?

Post by Legally-blonde » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:07 am

Hey y'all, I'm currently a sophomore at Clemson University with a 4.0 GPA (including upper and lower level classes), and I'm considering law school but not sold on it yet. To make a long story short, my father was a military veteran and before I committed to Clemson I was told by the VA, admissions, and financial aid office that because of this I would be able to qualify for instate tuition after living in SC for a year. It definitely seemed too good to be true, but isn't family and I talked to multiple contacts at the school who claimed that it was an easy process, though of course we've found that they are very unwilling to help us now, and I would have to pay the sticker price to come to this school as an out of state student, which I've decided is not worth it for me as I just don't like the school and could be successful elsewhere. I will be transferring for sure next fall semester, and I was considering taking this spring semester off to give me time to find the right school for me personally and financially. I'm not 100% on going to law school yet, but I want to keep my options open. Assuming I keep my GPA near where it is and score pretty well on the LSAT, would I be dismissed by top schools for taking a semester off? If I were to do this I would do something productive in the meantime, such as work, intern oversees or at home, or join a volunteer program such as Americorps.

cavalier1138

Re: Is taking a semester off frowned upon if I use it productively?

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:14 am

No, it's not a problem, and stop thinking about law school admissions.

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Is taking a semester off frowned upon if I use it productively?

Post by Rigo » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:52 am

No. Do it up.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”