Texas Law ED

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
beancounter15

Texas Law ED

Postby beancounter15 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:35 am

Hoping to get an opinion on whether or not I should do Texas Law ED. I am a MA with a 3.1 ( 3.3 Masters in accounting GPA but doubt that helps me much if at all ), 163, and about 1.5 years of WE. I have taken the LSAT 3 times and am currently registered and studying for my 4th take in December. I applied in February of the last cycle with the same stats and was rejected. I'm originally from Texas and that is the school I want to attend regardless of if I receive any money and this is why I have no problem applying early decision. However it states on their website any early decision applicants who are not accepted/held for further review will not be able to reapply for regular decision. I'm confident I will improve my LSAT but also want to show the admissions office my strong desire to attend Texas. However waiting another cycle is not an option and I would be absolutely crushed if I was rejected (especially if I improve my LSAT to where I have been practicing). Please advise

HenryHankPalmer

Re: Texas Law ED

Postby HenryHankPalmer » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:55 am

beancounter15 wrote:Hoping to get an opinion on whether or not I should do Texas Law ED. I am a MA with a 3.1 ( 3.3 Masters in accounting GPA but doubt that helps me much if at all ), 163, and about 1.5 years of WE. I have taken the LSAT 3 times and am currently registered and studying for my 4th take in December. I applied in February of the last cycle with the same stats and was rejected. I'm originally from Texas and that is the school I want to attend regardless of if I receive any money and this is why I have no problem applying early decision. However it states on their website any early decision applicants who are not accepted/held for further review will not be able to reapply for regular decision. I'm confident I will improve my LSAT but also want to show the admissions office my strong desire to attend Texas. However waiting another cycle is not an option and I would be absolutely crushed if I was rejected (especially if I improve my LSAT to where I have been practicing). Please advise

The general consensus around here is not to ED if you can help it. I am a Texas native who also considered EDing, and I do believe it gives you a slight bump, but there are some drawbacks to doing so. As you alluded to, EDing basically guarantees that you will get little to no scholarship money aside from the stipend that comes with your acceptance. That stipend plus in-state tuition makes UT a pretty good value, but you will still be assuming a fairly large amount of loan debt. If UT is absolutely, positively the only law school that you want to attend, and you are comfortable with assuming the debt, then go ahead and ED. Because you already registered in December, I would contact the admissions office and make sure that they won't hold your app pending your next score release.

beancounter15

Postby beancounter15 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:00 pm

I appreciate the response. The debt will not be an issue and I know without any doubt Texas is the school I want to attend. My main concern is my application being outright rejected instead of held over if I am not accepted ED.

HenryHankPalmer

Postby HenryHankPalmer » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:03 pm

beancounter15 wrote:I appreciate the response. The debt will not be an issue and I know without any doubt Texas is the school I want to attend. My main concern is my application being outright rejected instead of held over if I am not accepted ED.

What are your career goals? Based on your dedication to Texas, I am assuming you want to stay in Texas, and UT puts you in the best position to do that, but there are other options that aren't bad fall back plans. SMU and UH don't get a ton of love around here, but neither of them are bad options in their respective cities and you would likely get a pretty good scholarship from both with your numbers.

beancounter15

Postby beancounter15 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:27 pm

Ideally big law, Corporate litigation specifically. SMU was generous with the amount of scholarship they gave last year and it would be my fallback. However I'm from Austin originally and my family as well as significant other still reside there. I'm aware it's incredibly tough to get a Austin big law job and have no problem taking positions in Houston or Dallas upon graduation but I really do want to spend my next three years in Austin at the very least.

icechicken

Postby icechicken » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:12 pm

If you got rejected last year (not even waitlisted), you're probably not going to get accepted with the same stats by applying ED. Any demonstrated-interest bump, which would be a tertiary factor at best anyway, is probably replicated by applying two years in a row and being from Austin.

You're going to sink or swim based on your LSAT, which won't come back until January, and the ED deadline is November 1. Applying early with auto-reject stats only creates the downside you noted (possibility of an immediate ding that makes your December sitting irrelevant).

Seems like a terrible idea. Getting that 167+ and applying RD is your only realistic path to UT.

HenryHankPalmer

Postby HenryHankPalmer » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:19 pm

I missed the part where you applied last cycle. That changes things. I concur with our illustrious Law School ranker Ice Chicken, hold off on ED'ing until you get your December score and apply then.

beancounter15

Postby beancounter15 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:20 pm

I agree my chances of acceptance are slim with current stats. After a call with admissions they said I could petition the admissions committee in an attempt to be reconsidered given an improved LSAT but were not able to guarantee the petition would be accepted. There have been other URMS accepted with similar stats but if the ED application is truly not a bump I suppose it would be tough to justify.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”