Chances: 3.09 Cumulative GPA, 3.51 Major GPA, 160 LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TakeTheOver

Chances: 3.09 Cumulative GPA, 3.51 Major GPA, 160 LSAT

Postby TakeTheOver » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:17 am

Graduated from top 20 non-ivy (think WUSTL, Vanderbilt, Emory, Georgetown). Difference between major GPA and cumulative GPA is due to taking classes as a freshman based on a major I initially wanted to pursue and was completely out of my league (lots of math-related courses and I have a non-verbal learning disorder that makes such classes difficult for me). Between my major GPA and LSAT score, what are my chances at the following schools: Fordham, Brooklyn, Cardozo, Northeastern, American? How would I highlight my major GPA into my application to alleviate concerns about my cumulative GPA? Trying to get my applications out in the next few weeks so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

cavalier1138

Re: Chances: 3.09 Cumulative GPA, 3.51 Major GPA, 160 LSAT

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:21 am

Major GPA is meaningless. Your LSAC GPA is the only number that counts, and it's absolutely pointless to write any addendum about that subject. Writing an addendum for your learning disorder might be helpful, but that's it.

You're probably out of the running for Fordham with your current numbers, and you shouldn't be applying to Northeastern if you want to be a practicing attorney.

cdotson2

Postby cdotson2 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:36 am

are Brooklyn, Cardozo, or American significantly better than northeastern, cav? I agree that options are limited from Northeastern, but they are from all four of these schools so why do you single out Northeastern?It seems like American has the worst employment stats of the four.
Last edited by cdotson2 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

LawTweet

Postby LawTweet » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:37 am

TakeTheOver wrote:Graduated from top 20 non-ivy (think WUSTL, Vanderbilt, Emory, Georgetown). Difference between major GPA and cumulative GPA is due to taking classes as a freshman based on a major I initially wanted to pursue and was completely out of my league (lots of math-related courses and I have a non-verbal learning disorder that makes such classes difficult for me). Between my major GPA and LSAT score, what are my chances at the following schools: Fordham, Brooklyn, Cardozo, Northeastern, American? How would I highlight my major GPA into my application to alleviate concerns about my cumulative GPA? Trying to get my applications out in the next few weeks so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

Might be better to frame your addendum as an upward grade trend and tie it in to developing knowledge of yourself as a learner with a non-verbal learning disability.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:59 pm

cdotson2 wrote:are Brooklyn, Cardozo, or American significantly better than northeastern, cav? I agree that options are limited from Northeastern, but they are from all four of these schools so why do you single out Northeastern?It seems like American has the worst employment stats of the four.

Northeastern seems to have a significantly worse reputation and significantly more bullshit ("We don't grade! Just like Yale!"). But no, in terms of employment stats, none of these are particularly great options at anything less than a full ride.

TakeTheOver

Postby TakeTheOver » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:52 am

LawTweet wrote:
TakeTheOver wrote:Graduated from top 20 non-ivy (think WUSTL, Vanderbilt, Emory, Georgetown). Difference between major GPA and cumulative GPA is due to taking classes as a freshman based on a major I initially wanted to pursue and was completely out of my league (lots of math-related courses and I have a non-verbal learning disorder that makes such classes difficult for me). Between my major GPA and LSAT score, what are my chances at the following schools: Fordham, Brooklyn, Cardozo, Northeastern, American? How would I highlight my major GPA into my application to alleviate concerns about my cumulative GPA? Trying to get my applications out in the next few weeks so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

Might be better to frame your addendum as an upward grade trend and tie it in to developing knowledge of yourself as a learner with a non-verbal learning disability.

What about framing that into my personal statement? Something along the lines of how law school constantly forces you to learn something new and adapt, kind of like how I learned more about myself by confronting my NVLD

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:57 am

TakeTheOver wrote:What about framing that into my personal statement? Something along the lines of how law school constantly forces you to learn something new and adapt, kind of like how I learned more about myself by confronting my NVLD

I wouldn't center your PS on that topic unless you have nothing else worth writing on. You should definitely use an addendum to mention the NVLD, but it's probably not something you want to keep highlighting throughout the application. Also, I strongly recommend avoiding sweeping statements about what law school is as a 0L; it comes off as contrived at best and completely wrong at worst.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”