What are my options?(Doomed...Unusual situation)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
steadfastness11
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:33 am

What are my options?(Doomed...Unusual situation)

Postby steadfastness11 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:51 am

LSAT 168 / LSAC grade :Superior
I am pondering on whether to apply early with 168 or with a higher DEC LSAT(hopefully :shock: :shock: ) and apply in January.
I was PTing in mid 170s but for 3 LSAT tests that I took, I got 167, cancel, 168. I took my first LSAT (167) after less than three weeks of prep and 168 was a huge disappointment considering my PT average. (Cancelled the second test due to test anxiety). I really want to get into T6 even at stickers or t13 with $$.

As far as I know, schools put you on hold when you register for a new test, so technically even if I apply in October, they will start to look at my applications in January.

I thought that If I could get a good score in December like 175+ , this would definitely be a plus factor and it would actually be better than applying early in October with a 168. However, the downside of taking the DEC test will be the risk of getting a low score thus even losing the benefit of early application.

Considering all this, my original plan was to apply early in October or late September for lower T13 law schools like Cornell or Berkeley before I register for the December test.(That way, I would be able to get a bump by applying early and my application will not be put on hold. ) Since with 168, I am barred from the other higher T13s ( presumably HYSCCN, MVP, Duke or NU) applying early wouldn’t confer any advantage so I was planning to apply with a higher score in Jan when I get my Dec LSAT score back.

The problem is that I would not be able to take the DEC LSAT since there’re only 5 days left till late registration for the DEC LSAT, and one of my professor was super late in submitting his letter although I asked him to write the letter in July... So... I wasn’t able to apply despite having my essays ready.
I am worried if I apply tmrw or this weekend, my application will be put on hold.

So, do you guys think it would be better to apply with a 168 early and not register for DEC test so that my app doesn’t get put on hold? Or should I wait until January ‘till I get my Dec score back and apply late?

Thanks a lot
Last edited by steadfastness11 on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nagster5
Posts: 718
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:28 am

Re: What are my options?(Doomed...Unusual situation)

Postby Nagster5 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:54 pm

A 168 doesn't bar you from most of the T14 with a 4.03 GPA. Retake and wait for the LSAT to come back if you really think you'll do better, but it's not like you'll be at cooley or anything if you apply with those numbers. You'll get T14 offers. I guess I don't understand why you think you're doomed? Waiting for the Dec LSAT is not optimal, but you're also free to apply and let them know you'll be retaking and ask for them to put off your decision.

steadfastness11
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:33 am

Re: What are my options?(Doomed...Unusual situation)

Postby steadfastness11 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:23 pm

Nagster5 wrote:A 168 doesn't bar you from most of the T14 with a 4.03 GPA. Retake and wait for the LSAT to come back if you really think you'll do better, but it's not like you'll be at cooley or anything if you apply with those numbers. You'll get T14 offers. I guess I don't understand why you think you're doomed? Waiting for the Dec LSAT is not optimal, but you're also free to apply and let them know you'll be retaking and ask for them to put off your decision.



Oh I am an international applicant so we only get grades in terms of superior, average. LSAC did give me a number GPA and it was 4.03 though. I was wondering if my application will be put on hold if I register for a new LSAT. I wanted to apply early with a 168 and if my application gets put on hold and I don’t get the lsat score that I want in December, it would mean applying in Jan with 168 and this will really lower the chance of admission.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rae1994, thepsychedelic and 12 guests