Apply this cycle or wait another year?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kjr

Apply this cycle or wait another year?

Postby kjr » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:52 am

I am often reading of people with great GPAS and mediocre LSAT asking where they should apply, and very often the answer is "Retake"; it has become almost a joke posting "Retake" under literally any request.
So my question is this. I have good gpa, probably something around 3.95-3.97, but I have been studying for the LSAT only since September, and I want to take in in December to apply this cycle. Currently I am not completely done with 7Sage core, and I still fail at most lGs, so my pt's are very low. (150s)
Now everyone would say I should take the lsat, but if the results are not good, I should wait a year, and get a better result. I understand that - however, I am quite older (32), which makes me really not want to wait another year.
Whats the take on that? I age a acceptable reason to use a mediocre LSAt, and get the law degree? Or should i study more and wait another year, to get a shot at a t13 school. (btw a regional school here has top 50 rating, and very low tuition for in-state students, which I would aim for this year.)

Thanks for any advice

cavalier1138

Re: Apply this cycle or wait another year?

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:55 am

No, age is not an excuse. But what do you want to do with your degree?

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:58 am

Take in February (with a possible retake in June) and apply next year. That GPA is excellent so you'd be doing yourself a great disservice to apply without reaching your full potential on the LSAT.

kjr

Postby kjr » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:58 am

cavalier1138 wrote:No, age is not an excuse. But what do you want to do with your degree?

I want to work as a attorney. I would love to be able to do some international work, but I understand that such is extremely competitive, so I would also be happy to work for a small-midsize firm. I wouldn't want to decide now on a specific area a practice before going to law school.

kjr

Postby kjr » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:59 am

Rigo wrote:Take in February (with a possible retake in June) and apply next year. That GPA is excellent so you'd be doing yourself a great disservice to apply without reaching your full potential on the LSAT.

so you believe age is no factor at all, when it comes to this?

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:09 am

kjr wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:No, age is not an excuse. But what do you want to do with your degree?

I want to work as a attorney. I would love to be able to do some international work, but I understand that such is extremely competitive, so I would also be happy to work for a small-midsize firm. I wouldn't want to decide now on a specific area a practice before going to law school.

Then retake if you don't get a good enough score for top schools (or for full rides to regional powerhouses). If you want options, go to a school that gives you options.

kjr

Postby kjr » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:12 am

ok thanks guys for the input

mcmand

Postby mcmand » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:20 am

Rigo wrote:Take in February (with a possible retake in June) and apply next year. That GPA is excellent so you'd be doing yourself a great disservice to apply without reaching your full potential on the LSAT.

Does the February LSAT still not give out what answers you got right/wrong? If so, seems like the Feb test would not be useful if OP did need to retake.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:04 pm

mcmand wrote:

Does the February LSAT still not give out what answers you got right/wrong? If so, seems like the Feb test would not be useful if OP did need to retake.

It's undisclosed.
Eh I disagree that it's not useful for that reason. People should know their strengths and weaknesses and an official test shouldn't be diagnostic.
At 3-4 months away, February is a good one to shoot for.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”