Sending in apps now with pending Dec score

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gonavy!

Sending in apps now with pending Dec score

Postby gonavy! » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:51 pm

Hi all - appreciate any advice. GPA 3.4. Took the Sept LSAT and got a 163 - RC murdered me and I'm working on it. Disappointed as I was shooting for at least a 167.

Non-traditional, 8 years work experience as Naval officer, LGBT. not URM.

Wondering if I should apply now, or wait until I get my December score to submit apps if I want any shot at UT.
Would submitting apps with a pending Dec score be detrimental? I'm honestly going to apply to UT even if my LSAT is the same in Dec just to take a shot at it.

Thank you for your...candor.

UVA2B

Re: Sending in apps now with pending Dec score

Postby UVA2B » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:04 pm

Are you currently registered for December? If so, schools will be able to see that and will likely hold off on your application until your December score comes back. So it won't be detrimental. And even if you were worried about it, you could just submit the application and notify admissions at the schools you're applying to that you're taking the December LSAT and you'd like them to withhold a decision until that LSAT score comes in. No school I'm aware of would act against that request.

So mostly it won't matter, especially if you handle it right.

cubswin16

Postby cubswin16 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:02 pm

UVA2B wrote:Are you currently registered for December? If so, schools will be able to see that and will likely hold off on your application until your December score comes back. So it won't be detrimental. And even if you were worried about it, you could just submit the application and notify admissions at the schools you're applying to that you're taking the December LSAT and you'd like them to withhold a decision until that LSAT score comes in. No school I'm aware of would act against that request.

So if they just hold off until the new score comes in does it matter if you apply now vs later? Like if one applied now and then asked them to hold off, would your application be held in a more favorable light because it was in earlier?

UVA2B

Postby UVA2B » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:08 pm

cubswin16 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:Are you currently registered for December? If so, schools will be able to see that and will likely hold off on your application until your December score comes back. So it won't be detrimental. And even if you were worried about it, you could just submit the application and notify admissions at the schools you're applying to that you're taking the December LSAT and you'd like them to withhold a decision until that LSAT score comes in. No school I'm aware of would act against that request.

So if they just hold off until the new score comes in does it matter if you apply now vs later? Like if one applied now and then asked them to hold off, would your application be held in a more favorable light because it was in earlier?

No. Either way you're not being considered for acceptance/rejection until that LSAT comes in. It's not detrimental to apply now, but it won't also help you because the application was submitted earlier.

Imagine it this way. Admissions are dealing with waves of applications throughout the cycle (thousands of applications in a given cycle). They are prepping right now for a decent one with the September LSAT coming out. They'll be processing each application with cursory yes/no/maybe piles based on numbers and a few other factors (this is overly simplistic because these are real people reading these applications with an eye toward how they want to form the incoming class, but there will be categorical decisions made on a bunch of applications). One of those factors that matters is whether a changed LSAT is possible, so they'll immediately defer that application until they have that new information. It doesn't mean that application gets looked at first once the new score comes in necessarily, but it just goes into the file that will be opened when the new December LSAT wave comes in.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”