ED PENN?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
phillyboy23
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:09 pm

ED PENN?

Postby phillyboy23 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:17 pm

Hi,
Trying to decide if I should go ED Penn with a 3.97/171 & strong softs. I took the LSAT 4 times to get the 171 so I'm not sure how admissions will look at that.

I don't want to risk going Regular and not getting in, but I also don't want to go ED if its not necessary and give up the opportunity for some scholarship money.

Thoughts?

User avatar
icechicken
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:09 pm

Re: ED PENN?

Postby icechicken » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:24 pm

ED would be a terrible decision. You have great chances everywhere except HYS (and you have a decent shot at S if you write a strong app). Apply to Penn and a half-dozen of its peers and you should get in with great money.

LSstudent
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:08 pm

Re: ED PENN?

Postby LSstudent » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:24 pm

Your numbers are solid and competitive for some money. I would suggest you do not ED, but do write a nice Why Penn for them.

phillyboy23
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: ED PENN?

Postby phillyboy23 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:34 pm

icechicken wrote:ED would be a terrible decision. You have great chances everywhere except HYS (and you have a decent shot at S if you write a strong app). Apply to Penn and a half-dozen of its peers and you should get in with great money.


The 4 test scores don't change your response?

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 15803
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: ED PENN?

Postby Rigo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:34 pm

Absolutely not.

User avatar
OakBrook2021
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:30 pm

Re: ED PENN?

Postby OakBrook2021 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:55 pm

I wouldn't (and didn't). Idk what your career goals look like but Penn probably isn't the only place that can get you there.

User avatar
Mullens
Posts: 958
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:34 am

Re: ED PENN?

Postby Mullens » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:31 pm

ED doesn't really do much for your chances at Penn. might as well ED and not pay $300,000+ for law school with those numbers. You'll get great money somewhere (probably at Penn too)

phillyboy23
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: ED PENN?

Postby phillyboy23 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:46 pm

Mullens wrote:ED doesn't really do much for your chances at Penn. might as well ED and not pay $300,000+ for law school with those numbers. You'll get great money somewhere (probably at Penn too)


Worried if I do go ED I preclude myself from being considered for $$, but also worried if I don't go ED they may look at my 4 test scores as a deterrent.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 15803
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: ED PENN?

Postby Rigo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:47 pm

phillyboy23 wrote:
Mullens wrote:ED doesn't really do much for your chances at Penn. might as well ED and not pay $300,000+ for law school with those numbers. You'll get great money somewhere (probably at Penn too)

Worried if I do go ED I preclude myself from being considered for $$, but also worried if I don't go ED they may look at my 4 test scores as a deterrent.

They don't give a shit about your 4 test scores.
And yeah you will 100% lose out on scholarship money EDing.

phillyboy23
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: ED PENN?

Postby phillyboy23 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:48 pm

Rigo wrote:Absolutely not.


Thoughts on the 4 LSAT's? Also, does Penn offer any money to ED admits?

phillyboy23
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: ED PENN?

Postby phillyboy23 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:50 pm

Rigo wrote:
phillyboy23 wrote:
Mullens wrote:ED doesn't really do much for your chances at Penn. might as well ED and not pay $300,000+ for law school with those numbers. You'll get great money somewhere (probably at Penn too)

Worried if I do go ED I preclude myself from being considered for $$, but also worried if I don't go ED they may look at my 4 test scores as a deterrent.

They don't give a shit about your 4 test scores.
And yeah you will 100% lose out on scholarship money EDing.


Thanks! Disregard other post. Typing while you were answering

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 15803
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: ED PENN?

Postby Rigo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:50 pm

phillyboy23 wrote:
Rigo wrote:Absolutely not.

Thoughts on the 4 LSAT's? Also, does Penn offer any money to ED admits?

Answered above. They will only consider your 171.
And no they do not. Do not be fooled if they tell you otherwise.
You could snag nearly a full ride from Penn RD. Just write a strong Why Penn essay.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3454
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: ED PENN?

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:05 am

I had 4 LSATs. No one gave a shit. I got into every school I did with 3 LSATs except with more money due to the LSAT increase.

Do not ED. You will get some good offers at good schools.

phillyboy23
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: ED PENN?

Postby phillyboy23 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:30 pm

I visited HLS today and fell in love with the whole package. I’m not sure I have the number it takes to get in but will apply.

My new fear is that I will go regular to Penn and they will be conserned with YP so will weightlist me and then I won’t get in at Harvard bc my number are not strong enough.

Any suggestions and could we discuss YP?

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 15803
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: ED PENN?

Postby Rigo » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:40 pm

Write a convincing Why Penn essay. Your numbers are prime territory for Penn and not high enough for you to surely have better options (in their eyes), which also helps to avoid YP.

phillyboy23
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: ED PENN?

Postby phillyboy23 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:51 pm

Rigo wrote:Write a convincing Why Penn essay. Your numbers are prime territory for Penn and not high enough for you to surely have better options (in their eyes), which also helps to avoid YP.

What makes the best “why” essay? Do they really want to hear all the same old same old about this professor or that course. Etc etc. or can I tell the truth and focus on my earliest childhood memories are of playing on the cracked metal button out side of the main library with my undergrad student babysitter, while my mother did research inside for her graduate program. The excitement I felt about being on campus then has not left me. And then go into some other stuff. Can I say that it’s my first choice in the essay because it still is? But won’t they question that if it’s my first choice why didn’t I go ed?

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 15803
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: ED PENN?

Postby Rigo » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:55 pm

1) if you have personal reasons for wanting to go, I'd definitely work those in. Even saying you're from Philly wanting to stay there and practice there is huge and easily believable (I'm assuming you're from Philly based on username).
2) no they will not question why you didn't ED even if it's your first choice because it would be the biggest mistake ever to ED with your numbers and even they know that.

phillyboy23
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: ED PENN?

Postby phillyboy23 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:56 pm

A technical question:

Do I enter all four scores into the standardized test sections on the apps or should I only manually enter my 171 and let the others get sent my Lsac?

phillyboy23
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: ED PENN?

Postby phillyboy23 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:58 pm

Rigo wrote:1) if you have personal reasons for wanting to go, I'd definitely work those in. Even saying you're from Philly wanting to stay there and practice there is huge and easily believable (I'm assuming you're from Philly based on username).
2) no they will not question why you didn't ED even if it's your first choice because it would be the biggest mistake ever to ED with your numbers and even they know that.

Thank so much for all of this input. Feeling a little better now.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 15803
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: ED PENN?

Postby Rigo » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:59 pm

phillyboy23 wrote:A technical question:
Do I enter all four scores into the standardized test sections on the apps or should I only manually enter my 171 and let the others get sent my Lsac?

I forget what the question even asks. If it asks for all scores, then enter them all.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 15803
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: ED PENN?

Postby Rigo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:03 am

Also go visit the law school if it's really close so you can talk about visiting (or maybe you already have). That will be the cherry on top of showing interest.

Good luck. Still apply to the entire T13 obviously (leaving off Yale and Berkeley to save on app fees if you want).

cavalier1138
Posts: 4312
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: ED PENN?

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:36 am

phillyboy23 wrote:I visited HLS today and fell in love with the whole package. I’m not sure I have the number it takes to get in but will apply.

My new fear is that I will go regular to Penn and they will be conserned with YP so will weightlist me and then I won’t get in at Harvard bc my number are not strong enough.

Any suggestions and could we discuss YP?


Try not to get seduced by campus visits and packaging. You're applying to law school to get a job, and there are a bunch of schools that aren't Harvard or Penn which would be great for that. Don't overlook them by treating this like the undergrad application process.

phillyboy23
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: ED PENN?

Postby phillyboy23 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:19 pm

Rigo wrote:
phillyboy23 wrote:A technical question:
Do I enter all four scores into the standardized test sections on the apps or should I only manually enter my 171 and let the others get sent my Lsac?

I forget what the question even asks. If it asks for all scores, then enter them all.

"Indicate dates you have taken or plan to take the LSAT."

I guess that means all...

phillyboy23
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: ED PENN?

Postby phillyboy23 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:20 pm

Rigo wrote:1) if you have personal reasons for wanting to go, I'd definitely work those in. Even saying you're from Philly wanting to stay there and practice there is huge and easily believable (I'm assuming you're from Philly based on username).
2) no they will not question why you didn't ED even if it's your first choice because it would be the biggest mistake ever to ED with your numbers and even they know that.

Would you consider taking a look at my drafted Why Penn?

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 15803
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: ED PENN?

Postby Rigo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:41 pm

phillyboy23 wrote:Would you consider taking a look at my drafted Why Penn?

Sure. Feel free to pm.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MichiganHoosier, phillyboy23 and 7 guests