Help with application plan

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jjdude14

Help with application plan

Postby jjdude14 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:23 pm

Hello all,

I am an African American male with a 3.83 GPA and I just learned that I got a 158 on the September LSAT when I was PTing at 163-168. My low score was due to a stupid bubbling error, had I not done that I would've hit 164. I have already signed up for a December retake.

My immediate career goal is mainly BigLaw in either Chicago or LA. My original targets were Chicago, Northwestern, UMich, or UCLA in that order followed by WUSTL/Vandy and Georgetown.

Now I had planned on EDing Northwestern in hopes of the 150K scholly, my question is do y'all think it'd be worth it to still try for it with my September score? The deadline for ED is before the December LSAT. If I was deferred to RD do you think they'd then look at my (presumably higher) December LSAT. Should I write an LSAT addendum (ugh)?

Also, is it would it be a good idea to hold off on all my other apps until January? I know URMs are supposed to apply as early as possible in the cycle so I'm a little worried about the delay.

icechicken

Re: Help with application plan

Postby icechicken » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:42 pm

You gotta retake. With a 165+ or so, you shouldn't need ED for Northwestern or at least one of its peers to offer you a ton of money.

jjdude14

Postby jjdude14 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:06 pm

Like I said, I'll definitely be retaking in December, I'm mostly concerned with the question of whether I should try for the Northwestern ED scholarship

icechicken

Postby icechicken » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:17 pm

jjdude14 wrote:Like I said, I'll definitely be retaking in December, I'm mostly concerned with the question of whether I should try for the Northwestern ED scholarship

You're highly unlikely to get it with a 158. People with similar numbers have gotten into NU, according to mylsn, but the more likely outcome is WL and, among admits, nobody is getting more than a medium (<$100k) scholarship anywhere in the T13 except for one dude with a 3.9 at Berkeley. They use that ED money to poach candidates whom they otherwise couldn't get, and 158s are plentiful.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”