Is it normal to not feel "prepared" for LS but still apply?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BU2014

Is it normal to not feel "prepared" for LS but still apply?

Postby BU2014 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:52 pm

I've known I've wanted to go to law school since freshman year of college. When I graduated college I told myself I'd work for a year and take some time off and then apply and then i'll feel "ready". Fast forward to now I feel like I'm just biding time (working low salary entry level jobs) before I do what i ultimately want to do (law school) because I still don't feel like I can keep up with law school.

This mostly comes from browsing the Linkedins of law students and seeing their ridiculous legal experience before even going to law school. All I have done is work for a government office for the last year and a legal internship in college.

What I'm really trying to ask...is it normal to feel not prepared for law school BECAUSE you see the caliber of other law students/applicants and you feel like you aren't at that level?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Mullens

Re: Is it normal to not feel "prepared" for LS but still apply?

Postby Mullens » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:08 pm

Well considering there isn't really anything that prepares you for the law school learning and exam style, you'll be in the same position as everyone else.

Damage Over Time

Re: Is it normal to not feel "prepared" for LS but still apply?

Postby Damage Over Time » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:12 pm

BU2014 wrote:This mostly comes from browsing the Linkedins of law students and seeing their ridiculous legal experience before even going to law school. All I have done is work for a government office for the last year and a legal internship in college.

Honestly the legal internship / gov't office work is pretty solid as far as experience is concerned. I didn't have any legal experience when I started LS (had a year of totally unrelated work experience) and I was mostly just shocked at how many K-JDs there were at my school.

You may never feel "ready" and that's okay.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”